Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ThinMan15

Favorite Music in a Musical

What's your favorite music in a movie musical from 1930-1970? It can be just one song or a whole score, and doesn't have to have been written for the film.

Some of my favorites: just about anything from Cole Porter or Gershwin, almost any music that was written for Astaire (he seemed to bring out the best in composers/lyricists), the scores of Anchors Aweigh, The Band Wagon, Gypsy, West Side Story, A Star is Born (1954), and the Wizard of Oz.

Singing in the rain score love Donald o'Connor doing "Make em Laugh".... Cole Porter of coarse I love "You're the Tops".My Fair Lady and last but not least Ethel Merman singing "There's No Business Like Show Business"from same title movie not the one from "Annie get Your Gun".

I really like Shall We Dance? (1937). I just love the fun "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" and the beautiful "They Can't take that Away from me" and all the others too. Also I've always loved the score in High Society (1955) especially "I Love you, Samantha" and "Well did you Evah'?"but also "Your Sensational" and "Now you have Jazz".

I love the use of only Gershwin music in An American In Paris, it made the movie feel so cohesive and elegant, as all Gershwin music is. I also love the music in Summer Stock, the Judy Garland/Gene Kelly musical.

I loved the song that was sung in "Adam's Rib" It was either called 'Hello Amanda' or 'Good-bye Amanda' I can't remeber, but everytime i watch that movie I'll have that song stuck in my head for days!

<3 julie

As far as musicals go, I love the Band Wagon songs, and the song Audrey Hepburn sings in Funny Face with Kay Thompson. I cant think of the name, but it goes

'On how to be lovely

(echo) how to be lovely

On how to be charming

(echo) how to be charming...you get the point.

<3 julie

The song in Funny Face, I believe is called "On How to be Lovely" and is written by Roger Edens. There is a Funny Face soundtrack on CD (Verve Records.) The song from Adam's Rib is "Farewell, Amanda" and one of my favorite Cole Porter songs. Alas, I've never known if anyone recorded it.

My favorite music in a musical has to be A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. The words to the songs are hysterical. It is one of the funniest

musicals ever performed or written.

Mine would have to be the score from "Guys and Dolls"...I believe it's the first "soundtrack" I went out and bought. (By the way there is no "Guys and Dolls" soundtrack, on a Decca Records CD of the "Guys and Dolls" original cast there are three or four songs from the film...Sinatra wouldn't release his rights.) They really do need to release a soundtrack though...

When Sinatra owned Reprise records, he & his buddies did the soundtrack from 'Guys & Dolls'. It has the nicest version of 'I've Never Been In Love Before'. Wellworth the price (if you can find it).

I must agree that anything Astaire sang is totally fabulous. My personal favorite is "They Can't Take That Away From Me." I also love Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh" in "Singin' In The Rain." I could go on forever but i suppose I'll stop there.

Going on......Frank Sinatra could sing any song in the whole entire world!! Did I mention he's gorgeous??? My personal favorite by him was from "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" I can't remember the name of it but it's the one he sings to Esther Williams right after she gets out of the pool...... I have to figure out the name of that song!

I must say My favorite song from a film would have to be They can't take that away from me from the musical Shall we dance (1937). This song was written by George and Ira Gershwin. I find it to be a very magical song...it is sad to know that George died before the movie was released, He did not survive to see his song win a academy award for best song.

I must say My favorite song from a film would have to be They Can't Take That Away From Me from the musical Shall we dance (1937). This song was written by George and Ira Gershwin. I find it to be a very magical song...it is sad to know that George died before the movie was released, He did not survive to see his masterpeice be nominated to win an academy award for best song.

I think my all time favourite song from a film is If I Loved You from Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel in 1956. Here's my whole list though of absolute favourites!:)

Night and Day- Fred Astaire in The Gay Divorcee

People Will Say We're In Love- Gordon MacRae, Shirley Jones in Oklahoma!

You Were Meant For Me- Gene Kelly in Singin' In The Rain

The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing- Danny Kaye in White Christmas

Main Street- Gene Kelly in On The Town

Almost Like Being In Love- Gene Kelly in Brigadoon

Waitin' For m'Dearie- Cyd Charisse in Brigadoon

A Kiss In The Dark- Gordon MacRae in Look For The Silver Lining

Time On My Hands- Gordon MacRae, June Haver in Look For The Silver Lining

And that's about it for my favourites, *sigh* wonderful melodies to your ears that's for sure!

I really love "Don't Rain On My Parade" from "Funny Girl." I also just love "The Wizard of Oz",but of course who doesn't.My FAVORITE in the whole wide world is most definitely "Annie."I'm constantly running around the house singing "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow."

I really enjoy the music from 2 musicals (well, more than 2, but these stand out for me.) The first is the musical version of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" starring Albert Finney called "Scrooge." The music is by Leslie Bricusse and the lyrics are amazingly incredible (although the author of my "Christmas Carol" trivia book likes the Mr. Magoo version's music better - go figure.)

My other favorite is the music from a not so good film, "The Song of Norway." The music is classical, since it is a fictional biography of Edvard Grieg. The scenery is incredible, too - filmed in Norway and used as a backdrop to Grieg's "Piano Concerto in A Minor" and other familiar melodies from the composer considered second only to Jan Sibelius as Scandinavia's greatest composer. Here again, the lyrics are very well thought out to compliment Greig's instrumental opuses. (The proper plural for opus is opera, but in this context, I thought it might be a little confusing.)

I recommend these movies to anyone for their musical content alone. I could go on more, but I've exceeded my allotment of parenthetical commentary.

Charlie

Message was edited by:

CharlieT

Message was edited by:

CharlieT

I just watched Take Me Out to the Ballgame today. The song you're referring to is called "The Right Girl For Me". Regarding Sinatra, I'm addicted to songs from his earlier movies, Higher and Higher and Step Lively. "I Couldn't Sleep a Wink Last Night", 'A Lovely Way to Spend an Evening", "As Long as There's Music", "Some Other Time"... These numbers make me understand what those newsreels showing crazed bobbysoxers frothing over Mr. Sinatra were all about.

Hey, TOOMANYNOTES. Check out the "Orchestra Wives" thread. JanePowellFan left a link to a site where you can listen to some of Glenn Miller's original radio shows, along with other big band favorites. I went there and bookmarked the site.

CharlieT

When I was a kid my parents took me to see Mitch Miller and I didn't really know what he was about I knew that he did all this music stuff ,anyway to make a long story short my parents were able to meet him after the show and I met him as well and he signed our program and that's all I remember until years later seeing his name on the music credits for The Longest day .This is straying from Glen Miller but it reminded me of this .I went a few years ago to see The Glen Miller Big Band Orchestra at The Concert Hall and it was the best listening to all the old music, Chatanooga choo choo and many more it was like he was right there .Great music for sure

My favorite film score is Frank Loesser's music and lyrics for "Hans Christian Andersen." The music is gorgeous, the lyrics are poetic and clever, and maybe this one is overlooked because it's considered a children's film.

And on the subject of Danny Kaye films, I'm very partial to his wife's work for him. Sylvia Fine's patter songs are wonderful, clever and very Broadway in style. One of my favorites is from "Wonder Man," where Kaye is doing a night club act with a Balinese theme. The beautiful Bali princess is described in the song as "the Balinese equivalent of Olivia De Hivalent." And of course, from Fine's song "Anatole of Paris" --- "I shriek with chic!" I've been using that line for about 50 years myself.

Here's just a few great songs that are in my filmic memory bank play list:

You're The Top - Cary Grant from Night & Day

Change Partners - Fred Astaire from Carefree

Rosalie - Nelson Eddy (danced by Eleanor Powell) from Rosalie

A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody (Dennis Morgan) from The Great Ziegfeld

United Nations on Parade - Kathryn Grayson from Thousands Cheer

Love is Music - Mario Lanza/Kathryn Grayson from That Midnight Kiss

Ave Maria - Jane Powell from Holiday In Mexico

San Francisco - Jeanette MacDonald from San Francisco

You're Nearer - Perry Como (outtake) from Words and Music

By A Waterfall - Ruby Keeler and Dick Powell from Footlight Parade

Just One of Those Things - Lena Horne from Panama Hattie

This Time is The Last Time - unknown from This Is The Army

Running Around in Circles - Bing Crosby from Blue Skies

Caroom Pa Pa - Carmen Miranda from Nancy Goes To Rio

The Peanut Vendor - Jane Powell from Luxury Liner

Friendly Star - Judy Garland from Summer Stock

Vilja - Jeanette MacDonald from The Merry Widow

The Joint Is Really Jumpin' - Judy Garland from Thousands Cheer

Honeysuckle Rose - Lena Horne from Thousands Cheer

Will You Remember - Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald from Maytime

Stranger in Paradise - Vic Damone/Ann Blyth from Kismet

Now You Has Jazz - Bing Crosby (with assist from Louis Armstrong) from High Society

Dormi, Dormi - Kay Armen (outtake) from Hit the Deck

Minnie From Trinidad - Judy Garland from Ziegfeld Girl

Ninja - Gene Kelly from The Pirate