Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would make the best Scrooge?

Years ago I would have picked Hopkins, but would choose him for a Marley cameo today. Caine played him in A Muppet Christmas Carol and was good but I'd like to give someone else a shot at it. As for Hugh Grant, I see him more in the role of the nephew, Fred.

I was just wondering why Lionel Barrymore didn't appear as Scrooge ... I think he would have been the all-time best, although Alistair Simm sure did a great job of it, for me.

If they did a future attempt, Ian McKellen would get my vote -- I'm sure he'd nail that one perfectly!

Lionel Barrymore played Scrooge on the radio for years, but when he was about to play him in a movie ... he fell and broke his hip while filming Saratoga. So, he recommended that Reginald Owen play Scrooge in his place, in the 1938, A Christmas Carol. That's why he was in a wheelchair in his later movies.

Message was edited by:

MattHelm

Message was edited by:

MattHelm

Ahhh ... thanks MattHelm. That put some pieces into the puzzle that I was missing before. Although, I could see Scrooge in a wheelchair ... being transported out the window by the angel and all would've added nicely to Scrooge's "crippled" nature as it was! Oh well ... Reggie did a fine job.

I can't see Pesci as Scrooge, unless it was a modern day mob version. Where the Hell has Pesci been anyway? I would love to see Peter Jackson make this movie, because a real definitive version hasn't been made yet ... and his Nazgul from LOTR would be the best Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, ever. Usually, that character has been done badly in the film adaptations.

Michael Caine played him in A Muppet Christmas Carol. Even though it was a muppet movie, he played the part seriously and was good but not great. He has a limited range and his transformation from mean Scrooge to nice Scrooge wasn't that believable. I saw Michael Gambon in that bad HBO movie Angels In America and he played a ghost that looked like Scrooge. Ian McKellan would be great too. It would be great to see them both as Scrooge and Marley.

I think Jack Nickelson (doesn't look spelled right) would be a good scrooge. He always plays such a grumpy character in just about everything. Alan Rickman might also be a good choice.

I agree that Hugh Grant would be a good Cratchet, but I think Johnny Depp might also be suited for Cratchet since he's become all fatherly lately.

Scrooges nephew and fiance should be played by Jim Carrey and Rene Zellweger, but they're probably too famous to be place in such small roles.

Jack Nicholson is an interesting choice I haven't thought of. But I'm wary of him, I think he might ham it up a bit too much like he's done in everything in the past 10 years. I can't see him affecting a believable accent either. I think Rickman would make a great Cratchit. The problem with most versions is that you don't care about Cratchit because he's just there. But Gene Lockhart's and David Collings (1970 musical) are good natured and sympathetic, and their small roles make the movies better. Depp's so versatile that I can actually see him as a good Scrooge. Kevin Spacey would make a good Scrooge or Cratchit, too.