Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Claudette Colbert or Norma Shearer

It is a tough call. Norma Shearer was a subtle silent film actress who went on to create several provocative female roles prior to the rigid enforcement of the production code. Her roles after the code were less interesting and declined further after her husband died. Check out the Divorcee or Private Lives though to see what Norma could do.

Claudette Colbert was such a versatile actress from the decadently sexy Queen in the Sign of the Cross to the flighty and feisty heiress of It Happened One Night. Not to mention some of those weepers from the forties.

I like them both but if forced to choose would give the nod to Claudette because of a greater range of convincing performances

Claudette. I like both actresses, but Claudette comes across as more sincere in her roles than Nora. Nora usually played the wealthy woman, with the servants ... Claudette played the poor woman, who may have had a servant, but was still poor.

Ever since I saw "Since You Went Away", Claudette Colbert has amazed me with her acting talent. I did enjoy Norma Shearer in "The Women", but Claudette handled her roles better. She could play as dramatic as the role in "Since You Went Away", or as comedic as "The Egg and I", but in all, Claudette was more believable and lovable, and that's what I like in an actor/actress.

Colbert was believeable in a wider range of feminine role-types, I think, than Shearer, who, in the films I've seen her in, seemed to usually play the patrician. Both were very likeable and one was not better or more important than the other. In fact, I can think of very few, if any, classic stars I'd have been willing to "do without". God Bless 'em all!

Oops, make that Norma, not Nora. I love The Women, but at the end when Norma sees her husband off screen and stretches her arms out towards him ... that is some of the hammiest acting I've ever seen from that era. Worse than Donna Reed as the spinster librarian version of Mary Hatch in It's A Wonderful Life.