Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John Wayne Quiet Man - Are current versions PC edited?

Gary747

When the older woman following Wayne & O'Hara (He's walkin' her back) hands Shawn "a good stick to beat the lovely lady", did he put O'Hara across his knee and give her a few whacks?

Both my VHS and DVD version have what appears to be a rather awkward "cut" at this point of the film... the music flow "jumps", and the immediate scene following does not follow that famous lead-in. As if the spanking was cut from the film.

So, what do you think... has PC invaded this John Wayne film? Or, is this the way it was shown from the first?

Not to my memory. It's one of my favorite films. The closest he comes to that is when he kicks her in the backside after Maureen takes a swing at him. He does drag her a bit but I don't recall him ever hitting her. Could you be thinking of "McLintock" where he does give her a couple of whacks with a small shovel (like for a fireplace) while she is across his knee?

You are correct about "McClintock", and even "Donovan's Reef" has such a scene. I just seem to remember years ago that the stick was also used in "Quiet Man, but I'm just not certain. The rather poor "edit" within "Quiet man" makes me wonder if the scene was cut from the original film at some point.

Having seen "The Quiet Man" numerous times, including an orginal 35mm Technicolor print, I can assure you that Sean never actually strikes Mary Kate with the stick. A few years ago while visiting Ireland and while in the small village of Cong, where much of the movie was filmed, I bought Des MacHale's book "The Complete Guide to The Quiet Man" which is a definative work on the subject. In regards to the so called "dragging scene" I'll quote from the book:

"And now we come to what is perhaps the most famous and best line in 'The Quiet Man' spoken by May Craig, just as a mother-in-law would chastise her errant daughter-in-law. As she hands Sean the two-pronged stick she picked up she shouts 'Mister, Mister, oh, sir, sir, here's a good stick to beat the lovely lady'. Mary Kate gasps at this. but the way Sean says 'Thanks' as he takes the stick is meant to convey to the onlookers that this time he might very well use it." The key here was that he only wanted the crowd to think that he might use it.

Interestingly MacHale also points out that this scene was not in the original screenplay written by Frank S. Nugent, but was later added to the film by John Ford.

If anyone is looking for a terrific and detailed book about the making of "The Quiet Man", this is available in the U.S. and is well worth getting.

Message was edited by:

markfp2

Message was edited by:

markfp2

OK! I'll conclude that the current versions of "The Quiet Man" have NOT been edited, which I am, frankly, relieved to believe.

Still, it's an awkward edit right after the stick is passed!

Interesting the way these threads pan out... I never knew that the film was largely shot in Cong, which I've never heard of. I'll look it up in a few minutes. I always thought that there really was a town of Inisfree (however it's spelled)..