Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's Great About TCM

Tikisoo

OK, this is a thread about what is great about TCM. This is certainly a thread for personal opinions, but NOT a place to argue or gripe about what you think is wrong with the station....there's plenty of those threads already.

Here's what I love about TCM:

• No Commercials

• No interruptions during movies

• Hosts talking about the movie you're about to see or have just seen

• Special spotlights that teach me more about movies

• They show original vintage trailers

• The "branding" meaning openings, logos, "Remembers", "Word of Mouth"...all the fillers made by TCM

No other station caters to the viewer like TCM, and it has kept this level of excellence since the beginning. I hope it never changes.

• Like 10

I'm not certain if TCM has the funds for it anymore, but in the past they have actively participated in the restorations of prints of some films (silents, in particular), as well as a contest in which amateur composers competed to have a score accompany those silents.

Admittedly, though, that annual composer contest hasn't been in existence for a few years now. Hopefully TCM will revive it some time.

Aside from that, the channel does broadcast, at least it they are accessible, restored prints of films. Tt was a joy, for example, to see Meet John Doe finally looking good after years of PD quality images were the only ones available.

• Like 4

OK, this is a thread about what is great about TCM. This is certainly a thread for personal opinions, but NOT a place to argue or gripe about what you think is wrong with the station....there's plenty of those threads already.

• No Commercials

• The "branding" meaning openings, logos, "Remembers", "Word of Mouth"...all the fillers made by TCM

No other station caters to the viewer like TCM, and it has kept this level of excellence since the beginning. I hope it never changes.

• Not looking at STUPID commercials.

Edited by hamradio
  • Like 2

• No Commercials

Funny but you don't list movies as something you like;   That would be my reply to this topic;    I like that TCM is a place where,  most of the time, I can find studio-era movies playing,  from the generation of actors I have come to love.    Oh,  and no commercial interruptions during the film.    

• Like 2

Besides all the other great points made by posters, I would say that for a serious film fan who is not living in a major metropolis where there is access to film rarities of major vintage, that TCM is a magnificent repository of the greatest films ever made, both in the US of A and also from all other parts of the globe.

Where else in the world or particularly in the intellectually deprived vista of tv in America would you be able to see obscure silent films, foreign fare of Cannes Film winners, Russian films by someone like Tarkovsky, festivals of movies by noted directors from Europe and even Christmas shorts done by the Edison company in the 1890's?

TCM is a treasure trove for both the film scholar or just those looking for good, classic entertainment. I doubt there will ever be another channel of this magnitude of benefits for the viewer who is a student of film history, and that is why I see little to complain about on the TCM schedule since if I have already seen one movie ten times that they are showing, all I need do is wait about an hour and a half and another great film will be on.

• Like 7

Days such as this are my favorite thing about TCM. A day of Paul Kelly films which means seeing a bunch of seldom aired titles to honor someone who made his mark, but not enough of one to be remembered by most.

• Like 4

Days such as this are my favorite thing about TCM. A day of Paul Kelly films which means seeing a bunch of seldom aired titles to honor someone who made his mark, but not enough of one to be remembered by most.

Kelly is often known more for his time in prison than his films.    Still he was in some good ones. 

I am Cuba (1964) 9:15 Eastern Time

A study on the transition of Cuba to a post-revolutionary society.

soycuba.jpg

Red Dust (1932) Sat. Nov 14, 8:30 AM Eastern Time

A plantation overseer in Indochina is torn between a married woman and a lady of the evening.

profimedia-0097125152_galerie-980.jpg

And hundreds of other great movies.... more than any other channel on television.

• Like 2

I am Cuba (1964) 9:15 Eastern Time

A study on the transition of Cuba to a post-revolutionary society.

soycuba.jpg

Great choice, Fred. I bought that film years ago without knowing much about it, just from the cigar box packaging. Wow, was I enchanted watching the incredible beauty contest pool scene, with contestants parading around, then the scaffolding shot which enters the pool, which then transitions into the night club setting. The cinematography with infrared film is incredible.

• Not looking at STUPID commercials.

...and considering that the coming year will be a major election year, this here ESPECIALLY would apply!

(...yep, and so, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, TCM...you have NO idea how much I appreciate your channel being one of the very few devoid of "THOSE" kinds of stupid freakin' "commercials" ESPECIALLY!!!!!)

LOL

• Like 1

Thank you, TikiSoo, for trying to create a thread of positive, complimentary posts towards TCM.

It would be nice if people could let such intention be.

I agree, there is plenty of negativity on these boards. It shouldn't be too much to ask to keep it positive here, instead of swipes at a performer's personal life, or allusions to negative aspects of TMC under the guise of "improvement needed."

• Like 6

I agree, there is plenty of negativity on these boards. It shouldn't be too much to ask to keep it positive here, instead of swipes at a performer's personal life, or allusions to negative aspects of TMC under the guise of "improvement needed."

But my earlier little swipe at all those damn stupid political ads we're about to be inundated with on almost every other channel on our TV sets AND the fact that TCM at least doesn't show 'em, was okay to mention here, right Arturo??? ;)

LOL

• Like 1

But my earlier little swipe at all those damn stupid political ads we're about to be inundated with on almost every other channel on our TV sets AND the fact that TCM at least doesn't show 'em, was okay to mention here, right Arturo??? ;)

Sure sounded complimentary of TCM to me.

• Like 1

One word, "Imports." No other channel other than TCM still shows classic foreign films from Japan, Sweden, France, Poland, Russia,all the way to Timbuktu  anymore. Other channels like IFC and Sundance gave up on these films many years ago for things like Law and Order or CSI.

Also movie channels like Retro Encore and Sony are afraid to show a film with bars at the top and bottom. They feel the need to fill the screen even if it's in CinemaScope. If they have a foreign film on it's dubbed to English so that no one as to read subtitles. Can't have those pesky subtitles and black bars getting in the way of a pretty picture.

TCM and PBS are still one of a kind.

• Like 9

Sure sounded complimentary of TCM to me.

Thanks for the confirmation here, dark.

Ya know, I DO occasionally have a little problem differentiating "the positive" from "the negative" when it comes to these little asides of mine around here. ;)

(...and even though I've always considered myself one of those "glass half-full" kind'a people) 

Thanks for the confirmation here, dark.

Ya know, I DO occasionally have a little problem differentiating "the positive" from "the negative" when it comes to these little asides of mine around here. ;)

(...and even though I've always considered myself one of those "glass half-full" kind'a people) 

Glass half full right now, but it's leaking at the bottom.

Glass half full right now, but it's leaking at the bottom.

Well, this of course is because I occasionally mistakenly reach for that old joke dribble glass I keep in my kitchen cabinet.

(...just could never part with that sucker, ya know...it brings back such fond memories)