Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SAMSON AND DELILAH

edgeciff

I was checking out TCM's new data base for background into on this 1949 DeMille classic. British actress Phyllis Calvert was originally cast as Semander but had to withdraw due to illness and was replaced by Angela Lansbury. The oddest bit of info was that Betty Hutton was considered for the role of Delilah. This seems hard to believe. It would have been gross miscasting and Hutton surely would have ruined this film. Incidently, I can't understand why Paramount has not released this epic on DVD as yet.

Betty Hutton? That does surprise me. It sounds to me that since Hutton was a popular star under contract to Paramount, at the time, they wanted to put in for added boxoffice value. I'm sure DeMille put the brakes on that idea really fast. As to why it's not out on DVD, I guess we'd have to ask Paramount. While they do release classics at a pretty good rate now, they still have a quite a good backlog in the vaults. They're about to release "The Ten Commandments" for the THIRD time, but they're sitting on a lot of great films that have never been released on DVD. Gimme a break. As for S&D perhaps, it's in poor condition and needs restoration which takes time and money.