Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for the name of a film, based on the closing scene

StanChicago

Over a decade ago, on a Chicago UHF station around 2-3am, I caught the closing scene of a film I have been unable to find any information on since.

Just today the movie popped in my head again. A few mins later, frustrated at not knowing the title, I thought, "I bet Robert Osborne would know" and since his knowledge is unavailable to me I figured I should try the fans of TCM.

That being said, thank you for taking a look at this...here is what I remember of the film.

-Black and white, possibly a pre-code film

-The film is set in modern times in relation to its release. The closing moments take place in a small poorly functioning shelter of some sort within an apparently Arctic setting.

-Two white/American men, appearing in poor health/I am under the impression that they were the members of some party and were either lost or stranded w/ no possibility of help.

-If I remember correctly One man is telling the other a story of going to the movies by himself, seeing a pretty girl (also by herself), sharing a smile and that was that. He tells the man that he wonders what his life would have been like had he sat down next to her, spoke to her and asked her out....I got the impression he is bringing this up knowing death is near and he is thinking back on how stupid he was being afraid to talk to this girl, wasting what could have been a life changing opportunity....I am not doing this justice as I remember it being very well written and well acted.

-The man finishes his story and discovers the other man he was speaking to had died. The film ends with him leaving the shelter, walking through this furious Arctic wasteland presumably to his death...quite the bleak ending

I know I don't have much there, but I imagine there are a ton of experts on here who may be able to do something with the scraps I provided.

It's possible I could be misremembering some things and that over the years this mystery film has become a work of art in mind while in reality it could be a B western set in Montana. However, that night around 3am I was really moved by this final scene and one day hope to see the film in its entirety.....that is if I didn't dream the entire stinking thing ;-)

Thanks again for your time,

Stan

Thanks for the attempt, but actually that isn't the one I am looking for. However, if you have the knowledge of such an obscure film as Man of Two Worlds please read the rest of my post and see if you can help?

Thanks again, Stan

I read your entire post, Stan. The only other film I can think of in this vein is SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC, starring John Mills. Is this it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_of_the_Antarctic_(film)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over a decade ago, on a Chicago UHF station around 2-3am, I caught the closing scene of a film I have been unable to find any information on since.

Just today the movie popped in my head again. A few mins later, frustrated at not knowing the title, I thought, "I bet Robert Osborne would know" and since his knowledge is unavailable to me I figured I should try the fans of TCM.

That being said, thank you for taking a look at this...here is what I remember of the film.

-Black and white, possibly a pre-code film

-The film is set in modern times in relation to its release. The closing moments take place in a small poorly functioning shelter of some sort within an apparently Arctic setting.

-Two white/American men, appearing in poor health/I am under the impression that they were the members of some party and were either lost or stranded w/ no possibility of help.

-If I remember correctly One man is telling the other a story of going to the movies by himself, seeing a pretty girl (also by herself), sharing a smile and that was that. He tells the man that he wonders what his life would have been like had he sat down next to her, spoke to her and asked her out....I got the impression he is bringing this up knowing death is near and he is thinking back on how stupid he was being afraid to talk to this girl, wasting what could have been a life changing opportunity....I am not doing this justice as I remember it being very well written and well acted.

-The man finishes his story and discovers the other man he was speaking to had died. The film ends with him leaving the shelter, walking through this furious Arctic wasteland presumably to his death...quite the bleak ending

I know I don't have much there, but I imagine there are a ton of experts on here who may be able to do something with the scraps I provided.

It's possible I could be misremembering some things and that over the years this mystery film has become a work of art in mind while in reality it could be a B western set in Montana. However, that night around 3am I was really moved by this final scene and one day hope to see the film in its entirety.....that is if I didn't dream the entire stinking thing ;-)

Thanks again for your time,

Stan

You provided a lot of good info.  I am trying to remember which film seems to ring a bell.  It sounds partly like Snows of Kilimanjaro where Gregory Peck is dying and reviews his past life and relationships.  I recall (though I haven't seen it for some time) that Susan Hayward and Ava Gardner were in this film.   The only thing is that this film was a Color film of the 50's.  While he encountered some hunters attempting to help him, the setting was not as isolated as the one you spoke of.  IT was a good film and well worth seeing too..  

Don't think you dreamed about the film.  I am still searching for the title of a Bing Crosby film I saw on TV as a kid - a few years ago - smile.  But there are possibilities that our friends on TCM's boards can help us.

Best of luck!