Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Birthday, Gig Young

sapphiere

I wanted to give a shout out to Gig Young on two performances that I especially like. The first is YOUNG AT HEART 1954 starring Doris Day and Frank Sinatra. This movie is a musical remake of FOUR DAUGHTERS. This version has three daughters Doris, Dorothy Malone, and Elisabeth Fraser. The father is played by Robert Keith (father of Brian Keith), and his sister Aunt Jessie is portrayed by Ethel Barrymore. Alex Burke (Gig) comes to the CT. home of  the Tuttle family. He is a songwriter working on a new Broadway musical.Soon all three daughters are infatuated with the brash Alex, who always knows the right thing to say. I especially like the song Doris sings to Alex during a family gettogether at the beach HOLD ME IN YOUR ARMS. Alex needs help with the arrangements, and he asks his friend Barney Sloan (Frank Sinatra) to assist him. Complications soon arise between Doris, Gig, and Frank. I like the range of emotions Gig gave in his performance. Unfortunately this movie is not scheduled next month for the celebration of Frank`s 100th birthday and his selection as December SOTM. The movie is underrated, but it remains one of my favorites. The second movie TEACHER`S PET 1958 also stars Doris Day and Gig Young. Doris plays Erica Stone a professor who teaches a journalism class in night school. Clark is the tough city editor of a newspaper, who is ordered by hiss boos to take Doris`s class to prepare for a lecture. Gig Young is psychologist Dr. Hugo Pine, a beau of Doris. Gig was adept at drama or comedy, and he was nominated for a best supporting actor award for this performance. Gig had a troubled life, but these two films are just a sample of his talents. He did win the best supporting award in 1969 for his role as the promoter of a 1930`s marathon dance contest in THEY SHOOT HORSES DON`T THEY?.  

• Like 1

I was always more familiar over the years of Gig Young being the perrenial "best bud" and confidant of leading men in movies, and the guy who never got the girl.

But also, over time, I became more aware of his vast filmography.  But also I usually expected him to have the role of a likeable fellow( but "They Shoot Horses"....kinds changed THAT.) and usually enjoyed seeing him and his performances in movies.

Sure, he certainly IS deserved of a birthday tribute.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I was always more familiar over the years of Gig Young being the perrenial "best bud" and confidant of leading men in movies, and the guy who never got the girl.

But also, over time, I became more aware of his vast filmography.  But also I usually expected him to have the role of a likeable fellow( but "They Shoot Horses"....kinds changed THAT.) and usually enjoyed seeing him and his performances in movies.

Sure, he certainly IS deserved of a birthday tribute.

Sepiatone

Starred in "Walking Distance", one of the best TZ episodes.

Here's someone who appeared so charming on the outside but inside perhaps was not so similar to his screen roles. I always do enjoy his performances and think he is masterful at comedy and tragedy, as in "They Shoot Horses Don't They?". Somehow I never could imagine him with Elizabeth Montgomery.

• Like 1

I liked him in LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS (1970). 

My guess is the murder/suicide bit that ended his life and his young bride of 3 weeks doesn't help his cause to have a birthday tribute.  

There's such a laundry list of actors and actresses who've had issues with booze it's hard to keep track of them all. 

• Like 1

Starred in "Walking Distance", one of the best TZ episodes.

Oh yeah.  I always liked that Zone episode.  But....

Notice Gig Young was GIG YOUNG in that one.  More or less the same kind of guy he usually portrayed in most of his movies.  Both me and my brother, who also liked Gig, both remarked that we liked his role in THEY SHOOT HORSES...etc. for the same reason.

His character in that one was such a departure from what we've long expected from Gig in any movie.  And it did blow us away!

Sepiatone

I liked him in LOVERS AND OTHER STRANGERS (1970). 

My guess is the murder/suicide bit that ended his life and his young bride of 3 weeks doesn't help his cause to have a birthday tribute.  

There's such a laundry list of actors and actresses who've had issues with booze it's hard to keep track of them all. 

A greater % than the general population? It seems so, and the question is why. THe career ups and downs?

Gig Young costarred in two films that are never shown COME FILL THE CUP 1951 with James Cagney, ASK ANY GIRL 1959 with David Niven and Shirley MacLaine. The first film earned Gig a best supporting actor nomination. He will be seen in DESK SET 1957 on November 26, and his name in the marvelous Twilight Zone episode is Martin Sloan.The only Gig movie I watched yesterday was THE GIRL WHO HAD EVERYTHING 1953. He had one of his usual boyfriend in the background roles, but I like the film. 

Gig Young costarred in two films that are never shown COME FILL THE CUP 1951 with James Cagney

Gig Young is highly effective in Come Fill the Cup, with an easy going charm supplimenting his portrait of a self absorbed, irresponsible alcoholic. He has, in particular, one harrowingly memorable scene in which his character tries to go cold turkey. This is a far cry from the tipsy character he would later play in so many comedies.

I suspect that Young's Oscar nomination for this film could largely be due to that cold turkey scene alone.

Come Fill the Cup also has strong work by both James Cagney (effectively understated) and James Gleason as a pair of AAers sharing the same digs together.

• Like 1

Gig Young is highly effective in Come Fill the Cup, with an easy going charm supplimenting his portrait of a self absorbed, irresponsible alcoholic. He has, in particular, one harrowingly memorable scene in which his character tries to go cold turkey. This is a far cry from the tipsy character he would later play in so many comedies.

I suspect that Young's Oscar nomination for this film could largely be due to that cold turkey scene alone.

Come Fill the Cup also has strong work by both James Cagney (effectively understated) and James Gleason as a pair of AAers sharing the same digs together.

I am happy that you were able to see this film. TCM does not have every Warner Brothers movies in their library. The director of the film. Gordon Douglas in my opinion is underated. He was a favorite of frank Sinatra`s directing YOUNG AT HEART 1954, ROBIN AND THE 7 HOODS 1964, THE DETECTIVE 1968, TONY ROME 1967, and LADY IN CEMENT 1968. He also directed THE MCCONNELL STORY 1955,KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE 1951, and THE SINS OF RACHEL CADE 1961ND RIO CONCHOS 1964. The films listed are representative of the wide variety of genres Gordon directed.