Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Actor/Actress Quotes

What are some of your favorite actor/actress quotes (movie quotes don't count!)? Here are some of mine:

" I don't want to make money. I just want to be wonderful."-Marilyn Monroe

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean

"The gratification comes in the doing, not in the results."-James Dean

"There is no way to be truly great in this world. We are all impaled on the crook of conditioning. A fish that is in the water has no choice that he is. Genius would have it that we swim in sand. We are fish and we drown."-James Dean

"A career is wonderful thing, but you can't snuggle up to it on a cold night."-Marilyn Monroe

"I'm for the individual as opposed to the corporation. The way it is the individual is the underdog, and with all the things a corporation has going for them the individual comes out banged on her head. The artist is nothing. It's really tragic."-Marilyn Monroe

"People had a habit of looking at me as if I were some kind of mirror instead of a person. They didn't see me, they saw their own lewd thoughts, then they white-masked themselves by calling me the lewd one."-Marilyn Monroe

"I restore myself when I'm alone. "-Marilyn Monroe

"I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one."-Marilyn Monroe

"I never go out unless I look like Joan Crawford the movie star. If you want to see the girl next door, go next door."-Joan Crawford

"Attempt the impossible in order to improve your work. "-Bette Davis

"I have been uncompromising, peppery, intractable, monomaniacal, tactless, volatile, and ofttimes disagreeable... I suppose I'm larger than life. "-Bette Davis

"Love is not enough. It must be the foundation, the cornerstone-but not the complete structure. It is much too pliable, too yielding."-Bette Davis

"The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"-Bette Davis

"Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a ****. Maybe that's why Miss Crawford always plays ladies."-Bette Davis

"I love playing bitches. There's a lot of **** in every woman - a lot in every man."-Joan Crawford

"Life, is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming."-Myrna Loy

"Maybe it's Marilyn Monroe..." - Tom Ewell in "The Seven Year Itch"

(joking to his friend Tom MacKenzie who's stopped by and is curious about the "blond in the kitchen" remark made by Ewell). I always crack-up at that one.

Message was edited by: newswatcher4u

newswatcher4u

Message was edited by:

newswatcher4u

these are all from katharine hepburn said in interviews and whatnot.

?I've had a pretty remarkable life, but compared to my mother and father, I'm dull... The single most important thing anyone needs to know about me is that I am totally, completely the product of two damn fascinating individuals who happened to be my parents.?

?I was totally unaware that we were the second-rate sex.?

?You can't have the whole bargain. An actor should never marry, not even another actor. You're too involved with yourself, and your work is too demanding, to give the necessary amount of attention to another human being. Inevitably, that person feels left out. And becomes unhappy. We must never make people unhappy. Life's too short for that.?

?Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get--only what you are expecting to give--which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving.?

?Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.?

?I'm a personality as well as an actress. Show me an actress who isn't a personality and you'll show me a woman who isn't a star.?

?Acting is the most minor of gifts. Never forget that they don't give a Nobel Prize for it, and that Shirley Temple was doing it perfectly adequately at the age of four.?

?Two of an actress's greatest assets are love and pain. A great actress, even a good actress, must have plenty of both in her life?.

?In my relationships, I know that I have qualities that are offensive to people--especially men. I'm loud and talkative and I get on to subjects that irritate. If I feel these things causing a break, I know something has to give. I never think the man is going to give--or anyone else for that matter--so I do. I just deliberately change. I just shut up--when every atom in me wants to speak up.?

?On those famed legs: I wore tights onstage in 'As You Like It'. Why don't I show them in films? I'll tell you why, sir. I like to keep them a secret. I adore looking at them myself.?

?Pooh--they told me when I smiled I looked like a horse but I've made it pay for years!?

~kate

Some other quotes I love:

Bette Davis:

"If you've never been hated by your child, you haven't been a parent."

"Sex is God's joke on human beings"

"From the moment I was 6 I felt sexy. And let me tell you--it was sheer hell waiting to do something about it."

Marlene Dietrich:

"The legs aren't so beautiful, darling. I just know what to do with them."

"In America, sex is an obssession. In the rest of the world, its a fact."

"It's the friends you can call at 4 am that matter."

"If there's a Supreme Being, he's crazy."

Spencer Tracy:

"Just know your lines and don't bump into the furniture."

Cary Grant

"Everyone wants to be cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant."

Mae West:

"Given the choice of 2 evils, I always choose the one I haven't tried before"

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

'She climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong."

Tallulah Banhead:

"I'm pure as the driven slush."

"Good girls keep diaries. Bad girls don't have time."

"If I had my life to live over again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner."

"I'll come make love to you at 5 o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

Zsa Zsa Gabor:

"How many husbands have I had? You apart from my own?"

"I'll never hate a man enough to give back his diamonds."

Humphrey Bogart:

"The trouble with the world is everybody's about 3 drinks behind"

Errol Flynn:

"My trouble is reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

Clark Gable:

"If I'd jumped half the dames I'm supposed to have jumped, I wouldn't have time to go fishing."

Victor Mature, my favorite actor, had a sense of humor about himself, and obviously didn't take himself too seriously when he said:

I'm no actor ? and I have sixty-four pictures to prove it."

He also said:

"Hollywood is a place where the stars twinkle until they wrinkle."

I think I might have posted some of these in another thread but I can't remember which ones.

Orson Welles: My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people.

Orson Welles: Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

Billy Wilder: [upon seeing Sigmund Freud's therapy couch] "It was a very tiny little thing. All his theories were based on the analysis of very short people!"

Ingrid Bergman: Happiness is good health and a bad memory.

Groucho Marx: Humor is reason gone mad.

Groucho Marx: I drink to make other people interesting.

Shirley MacLaine: The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Ava Gardner: When I lose my temper, honey, you can't find it any place.

Samuel Goldwyn: It's more than magnificent - it's mediocre."

Samuel Goldwyn: If Roosevelt were alive today, he'd turn over in his grave.

Alfred Hitchcock: "When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, 'It's in the script.' If he says, 'But what's my motivation?, ' I say, 'Your salary.'"

Alfred Hitchcock: Seeing a murder on television can help work off one's antagonisms. And if you haven't any antagonisms, the commercials will give you some.

Elizabeth Taylor: The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

Mae West: You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

• 1 month later...

I think this is my all time favourite quote spoken by an actor/actress!

"Leslie Howard was a darling flirt. He'd be caressing your eyes and have his hand on someone else's leg at the same time. He was adorable." --actress Joan Blondell.

"The musicals had a good, happy feeling, saying that the world is a better place. They say it's not reality, but who cares? There's too much reality these days." --actress Shirley Jones

"Let's see what happens when I pull the fire alarm....." --actress Shirley Jones

(not certain if this was already posted)

"People often become actresses because of something they dislike about themselves: They pretend they are someone else." --actress Bette Davis

"To be a success and to be happy." --actor Gordon MacRae's ambition

All done for now;)

Emily aka Eliza

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...