Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

christmas movies

yeah, and I have to ask, tonight they're supposed to be showing Christmas theme movies, but right now "Fitzwilly" is on, and so far I don't see any Christmas connection at all? I guess I'll have to keep watching!

And I would love to see "The Bishop's Wife" too. I love that movie and haven't seen it in awhile. I would also love to see "The Man Who Came To Dinner" again. That's a great Christmas movie, and a very funny one too. Maybe next year TCM will play it around this time.

I watched the movie tonight just prior to Fitzwilly, although my mind can't seem to bring up the name of it. It had Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh. It was wonderful! I turn to goo every time I see Mitchum. My point is that it was a delightful Christmas movie, and I am thrilled that I got to see it. I must review the schedule to get the movie title so I can watch it again someday!

chillybug, the movie was "Holiday Affair," and I've heard that it's a great movie, but haven't seen it yet myself. Funny enough, a critic mentioned it on a radio talk show the other day on NPR as his favorite Christmas movie, which was surprising to hear. They even played a sound clip from it. It's not really regarded as one of the all time great Christmas movies, but it sounds like it should be, since I've only heard good things about it.

And I saw that "Fitzwilly" did have a Christmas theme, and it was a pretty good movie. Dick Van Dyke was great in it, and it was nice to see him in a more sinister role, rather than a goofy good guy like he usually is.

I watched Holiday Affair last nite on TCM. It's hard to believe this simply brilliant Xmas gem has escaped me all thses years. Gordon Gebert, whom i've never heard of, gives the most natural performance i've yet to see from any child actor. Hilarious, I couldn't stop watching it for a second. Does anyone know if it's available on DVD? Does anyone have info on Gordon Gebert? I can;t seem to find anything on the web after 1959 about him.

I'm adding this film to my Xmas classics.

Merry Xmas everybody!

Holiday Affair was good ... anything Mitchum does is good. I think TCM is skimping on the Christmas movies this year or showing some greats much too late at night. Since You Went Away is on very late tonight and that stinks, because it's very moving and has great performances. I would love to see them aquire March of the Wooden Soldiers with Laurel & Hardy. A classic. I wish TCM would make all of December Christmas movies in the future, whereas this year, they're just giving us a few day's worth.

Here's my Christmas movie "wish list" for TCM in Dec. '06:

"Remember the Night" (1940)

"The Way of All Flesh" (1940)

"Scrooge" aka "A Christmas Carol" (1951) --- as good as the 1938 version is, this one is even better

"The Lemon Drop Kid" (1951), in which Bob Hope introduced the song "Silver Bells"

I so agree with Wayne. The 1951 version of A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim is the best version ever made. It is a little darker than the version playing on TCM this month and definitely brings home the message of redemption so much better.

Somebody please help me. I know a Christmas Story is a classic, but I don't get it. I don't find it funny at all (except the Chinese restaurant scene). I could do without this "classic" for the rest of my Christmas's

Also on my top 5 are White Christmas, The Bishop's Wife, It's a Wonderful Life and the animated Santa Claus is coming to town.

I'm not a big fan of Sims' Scrooge. I don't mind versions that add to the story, but that movie's additions were mostly boring clutter. I think Albert Finney was the best Scrooge even though it was a musical. None of the versions are really definitive of the book and you'd have to pick out certain performances a la carte from all of them to put together the best cast.

A Christmas story is a classic because it's the only movie that really captures what Christmas is to a kid, and it's so well done. I think Darren McGavin is hilarious in it. The looks he gives his family and shaking his head at them is a hoot.

My chief difficulty with A Christmas Story is that I find it distractingly anachronistic. Even with some old-fashioned clothing thrown in here and there, everyone looks so very 1980s when it is supposed to be the 1940s (especially Jean's mom). Thank heaven movies have become increasingly good at accurately capturing the look of a time period. I remember the first movie that I thought got it nearly perfect: Back to the Future.

I think just the opposite, Back To The Future looks very 80s to me. A Christmas Story is one of the very few movies that gets it right. BTTF, and just about every other movie that depicts the 20s-50s, makes the mistake of basing the characters's looks on how Hollywood depicted them at the time in movies (or TV in the 50s). ACS bases the characters on real people, not that era's Hollywood version of the time. The only other movies that get this right are Woody Allen's, especially Radio Days.

We-eell, I dunno; I have a pretty good grip on pop culture/fashion history, and I still maintain that the look of everyday life as depicted in ACS is not as accurate as, say, Racing With the Moon or In the Mood or A League of Their Own. But I do agree that Woody Allen usually gets it right.

As for BTTF, remember that the "present-day" part of it was set in 1985 (Whoosh, hard to believe that film is 21 years old!).

All I can tell you is, after years of seeing "Happy Days" depictions of 1950s youth, BTTF was a breath of fresh, accurate air.

The problem most period movies depicting that era make is putting the actors in brand spanking new clothes in that era's style, as opposed to that lived-in look. To me BTTF does that. Everyone is too clean cut. But I haven't seen it almost since it came out, never really cared for it. Anything with a Huey Lewis soundtrack gives me suicidal thoughts.