Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone See Blossoms in the Dust (1941)?

NickAndNora34

I am a fan of Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon (together, and separately) and decided to give this film a try. Does anyone know how closely based it is on the real Edna Gladney's life? In the film, she had to go through several heartaches, which after each one, I was thinking, "Again?" I did like this film. I think Greer and Walter always had such great chemistry.

I am a fan of Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon (together, and separately) and decided to give this film a try. Does anyone know how closely based it is on the real Edna Gladney's life? In the film, she had to go through several heartaches, which after each one, I was thinking, "Again?" I did like this film. I think Greer and Walter always had such great chemistry.

I saw this film on TCM a few years ago and I liked it, but I haven't seen it on since then.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edna_Gladney

Am a big fan of Greer Garson and whenever TCM schedules Blossoms In The Dust I try to watch it. I don't know much about the real Edna Gladney except Miss Garson's portrayal in the movie, but the seems to have been an exceptional woman. I really think the film is a particularly good one and Miss Garson and Walter Pidgeon were perfectly matched in this film as in all their movies together. I also am a big Marsha Hunt fan and enjoy watching her films whenever TCM has scheduled them.

i've always thought it was a little strange that BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST was filmed in such glorious technicolor- likely Mayer's wanting the world to look at his newest protegee Garson in the best light possible- because it doesn't really fit the story, which is kind of gritty and loaded with tragedy.

spoilers spoiler spoilers

other than that, it's fine...although its weird that Garson and Pidgeon went on to become such a hot team since his character dies at the halfway mark.

I enjoyed this story and found the portrayals very moving. Even if the story has been "fictionalized" it's a great lesson for youngsters as to how children had been treated in the past, and old mores. Sometimes, we don't appreciate how far our society has come.

I enjoyed this story and found the portrayals very moving. Even if the story has been "fictionalized" it's a great lesson for youngsters as to how children had been treated in the past, and old mores. Sometimes, we don't appreciate how far our society has come.

Oh I agree with you. I know, for me, I don't usually think about where America was and how much we've improved. The things in this film seem almost medieval compared to how orphaned children are treated now. It's definitely a different film from some of the other things that were released around the same time, but I do like it.