Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Male Budgie's Cere Has Turned Brown - Any Suggestions?

I've an eight year old male budgie who had a blue cere above his beak. Just this week I noticed that it has turned brown (I found an old photo of him and his cere was definitely a bright blue before).

I've read on line that this can be a sign of a hormonal change or even testicular cancer.

I'll be keeping a sharper eye on him but he seems quite healthy. He's alert and grooms himself, flying to the bottom of his cage to get seeds then climbing the bars to the top perch again, as he has always done.

The only vet in the area that sees birds charges an arm and two legs to walk through his door (I've dealt with him in the past with my dog before changing vets because he was so expensive). Since the bird appears healthy, I've been reluctant to take him there but will if need be.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing with their male budgie? Any suggestions?

I've an eight year old male budgie who had a blue cere above his beak. Just this week I noticed that it has turned brown (I found an old photo of him and his cere was definitely a bright blue before).

I've read on line that this can be a sign of a hormonal change or even testicular cancer.

I'll be keeping a sharper eye on him but he seems quite healthy. He's alert and grooms himself, flying to the bottom of his cage to get seeds then climbing the bars to the top perch again, as he has always done.

The only vet in the area that sees birds charges an arm and two legs to walk through his door (I've dealt with him in the past with my dog before changing vets because he was so expensive). Since the bird appears healthy, I've been reluctant to take him there but will if need be.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing with their male budgie? Any suggestions?

"so you'd flog us? so you'd starve us. would you? why you blue-nosed baboon!" -seaman ellison, mutiny on the bounty (1935)

:lol:

The only birds I ever had were a few parakeets when I was a kid, and the ones other drivers  flip me while I'm driving.

Hope it's nothing too serious, and sorry, but I couldn't resist!

Sepiatone