Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forgotten Disney Films of the 50s-80s

I've been babysitting a lot lately, and a lot of these kids have never been exposed to some of the great Disney films (live action or animated) from the 1950s-1980s... I mean, some of them haven't even seen Mary Poppins (1964), which is a damn shame considering it's a fantastic film. It's not that I'm upset or anything, I just think kids are missing out on some great films, like The Ugly Dachsund (1965), Babes in Toyland (1961), Pollyanna (1960), Old Yeller (1957), etc. And these I just listed aren't even that obscure. In one particular instance, these two kids hadn't heard of either the original animated 101 Dalmatians & The Jungle Book.

I've been babysitting a lot lately, and a lot of these kids have never been exposed to some of the great Disney films (live action or animated) from the 1950s-1980s... I mean, some of them haven't even seen Mary Poppins (1964), which is a damn shame considering it's a fantastic film. It's not that I'm upset or anything, I just think kids are missing out on some great films, like The Ugly Dachsund (1965), Babes in Toyland (1961), Pollyanna (1960), Old Yeller (1957), etc. And these I just listed aren't even that obscure. In one particular instance, these two kids hadn't heard of either the original animated 101 Dalmatians & The Jungle Book.

Perhaps.  I suppose I will have to actually see Babes in Toyland.  I have vaguely positive memories of seeing at least part of it.  I suspect many cinephiles don't like the way that Disney monopolized children's movies, and the live action movies never showed true genius or insight.

I guess you could call old Disney movies a bit of a hobby of mine. I actually have Watcher in the Woods on right now. Great little movie from 1980 with Bette Davis, David McCallum, Carole Baker and Lynn-Holly Johnson (a couple years after Ice Castles).

I've gotten re-acquainted with lots of Disney movies through the Disney Family Movies On Demand channel. Last week they had Moon Pilot on with Brian Keith, Tom Tryon and Kent Smith. Magnificent Rebel is another obscure one, as is The Horse Without A Head and Horse with the Flying Tail. One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing with Helen Hayes is fun. The North Avenue Irregulars with Cloris Leachman, Karen Valentine, Edward Herrman is one I remember going to see at the movies as a kid. 

Some other faves:

Blackbeard's Ghost

Gus

Unidentified Flying Oddball

The Cat from Outer Space

Million Dollar Duck

Summer Magic

That Darn Cat

Snowball Express

In Search of the Castaways

Moonspinners

Emil and the Detectives

Miracle of the White Stallions (Robert Taylor)

Charley and the Angel

Bon Voyage (Jane Wyman and Fred MacMurray)

Those Calloways and A TIger Walks (Brian Keith)

GreyFriars Bobby (gets me every time)

Fighting Prince of Donegal

Toby Tyler

The Incredible Journey (this the original one and I think the better of the two)

Happiest Millionaire (Fred MacMurray, Greer Garson, John Davidson and Leslie Ann Warren)

Follow Me, Boys

Three Lives of Thomasina

Misadventures of Merlin Jones & The Monkey's Uncle

Escapade in Florence

The Horsemasters

Lt. Robin Crusoe

One and Only Original Family Band

Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit

Bears and I (Patrick Wayne)

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Jonathon Pryce and Jason Robards)

Tower of Terror (Steve Guttenberg)

Big Red (Walter Pidgeon)

Then there were lots of Wonderful World of Disney serial ones that made a movie or miniseries, like Gallagher, Elfego Baca, Secret of Boyne Castle, etc. I really love the ones with animals featured, like Rascal or The Boy Who Could Talk to Badgers.

This is what I could remember off the top of my head. I hope I have given you some more fodder for the kids you babysit for. 

• Like 1

I guess you could call old Disney movies a bit of a hobby of mine. I actually have Watcher in the Woods on right now. Great little movie from 1980 with Bette Davis, David McCallum, Carole Baker and Lynn-Holly Johnson (a couple years after Ice Castles).

I've gotten re-acquainted with lots of Disney movies through the Disney Family Movies On Demand channel. Last week they had Moon Pilot on with Brian Keith, Tom Tryon and Kent Smith. Magnificent Rebel is another obscure one, as is The Horse Without A Head and Horse with the Flying Tail. One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing with Helen Hayes is fun. The North Avenue Irregulars with Cloris Leachman, Karen Valentine, Edward Herrman is one I remember going to see at the movies as a kid. 

Some other faves:

Blackbeard's Ghost

Gus

Unidentified Flying Oddball

The Cat from Outer Space

Million Dollar Duck

Summer Magic

That Darn Cat

Snowball Express

In Search of the Castaways

Moonspinners

Emil and the Detectives

Miracle of the White Stallions (Robert Taylor)

Charley and the Angel

Bon Voyage (Jane Wyman and Fred MacMurray)

Those Calloways and A TIger Walks (Brian Keith)

GreyFriars Bobby (gets me every time)

Fighting Prince of Donegal

Toby Tyler

The Incredible Journey (this the original one and I think the better of the two)

Happiest Millionaire (Fred MacMurray, Greer Garson, John Davidson and Leslie Ann Warren)

Follow Me, Boys

Three Lives of Thomasina

Misadventures of Merlin Jones & The Monkey's Uncle

Escapade in Florence

The Horsemasters

Lt. Robin Crusoe

One and Only Original Family Band

Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit

Bears and I (Patrick Wayne)

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Jonathon Pryce and Jason Robards)

Tower of Terror (Steve Guttenberg)

Big Red (Walter Pidgeon)

Then there were lots of Wonderful World of Disney serial ones that made a movie or miniseries, like Gallagher, Elfego Baca, Secret of Boyne Castle, etc. I really love the ones with animals featured, like Rascal or The Boy Who Could Talk to Badgers.

This is what I could remember off the top of my head. I hope I have given you some more fodder for the kids you babysit for. 

Hmmmm...might be time to consult your doctor about this memory loss you seem to be suffering lately, CC.

(...'cause if THIS is all you could "remember off the top of your head", I fear your memory might be slowly slippin' away!!!) ;)

LOL

I love the Hayley Mills movies of the 60s.  When I was little, we used to go to a video store that was next to a take out pizza place.  We would go in and order our pizza and then go next door to rent a couple videos from the video store.  This particular video store had almost all (if not all) of Hayley Mills' movies and I rented all of them.  With the exception of The Parent Trap, I haven't seen her other films for years.  Aside from the already mentioned 'Parent Trap,' I also enjoyed: Pollyanna, That Darn Cat!, In Search of the Castaways, Summer Magic and The Moon-Spinners.  I recently acquired DVD copies of Pollyanna and Summer Magic.  

I also loved the live action films with Fred MacMurray like: The Absent Minded Professor, Son of Flubber and The Shaggy Dog.

I also remember liking Freaky Friday with Jodie Foster.

Disney isn't known for their animated films that were produced during the 60s, 70s and 80s.  Before the success of The Little Mermaid in 1989 (the first movie I saw in the theater!), Disney was thought to be in a creative slump.  However, I love many of the films that Disney made during this period:

The Sword in the Stone (1963), Perhaps one of the most underrated Disney films of all time. 

The Aristocats (1970) 

Robin Hood (1973)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)

The Rescuers (1977) 

The Fox and the Hound (1981)

and my absolute favorite... The Great Mouse Detective (1986), it even features the voice of Vincent Price!

• Like 1

Speedy--Funny that you should list the animated films you did because almost all of them were on the tv in my cabin on the TCM Cruise last week. We did get The Absent Minded Professor and The Jungle Book on the big screen. That is a fun feature about being on a Disney ship.

• Like 1

I'd like to see "Westward Ho the Wagons!" again. The 1956 Disney Western starred Fess Parker as the leader of a wagon train headed to Oregon in the 1840s. The film also starred Kathleen Crowley, Jeff York, Sebastian Cabot and George Reeves. It also featured David Stollery (of "The Adventures of Spin and Marty" serial from the "Mickey Mouse Club") and Mousketeers Doreen Tracey, Tommy Cole, Cubby O'Brien and Karen Pendleton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qyk6k4BZTk

Didn't everyone love Cubby and Karen during the heyday of the "Mickey Mouse Club"?

• Like 1

Hmmmm...might be time to consult your doctor about this memory loss you seem to be suffering lately, CC.

(...'cause if THIS is all you could "remember off the top of your head", I fear your memory might be slowly slippin' away!!!) ;)

LOL

LOL! I've been meaning to see someone about these darn "junior" moments I've been having.  :D

As soon as I posted, I remembered Justin Morgan Had a Horse and The Littlest Horse Horse Thieves with Alistair Sim. I was in a horsey frame of mind.

Speedracer, I totally forgot about Freaky Friday! One of my favorites and pretty funny. Unlike Superdad, lol. 

• Like 3

I remember So Dear to My Heart (1949) as the first movie I didn't see. My older brother got to go and I was very p.o.'ed that I was "too young" to be going to movies. I didn't see it until the video release. It's scheduled for the next round of Disney films on December 17, in the 8 PM time slot. Bobby Driscoll was really good in it and Beulah Bondi can always be counted on.