Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers

Gosh, who would have thought a five-minute tribute would generate this much controversy? I'm obviously in the minority that likes this year's "TCM Remembers."

I spent a lot of time in motels when I was in my 20s, and currently I work in a luxury hotel, so this tribute has extra resonance for me. One of my sometime duties in my present job is to photograph newly vacated rooms, particularly if they've been trashed, for legal and/or insurance purposes. There's something that hangs in a room after it's been vacated, an almost ghostly feeling that makes you think the person's still there -- it's hard to explain if you haven't experienced it. Likewise, the people who have died this year have also left something behind -- their films, and other accomplishments -- that give us the feeling that they're still with us, even though they're gone. (Matter of fact, that's something like what we do on these message boards.)

That's what I think this tribute is saying to all those who have departed: "We know you're gone, but you've left so much behind we will continue to appreciate -- and we'll never forget. Thanks for staying with us this short time, and God speed."

And frankly, if all you take away from this is the image of a toilet bowl which you saw for maybe six seconds as one of many features of a motel room -- well, I have to wonder . . .

Message was edited by:

coffeedan

moviejoe79:

>>> And Snik, maybe you get away with this kind of behavior on other message boards (which I'm sure you frequent, since people like you love them), but, on these boards we try to have civilized conversations, which is what this one was, before you came along. <<<

Yeah yeah, it's all my fault, right. I simply presented an unpopular opinion, was bashed for it, I retaliate in turn and now it's my fault that this thread has degraded into what it is now. Because, you know, no one else had anything to do with it but me. You're an idiot, and your logic as well as your critical thinking skills leave a lot to be desired. What the hell kind of backwoods, hill billy, two bit high school did you graduate from, gramps? Because they sure as hell forgot how to teach you to think for yourself.

moviejoe79:

>>> Take your foul remarks and nasty attitude someplace else. And that's all I have to say to you. I won't even reply to your next remark (which I'm sure is forthcoming), since it's not worth it. <<<

Uh huh. I thank you for your participation in this thread and I doubt this will be the last time you respond to me, pops. Don't threaten me with your sniveling and arrogant holier-than-thou attitude. It's obvious that your mental capacity to keep up with the younger generation is about as large as that ego you like to shove down peoples throats. Go ahead. feign indifference about me on your behalf. It just goes to show that not only are you a whiny old bastard, but you got your **** publically handed to you and you can't take a little adversity on a message board.

moviejoe79:

>>> I suggest we all follow Path's advice. <<<

I said the same thing to lzcutter and so I'll say it to you. Get your nose out of path40a's ****. Dogs do that. You aren't a dog are you? Because you have all the qualities of one, except loyalty.

Strictly on an emotional level I didn't care for the piece. Too much time spent on jump cuts and camera tricks and not enough on the people being honored. I don't know the talent but he doesn't have much of a voice. I certainly qualify as old fashioned but I think these kind of rememberances are best served straight. There was one several years ago that had some beautiful music along with several photos of each person from different roles or at different times of their lives. The photos were faded over each other. No singing, no narration. Just a peaceful contemplative mood in which to ponder the names and their gifts.

FYI ... a total of 39 persons are included in this year's piece, sequentially:

Sandra Dee, Virginia Mayo, John Vernon, Tonino Delli Colli, Simone Simon, Eddie Albert, Marc Lawrence, Arthur Miller, Ruth Hussey, Ossie Davis, Gavin Lambert, Keith Andes, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Evan Hunter, Guy Green, Harold J. Stone, Pat Morita, Ismail Merchant, Sir John Mills, Richard Pryor, Kay Walsh, Teresa Wright, Suzanne Flon, John Box, Jocelyn Brando, Ernest Lehman, Linda Martinez, Morris Engel, Barbara Bel Geddes, Robert Wise, June Haver, Brock Peters, Eddie Bunker, Ruth Warrick, Lane Smith, Stanley De Santis, Jean Parker, Sheree North, and Anne Bancroft

I just saw the tribute for the second time, and was shocked to see Linda Martinez passed away. She was a such a young, beautiful and talented woman. I remember seeing over and over again, the composer competition she was in, in between movies on TCM, a couple of years ago. While most of the people that passed this year were old, this is a tragic loss.

> That's what I think this tribute is saying to all

> those who have departed: "We know you're gone, but

> you've left so much behind we will continue to

> appreciate -- and we'll never forget. Thanks for

> staying with us this short time, and God speed."

It's also saying: They've checked out!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I agree with MARYLAND, the music does nothing for me personally. I guess if we are seeing the people who passed away, music that people are familiar with or even James Blunt's song "You're Beautiful" would be more fitting to make one shed a tear for these people who did so much to help entertain us. Plus stop fading and jumping! The stars deserve better.

Hi,

I am an avid TCM viewer and have been for more than 20 years. Each year I view "TCM Remembers" and recall all the wonderful works created by the various artists who have left us. Each year, the presentations are displayed with dignity and care. Clear presentations of each artist are shown.

This year was a total departure from the past. From the introduction of the piece to the end, I was confused about what the theme was trying to state and the picture inserts were too quickly displayed. I sometimes didn't have time to match the face with the name and the artist's specialty. Sometimes pictures were shown without information and then later reappeared with information about the artist.

Of all of the years that I have viewed this type of work, this was indeed the worst that I have seen. For such a sensitive piece, it was handled with too much artistry. At this time, these artists deserve simplicity--not artistry. Their contributions to the arts have already given us artistry.

filmclassics

I, too, was disappointed in the presentation. A memorial should be a time for reflection and a moment to respect the individual. Yes, I am old (relatively) but, so are most of the movies on TCM. We who watch the movies on TCM aren't interested in the newer stuff (at the moment) or we would be on another channel. We like the older way of doing things or we wouldn't be here. Mine is only one voice, but, I would like to have seen it done differently, or possibly again.

> The musician is a fellow by the name of Joe Henry.

> The title of the song is "Flesh And Blood" off the

> Tiny Voices album, track 11. The album itself is very

> good. I find to be very mellow and easy listening on

> quiet, rainy days.

Thank you for this info. I love this music, and I think this year's TCM Remembers is very well done.

Is there any way TCM could have streaming videos of the "TCM Remembers" montages on this website? Everyone seems to love them so much and wants to see them again (myself included!). Perhaps they could even offer past "TCM Remembers" montages from prior years, too. I'd LOVE to see that! What say ye, TCM???

I'd also like to see streaming video of past TCM remembers. The first TCM remembers I saw--and it was completely by chance--was when Katharine Hepburn and Gregory Peck died. And I thought it was very well done. I wouldn't have bothered to try to see last years "remembers" had it not been for the death of my favorite actor Marlon Brando. And again I felt the memorial was well done. This year's memorial I barely caught and had a hard time making out some of the names because they were flashed on screen so quickly so it would be nice to have that streaming video.

Perhaps when they (tcm) hires a person or staff that really knows just what the hell they're doing because as of right now-who ever it is, a live person or some computer 'thing' that selects what is shown then, could be we'll get more of a variety in what is currently being shown. AND as for their tcm remembers: that group who compiled what was aired ought to be let go as the people who passed on what was shown. Apparently Osborn has no say or clout OR, if he thought it was just fine, then I do believe he ought to rethink just where he is from where he now sits!

Leo,

I doubt that Robert Osbourne had anything to do with the TCM Remembers spot or was even involved with signing off on it.

We still don't know if the piece was done in house or if TCM uses an outside company for their various "spots".

When it was delivered for air, someone signed off on it. But, without alot more prove, I would not lay the blame for this on Osbourne.

That's just like you Leo, to want to get someone fired just as the New Year begins.

And to bring our respected host Robert Osborne into your web of incessant jabber is asinine.

In any event, Happy New Year to you from Henry Potter, and the gang at Do Wah Ditty's in Nome, Alaska.

I, too, looked for a link and e-mailed TCM regarding this. Your suggestion is a good one and they should include the "TCM Remembers" spots (present and past) on the Web site as they are good informationally as well as well-produced. Incidentally, I was a bit lost with this year's also. I'm keeping an open mind but if an explanation for what was intended by the spot is necessary, I guess it didn't work.