Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rosalind Russell Fans

I love Roz. Life's A Banquet is one of my favorite Auto Biographies. I loved her in the comedic roles best. One of my favorite Roz films is No Time For Comedy with James Stewart. She is on of those people for whom I'd watch just about any movie as long as she was in it.

I'm glad there's somebody out there who likes her! I've seen many of her movies and I still want TCM to show more, especially from the forties. I've also read her autobiography and love it, too. If you're at all into broadway musicals, I'd recomend the original cast recording of Wonderful Town (1953, Decca) , which she was in.

Here's a list of her movies that I've seen:

Evelyn Prentice (1934)

Reckless (1935)

Night Must Fall (1937)

The Citadel (1938)

The Women (1939)

Fast and Loose (1939)

His Girl Friday (1940)

Design for Scandal (1941)

Roughly Speaking (1945)

Mourning Becomes Electra (1947)

Auntie Mame (1958)

Gypsy (1962)

If you'd like to discuss them or her others that you've seen, feel free to post here!

I haven't seen The Citadel in its entirety yet. I love what I have seen. Aunty Mame and Gypsy are two of my favorites. I've also seen part of Under Two Flags and Flight For Freedom. I'd like to see all of those and My sister Eileen. The Velvet Touch is good. That was done by her production company I think. The only thing I have seen that I didn't like is Craig's Wife.

Gypsy may be my favorite movie musical and Roz is great in it, but Lisa Kirk's voice singing with Russell lip-synching is a little disconcerting! My Sister Eileen is definitley tops of her films that I'd like to see. The musical I told you about, Wonderful Town is based on it. If you remember her English accent in the Citadel, that's what she used in many of her early movies such as Evelyn Prentice and Reckless. In both movies she played the "other" woman, which you may recall (from Life is a Banquet) she called, "Lady Mary." If you haven't seen The Women, you should AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! It's one of her funniest movies.

Besides all the films you have mentioned, you should make a point of seeing Roz at her dramatic best in "Craig's Wife" (1936) directed by Dorothy Arzner, which was later remade as "Harriet Craig" (1950) with Joan Crawford.

I agree that she was also excellent in "The Women" (1939), "The Citadel" (1938), "Night Must Fall" (1937) and "His Girl Friday" (1940). "No Time For Comedy" (1940) with Jimmy Stewart, is a very special film, IMHO, and she delivers a great performance.

I'd like to see her in "Take a Letter Darling" (1942) with Fred MacMurray and "My Sister Eileen" (1942).

In her later years, she was great in "PicNic" (1955), "Auntie Mame" (1958) and "Gypsy!" (1962) and in excellent form in the highly amusing "The Trouble with Angels" (1966) and "Rosie!" (1968).

Roz was definitely a versatile actress!!

She was versatile! Craig's Wife is another on my list of Roz's movies that I really would like to see. I'd also like to compare Crawford's performance with hers, since they costarred in Forsaking all Others and the Women. No Time For Comedy is high on the list also, I think James Stewart and Russell would make an interesting (and funny!) pair.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw Roz in "Tell it to the Judge" the other day, an amiable comedy in which she acted opposite Robert Cummings. I also watched "The Guilt of Janet Ames", a strange, psychological drama in which she stars opposite Melvyn Douglas, I cannot say I really liked it, but it's definitely worth a watch. Roz gives a good dramatic performance, but I'd rather watch her in comedy.

I forgot, I also saw her in a small part in "Forsaking All Others" and she's great fun too as a socialite.

Don't forget about her films showing tonight, Monday Jan 30.

11:30 PM Trouble For Two (1936) Before he can marry, a European prince gets mixed up with a suicide club. Robert Montgomery, Rosalind Russell, Reginald Owen. D: J. Walter Ruben. BW 74m.

2:30 AM Live, Love And Learn (1937) A bohemian artist and a society girl try to adjust to marriage. Robert Montgomery, Rosalind Russell, Robert Benchley. D: George Fitzmaurice. BW 79m.

8:15 AM Fast And Loose (1939) Married book-dealers Joel and Gerda Sloane investigate the killing of a noted collector . Robert Montgomery, Rosalind Russell, Reginald Owen. D: Edwin L. Marin. BW 80m. CC