Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Charlie Chan/Sherlock Holmes films....

tannerboyle1967

TCM has shown some of the Monogram-era Charlie Chan movies starring Roland Winters. They've also shown THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES and (I believe) THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, but, so far, none of the other films in the Sherlock Holmes series.

But since they've been showing more Paramount and Universal releases in recent months, these are definitely possibilites, so make a few requests and see what happens!

I have had TCM on my cable system since 1998 and I have NEVER seen the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films, either the traditional ones(Adventures and Hound) or the "modern" ones. Believe me, I've looked. I keep seeing the Hammer studios 1959 version and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970). A few months back the "theme" of the month was mystery-related and I believe they had a bunch of Charlie Chan movies on in one night, but that is the only time I have seen them.

You might not believe this, but in AMC's golden era--just two years ago--they showed aCharlie Chan movie every Saturday morning. And there was one great weekend where they had an entire back-to-back festival of the beautifully restored Charlie Movies, starting from the very first one up until the last one. What was even better, Bob Dorian also introduced Betty Boop cartoons and an episode from a l940s Republic--usually Dick Tracy or Superman. Also, I get this weird station from Long Island--Channel 55--that shows offbeat movies every day. One month, they showed the complete Universal Sherlock Holmes Series (the ultimate best) with Basil Rathbone and his sidekick. Here's some fantastic news: if you have a DVD player, Catco DVD's has issued nearly all the original Universal Sherlock Holmes as double-features for just $5.00! I went to a Odd-Job outlet on Fifth Avenue here in NYC and got "The Woman in Green" and "House of Fear" on the same disc for $5.00. The quality is much better than tape, although it's not the pristine, digitally restored picture we've gotten used to on DVD. But at least you've got it to watch it whenever you want. As an added plus, you also get old cartoons and an episode from the great l937 serial, Undersea Kingdom. A fantastic bargain.