Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kids Raised In Religiosity Are Meaner Than Secular Kids

A study by a global team of academics found that children from religious families are less kind and more punitive than those from nonreligious households.

No surprise to me.

they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that secularisation of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness—in fact, it will do just the opposite

Read more here:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/religious-children-less-altruistic-secular-kids-study

It depends upon each child, some are mean, others are not.  Just because one or 2 parents have proper moral values don't guarantee all their kids will follow in their footsteps.  I have notice that some preachers kids tend to be more "meaner".  Accepting Christ is not passed on like an inheritance or have anything to do with genetics.

It depends upon each child, some are mean, others are not.  Just because one or 2 parents have proper moral values don't guarantee all their kids will follow in their footsteps.  

Unfortunately religion and "proper moral values" don't always go together.  I've quoted this before, but I think it bears quoting here.

In reference to the work of Flannery O'Connor, a writer points out the nature of the Christianity of the South. This version of the religion encourages less kind followers, I think:

"O'Connor's short stories and novels are set in a rural South where people know their places, mind their manners and do horrible things to one another. It's a place that somehow hovers outside of time, where both the New Deal and the New Testament feel like recent history. It's soaked in violence and humor, in sin and in God. He may have fled the modern world, but in O'Connor's he sticks around, in the sun hanging over the tree line, in the trees and farm beasts, and in the characters who roost in the memory like gargoyles. It's a land haunted by Christ — not your friendly hug-me Jesus, but a ragged figure who moves from tree to tree in the back of the mind, pursuing the unwilling."

Not meaning to start a too heavy religious argument here, but just based upon MY personal experience....

The CATHOLIC kids I knew growing up, as well as most Catholic ADULTS I know now, seemed to be more self righteous and adapted a more superior attitude towards others than the protestant kids in my neighborhood.

But not ALL.  My best friend back then, Donny Jackson, was Catholic, but didn't have the snottiness other Catholic kids seemed to have. And also, despite ANY of this, NONE of them seemed to be able to tell me what CATECISM was all about.  No doubt, NONE of them getting ANYTHING out of it!

The only thing in recent years I can relate to any of this happened more than 15 years ago when I was doing wedding photography.

I was a smoker then, and took on the "habit", out of courtesy to my clients, of chewing gum when in contact with them.  And since smoking wasn't permitted in ANY church, I'd chew it there. 

But ONE wedding, when I approached the priest to ask him HIS rules concerning photography during the ceremony, asked me...

"Is that GUM I see you chewing?"

I quickly explained my gum/smoking  deal when he inturrupted and further asked, "Have you ALWAYS had the habit of chewing gum in the house of the Lord?"  and I couldn't resist, due to what I considered the absurd nature of his grilling...I replied,

"Rabbi SCHICKLE never complained."

Fr. Whatever then calmed down and asked my nicely to discard my gum.

No prob.

Sepiatone

Not meaning to start a too heavy religious argument here, but just based upon MY personal experience....

The CATHOLIC kids I knew growing up, as well as most Catholic ADULTS I know now, seemed to be more self righteous and adapted a more superior attitude towards others than the protestant kids in my neighborhood.

But not ALL.  My best friend back then, Donny Jackson, was Catholic, but didn't have the snottiness other Catholic kids seemed to have. And also, despite ANY of this, NONE of them seemed to be able to tell me what CATECISM was all about.  No doubt, NONE of them getting ANYTHING out of it!

The only thing in recent years I can relate to any of this happened more than 15 years ago when I was doing wedding photography.

I was a smoker then, and took on the "habit", out of courtesy to my clients, of chewing gum when in contact with them.  And since smoking wasn't permitted in ANY church, I'd chew it there. 

But ONE wedding, when I approached the priest to ask him HIS rules concerning photography during the ceremony, asked me...

"Is that GUM I see you chewing?"

I quickly explained my gum/smoking  deal when he inturrupted and further asked, "Have you ALWAYS had the habit of chewing gum in the house of the Lord?"  and I couldn't resist, due to what I considered the absurd nature of his grilling...I replied,

"Rabbi SCHICKLE never complained."

Fr. Whatever then calmed down and asked my nicely to discard my gum.

No prob.

Sepiatone

"sit down...and take that toffee out of your mouth." -thomas arnold (cedric hardwicke), tom brown's schooldays

:D