Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nostradamus And The Queen

Did anyone see this short between The Bachelor And The Bobbysoxer and Dream Wife tonight? Wasn't the beginning strangely like The Twilight Zone's opening? It had that strange Dali-esque landscape like The Zone had, with the same sort of intro narration. I think Serling lifted the idea of his opening from this.

Just wanted to say...I LOVE the Nostradamus shorts! I love the over-dramatic narration, I love the eerily accurate prophecies, I love the inevitable wartime propaganda tie-in at the end. :) I'd love to see more of the series (if there is more) - so far I'm just seeing the same 2 shorts repeated.

Another 'One Reel Wonder' that pops up occasionally is MGM's final Nostradamus short---1944's "Nostradamus and the Bobby Soxer," in which the old soothsayer predicts:

*the untimely death of Pres. Zachary Taylor

*invention of the ice cream cone (but strangely, not the invention of ice cream)

*U.S. rejection of the metric system

*U.S. rejection of Donna Reed as 'Miss Ellie' on "Dallas"

Wayne,

quote:

"Nostradamus...rejection of Donna Reed as 'Miss Ellie' on "Dallas""

I have been meaning to comment on your comment regarding the Nostradamus--network TV connection.

A couple of years ago I interpreted Quatrain XXIVa as predicting the substitution of Dick York by Dick Sargent--"Bewitched", 1969.

Quite specific as to the year...amazing!

Thank you for writing about this interesting (and little known) topic.

Rusty