Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DVDs with Robert Osborne Intros

zombiewhacker

Hi guys.  First post here.

When I got That's Entertainment and That's Entertainment 2 on DVD some years back, I was pleased to discover that both DVDs featured introductions from Robert Osborne, shot on the TCM set. 

Needless to say, this was a welcome surprise, giving two already great documentaries an even classier touch, and I'm wondering how many other video releases have also offered the Osborne intros. 

The only other one I can think of offhand is one of the old Mike Hammer films (I believe it was Kiss Me Deadly with Ralph Meeker, which I have on VHS).

Hi guys.  First post here.

When I got That's Entertainment and That's Entertainment 2 on DVD some years back, I was pleased to discover that both DVDs featured introductions from Robert Osborne, shot on the TCM set. 

Needless to say, this was a welcome surprise, giving two already great documentaries an even classier touch, and I'm wondering how many other video releases have also offered the Osborne intros. 

The only other one I can think of offhand is one of the old Mike Hammer films (I believe it was Kiss Me Deadly with Ralph Meeker, which I have on VHS).

Hi zombie,

Welcome to the boards. To help answer your question-- I do know that the ones TCM has done in partnership with the Universal Vault usually feature Robert providing commentary. This is not a new technique though. In the early 2000s, I bought a three-movie set of Orson Welles films (THE STRANGER, THE TRIAL and MR. ARKADIN). It had been produced a few years earlier in the late 90s. Tony Curtis did the wraparound commentaries on those-- he would mention how when his then-wife Janet Leigh was working on TOUCH OF EVIL, he would visit the set and get to know Welles better. So it added something extra to seeing these films. A classier touch, as you say!

Thanks for the fast reply.  To your knowledge, do any of the TCM Greatest Classic Film DVD collections contain Osborne intros?  That would be a no-brainer, I should think.

I am not sure about that, zombie...perhaps someone else who has watched one of those discs recently can come along and comment. Or else you can check consumer reviews on Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Osborne intros on DVDs is like bumping into a friend in the theater. Pleasant & unexpected.

I've seen intros on;

The Maltese Falcon

Crossfire

The Major & The Minor

Network

Scarface

The Heiress

Royal Wedding

All Quiet On The Western Front

The Forbidden Hollywood Collection

Of course, these days there are different DVD releases available. Some may not include them.

Thanks for the fast reply.  To your knowledge, do any of the TCM Greatest Classic Film DVD collections contain Osborne intros?  That would be a no-brainer, I should think.

I own quite a few of these collections and I believe Robert Osborne pops up on some of the films here and there.  Like the Paul Newman collection I believe features an Osborne introduction on Somebody Up There Likes Me.  The Marlon Brando one, perhaps for A Streetcar Named Desire features Osborne as well.  These collections are comprised of discs that are already in print, they're not discs produced specifically for TCM.  If Osborne provides an introduction for one of the films, it's because he'd already produced one and it just happens to be on the studio's DVD release.  I've noticed with other DVDs I've purchased (not necessarily TCM ones) that they use existing DVDs in print for the release.  My Easter Parade DVD says "Disc One" on it, but the DVD is only one disc total.  There is a two-disc Easter Parade, but that's not the one I own.

For those of us who are long time fans of TCM, I think a DVD of RO intros going back to 1994 would sell like hotcakes.

I think it would be neat if the TCM branded films (The collections, the vault series, etc.) would feature past RO introductions.  There are probably multiple intros for every film that TCM has released.  

While there may be those who'd enjoy watching back to back to back intros, I think I'd prefer if the film being introduced followed.