Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Betamax is Dead

Will stop selling them?  I haven't seen one (store merchandise) in over 15 years.  I have one blank just as a souvenir (never had a Betamax though).

Beta must be undead.

23mt2c6.jpg

If my wife sees this she is going to demand (again),  that I know out all of my Beta tapes (I have over 300 with studio-era movies).

About 10 years ago my friend's dad died and he had a brand new,  in the box Sony Beta machine.   So I got that and it worked great but about 4 years ago I packed it up and put it into the grange.   I really should throw all this stuff away but something is preventing me. 

I thought it died in the 1980's.  About 1985, I bought my first VCR and a friend purchased a Betamax for the higher quality recording.  A few years later he purchased a VCR as no rental movies on Betamax anymore.  Kept Beta for years to duplicate, but eventually it died.

Was talking to salesman at an electronics store the other day and he said Blu-Ray is about to die out.

I thought it died in the 1980's.  About 1985, I bought my first VCR and a friend purchased a Betamax for the higher quality recording.  A few years later he purchased a VCR as no rental movies on Betamax anymore.  Kept Beta for years to duplicate, but eventually it died.

Was talking to salesman at an electronics store the other day and he said Blu-Ray is about to die out.

That reminds me I still have some Beta tapes which I should transfer.

IMO Blu-Ray never really took off like DVDs. 

There is a computer mega-store in my area and for as long as I can remember, their blank optical media isle remained exactly the same size.  In the last couple years they shut their doors for about a week or two and did a complete overhaul of inventory.  In that time, they got rid of everything that wasn't selling and added a bunch of new categories they never had before. 

One thing I noticed is that the mixed DVD/CD/Blu-Ray isle is one of the sections they didn't change one bit.  That section of isle is maybe 20 feet long and 6 feet tall, and I'd say by volume it has consistently been 90-95% CDs and DVDs.  Mostly DVDs.  The rest are Blu-Ray, mixed in with some less common specialty types of DVDs.  In addition there are also a couple end-caps nearby with even more DVDs and CDs.  That flip side of that isle is mostly Case Logic binders and different kinds of envelopes and accesories for optical media.  So it would appear DVDs aren't going anywhere (if so, then they would have changed this isle during overhaul).  Also it would appear that recordable Blu-Rays never really took off.

My first VCR was a Betamax. As were my second and third. Took a few years before I reluctantly got a VHS, and then only for the purchase of films in that format. Until DVDs came along, I always recorded off television in Beta.

I didnt realize that Beta tapes were still available. Just goes to show how loyal old time customers were to the format.

My first VCR was a Betamax. As were my second and third. Took a few years before I reluctantly got a VHS, and then only for the purchase of films in that format. Until DVDs came along, I always recorded off television in Beta.

I didnt realize that Beta tapes were still available. Just goes to show how loyal old time customers were to the format.

The only use of tapes I had was recording old movies off T.V. to Beta tapes.   I have relatives in Japan and Beta was around way into the 21st century there.  So from time to time they would send me blank tapes and once they send me a nice new Sony Betamax (I would send them Nestle chocolate (hey, that is what they really wanted!).

I had a friend at work(whom I haven't seen or heard from in TOO long) who NEVER made the switch to VHS.  And I also noticed:

Even when VHS was the KING of home recording and personal camcorderes, I was at an event in which a local TV news crew was covering.  I was somewhat amused to see them using BETAMAX video cameras.  After all, that aforementioned friend always claimed that Betamax was a much cleaner and sharper image than VHS was capable of.  My being far less technical savvy than him, I took his word for it.

He was also a long time member of some film society(name I can't conjur) and for years built up a collection of 16mm prints of old movie, Three Stooges, Our Gang and Laurel and Hardy comedy shorts.  He'd come to the house, set up his costly German sound projector and screen, and entertain me, the wife and the kids with a night of "Our Gang" and L&H films.  HE was the one who convinced me to travel to Ann Arbor to see KING KONG on a theater sized screen. 

But, a BETAMAX-er probably to this day.

Sepiatone

I had a friend at work(whom I haven't seen or heard from in TOO long) who NEVER made the switch to VHS.  And I also noticed:

Even when VHS was the KING of home recording and personal camcorderes, I was at an event in which a local TV news crew was covering.  I was somewhat amused to see them using BETAMAX video cameras.  After all, that aforementioned friend always claimed that Betamax was a much cleaner and sharper image than VHS was capable of.  My being far less technical savvy than him, I took his word for it.

He was also a long time member of some film society(name I can't conjur) and for years built up a collection of 16mm prints of old movie, Three Stooges, Our Gang and Laurel and Hardy comedy shorts.  He'd come to the house, set up his costly German sound projector and screen, and entertain me, the wife and the kids with a night of "Our Gang" and L&H films.  HE was the one who convinced me to travel to Ann Arbor to see KING KONG on a theater sized screen. 

But, a BETAMAX-er probably to this day.

Sepiatone

I never made the switch either since I never rented movies.    I only recorded movies off T.V. and since Beta was of higher quality than VHS,  I used Beta.     

If anyone thinks Beta or VHS is old, check out VX.

----------------------------------------------------------

One thing led to another and I found this.  To cut to the chase here, towards the end of the second video he finds a prism inside this very expensive camera, which is used to divide the color spectrum of the light three ways, so that it goes to three different optical sensors.  Similar idea to the way three-strip techicolor worked, using only B&W film.

EDIT: the prism is towards the end of the FIRST video, my bad.

Sony BetaCam SX Part 1: Equipment Autopsy

Sony BetaCam SX Part 2: Equipment Autopsy

• Like 1

One thing led to another and I found this.  To cut to the chase here, towards the end of the second video he finds a prism inside this very expensive camera, which is used to divide the color spectrum of the light three ways, so that it goes to three different optical sensors.  Similar idea to the way three-strip techicolor worked, using only B&W film.

Sony BetaCam SX Part 1: Equipment Autopsy

Sony BetaCam SX Part 2: Equipment Autopsy

I sure hope he really made an attempt to fix that VERY EXPENSIVE camera!

He did say DMW-7xxx

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=18832

I sure hope he really made an attempt to fix that VERY EXPENSIVE camera!

He did say DMW-7xxx

http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=18832

Yeah, pretty sick.  It would need qualified service resources, which the TV station probably already exhausted.  So next it would probably need the factory to tear everything apart just to localize the problem.  They probably wouldn't have the resources to just casually do that.  I would imagine it was out of warranty and a fully depreciated unit though, due to its age.  Could you imagine the factory service manual(s) for that thing?  I don't know if they consider the fine tuning of all those sub-assemblies, but if so we are probaby talking Grolier's or World Book Encyclopedia here.

P.S. he finds the prism in the end of the first video, not the second.