Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most Romantic?

moirafinnie12

Yes, I tell myself, I know, I'm too sophisticated, if not a little hard-boiled somedays, but I caught a few minutes of "Waterloo Bridge" (1940) this morning, and immediately felt that old foolish pang for the plight of Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor in this gossamer thin, old-fashioned tale. Am I the only sap out there--I doubt it!

Okay, tough guys, we all know that beneath that cynical twenty-first century shell you may present to the real world, the stoniest of hearts may beat a little faster when certain movies are viewed; especially around Valentine's Day. Despite any intellectual reservations and reality checks you've experienced, is there a film(s) that makes you let your guard down for a moment and makes you believe in the possibility of romantic love?

Random Harvest has to be ONE of my all time favorites.

It rips my heart out everytime and just makes me cry like a baby. When you realize she has been near him but unknown to him for so many years...it kills you. And I am a person that usually refuses to be manipulated by cheap sentimentalism. But I agree there are some that just hit you right between the eyes. Another favorite is All That Heaven Allows. Jane Wyman is so pitifully lonely with those ungrateful kids who shove a TV at her for Christmas!!! And in comes sweet hunky nature man. Sorry I love it! And no jokes about Rock! One more secret pleasure...A Summer Place...but not the kids! It's the 2 parents..Dorothy McGuire and Richard Egan. Their long suffering love is soooo sweet. Thanks for letting me share. Happy Valentines Day!

I enjoy a lot of romantic movies and the only two I found romantically moving (pun intended) were Modern Times and Badlands.

Pretty far apart, but they both had something that got to me. It's probably that the leads are outcasts from society together. Gets you right here ::pats heart::

Oh, and City of Lost Children. That had sort of the same thing.

Well, I just watched that fabulous Garbo silent, "Love" again this past Sunday and retaped it onto a better tape. I've watched this one about a million times and it still gets me. I really do think it is the most romantic movie ever, especially because of the wonderful new score that was added to it. The emotion that the music brings sets off all those sparks between Gilbert and Garbo. John Gilbert is truly one of the most handsome men EVER to grace the silver screen--with that electric smile and sparkling eyes! When they are reunited at the end (in the American release) I want to clap along with the live audience. What a treasure this movie is.

Notorious with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman is very romantic and one of my all time favorites. Cary Grant is the government agent who is hesitant to fall for bad-girl Ingrid Bergman. Then he just stands by while she marries another man to gather evidence for the U.S. All the time Cary and Ingrid really want each other but will not admit it. What a terrific movie!

I tend to reach for titles like The Red Shoes, Lili or Peter Ibbetson. Don't know why these stand out. I used to even watch a lot of the cheesy Dietrich vehicle, The Blonde Venus (should dig that one out again soon). And I was pleasantly surprised this week to be re-introduced to A Little Romance on TCM, Diana Lane's first starring role while still a teen. Even lovelier than I remembered it. And if I want to feel totally enveloped in a romantic *atmosphere* (not just the boy-girl situation), Giuseppe Tornatore's Cinema Paradiso and Legend of 1900 are personal favorites.

okay, this is a little offbeat, but has anyone ever considered the delirious, crazed obsession that the mummy, Kharis, has for Zita Johann in the l932 masterpiece, "The Mummy." Through thousands of years, his love never withers for Princess Ananka. She, the idiot, somehow finds him a little too old for her tastes. Also, in the best of the series, "The Mummy's Ghost," 1943, Kharis finally tracks down the ever elusive Ananka to the college campus of Arkham, where the heavenly, gorgeous Ramsey Ames, is a young professor's assistant. At the end, she can't escape his wander lust and she withers away with him in quicksand. I always thought that beneath all those bandages, Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney were two sexy dudes.

Ha ha.

I always liked "Since You Went Away," with Claudette Colbert. Her husband goes to war and she comes home to an empty house. Everywhere she looks is a reminder of how much they love each other and all their years together. Before she goes to sleep she finds a note he left tucked under her pillow. Later, when he's missing in action, she receives the Christmas present he sent her: a music box that plays their song.

Where's my hanky?

Oh, my Gawwddd, Ladysusanvance,"Since You Went Away" is one of my alltime delights! I watch this one about once a month, along with GWTW. Claudette was so incredible as the brave housewife and that final part, where she discovers the music box under the Christmas Tree turns me into a wailing idiot. Maybe you already know this, but Norma Shearer, Greer Garson, Vivien Leigh all turned down the mother role. Shearer told David Selznick that it wasn't too bad to be the mother of one daughter in "The Women." But to have two of them! Dear God, that would really date her to her fans. Garson said the same thing although she thought nothing of actually marrying in real life the hunk who played the Nazi in "Mrs. Miniver" and who was four years younger. And Vivien Leigh? Wow, that would take some getting use to. But Viv could make us believe her as a Southern belle, then why not an all-American heroine during World War II?

I'll take a crack at this. My answers seem just a little obvious.

1. Wuthering Heights

2. Casblanca

3. City Lights

4. Pride and Predjudice

and a lttle surprise from a modern movie

5. Emma

Those first three I pretty much cry throughout. With the last two I just cry at the end. City Lights is the only one that I pnly have to think about the end and I start to cry. There are certainly more movies I could add to this list.

There is one line in all film that gets me the most. It's where Olivier as Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights says somrthing like this. "I seems to me I have not conratulated you on your marriage. I've often thought of it." Damn.

Doc

How about the most romantic scene in a terrible movie? I'll nominate the stoop scene in "The More the Merrier", with Jean Arthur and Joel McCrae. That's the scene where the two of them are sitting on the stoop and she's babbling on and on about how wonderful her fiancee is. McCrae keeps on putting his hand on her knee and she keeps on swatting it away. Finally she gets annoyed enough to turn on him, but before she can tell him off their eyes lock and -- bam! They throw their arms around each other and kiss.

I understand that McCrae and Arthur came up with this bit of interplay while fooling around on the set one day. They took it to director George Stevens who agreed that it was good enough to put in the movie. But it's really the only thing worth watching in the whole film. The rest of the script is trite and cliched. Charles Coburn's character is an intolerable buttinsky, Joel McCrae's character is a complete wuss, and Jean Arthur MUST to be married off by the end of the film -- no happy single women allowed here. *bleh*

• 2 years later...

The Quiet Man contains the second greatest kiss in screen history. Flesh and the Devil has the first. The movie that can best restore my belief in romance, however, is Morocco. (And I consider The More the Merrier and Charles Coburn's performance absolutely delightful!)

My top 5 oh-so romantics...

1. Notorious - Ingrid Bergman & Cary Grant light up the screen.

2. Random Harvest - Greer Garson & Ronald Colman are elegant & intelligent.

3. The Best Years of Our Lives - Teresa Wright & Dana Andrews experience "sincere love" in this one.

4. Camille - Greta Garbo & Robert Taylor are falling in love & look lovely doin' it.

5. The Thin Man - No other film couple could banterize their love like Myrna Loy & William Powell.