Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dear Santa, Christmas movies wish list

This will be my first Christmas with TCM and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm hoping to see:

Holiday Affair  with Janet Leigh and Robert Mitchum being uncharacteristically charming.

Remember the Night Stanwyck does some wonderful acting in this, transitioning from hardboiled to soft and vulnerable in some beautiful scenes.  Sterling Holloway sings, "A Perfect Day." Love him.

A Christmas Carol Alastair Sim version.  The best.  Or not?

• Like 4

I like all three of those Christmas movies you cited, Andrea. And I agree, no question, the Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol,  also known as Scrooge, is definitely the best.

There are so very many Christmas movies. Plus, a new one seems to come out every November, often of questionable quality. 

Off-hand, the only one I can think of is One Magic Christmas. Mary Steenburgen stars as a weary mother who's almost given up on the whole Christmas thing. It strikes the right side of that very fine balance between sweetly touching, and bathos. It doesn't seem to be as well-known as it deserves.

• Like 3

This will be my first Christmas with TCM and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm hoping to see:

Holiday Affair  with Janet Leigh and Robert Mitchum being uncharacteristically charming.

Remember the Night Stanwyck does some wonderful acting in this, transitioning from hardboiled to soft and vulnerable in some beautiful scenes.  Sterling Holloway sings, "A Perfect Day." Love him.

A Christmas Carol Alastair Sim version.  The best.  Or not?

These may show up more than once during November and December.

Don't overlook Christmas in Connecticut and The Man Who Came To Dinner.  It Happened on 5th Ave. isn't bad, but not as good as the others.

What I find surprising is that both Hallmark Channels are showing Christmas movies 24/7 now through Dec.  Of course these are mostly the newer made for TV rom-coms and rom-drams of theirs.

I like all three of those Christmas movies you cited, Andrea. And I agree, no question, the Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol,  also known as Scrooge, is definitely the best.

There are so very many Christmas movies. Plus, a new one seems to come out every November, often of questionable quality. 

Off-hand, the only one I can think of is One Magic Christmas. Mary Steenburgen stars as a weary mother who's almost given up on the whole Christmas thing. It strikes the right side of that very fine balance between sweetly touching, and bathos. It doesn't seem to be as well-known as it deserves.

Ah, One Magic Christmas.  Where the message to the kids is 'if you believe in Santa and Christmas hard enough your parents will come back from the dead.'

I had lunch with its director, Philip Borsos a few years before he made that one and he was ruminating on who to cast as Santa Claus and I suggested Victor Buono.

Ah, One Magic Christmas.  Where the message to the kids is 'if you believe in Santa and Christmas hard enough your parents will come back from the dead.'

I had lunch with its director, Philip Borsos a few years before he made that one and he was ruminating on who to cast as Santa Claus and I suggested Victor Buono.

Details, details. It's no more unbelievable than It's a Wonderful Life.   Plus, the whole thing was filmed in Meaford, Ontario.

Be sure to watch out for the sequel,  One Magic Zombie.

...What I find surprising is that both Hallmark Channels are showing Christmas movies 24/7 now through Dec.  Of course these are mostly the newer made for TV rom-coms and rom-drams of theirs.

HEY now, Cid! Let's remember here that C & D-List actors have to work for a livin' so THEY can buy Christmas presents TOO, ya know!!!

(...I mean, lemme see YOU purchase a nice little tennis bracelet for YOUR girl on just a waiter's salary and the tips, HUH?!...betcha can't do it either!!!)

;)

• Like 1

Yep, Frasier Crane is on an extended vacation until

January 4, 2016. I've never seen one of these Hallmark

Christmas flicks, but I've seen the ads for them. They

all look about the same and it likely took about 5 minutes

to come up with the basic story line.

The Hallmark Christmas movies are the same as the regular Hallmark movies.  Every film is exactly the same but add a Christmas tree and Santa.  

The Hallmark Christmas movies are the same as the regular Hallmark movies.  Every film is exactly the same but add a Christmas tree and Santa.  

Well, isn't the..ahem..hallmark of ANY Christmas movie the tree and Santy Claus, speedy???

Well, UNLESS of course if ya wanna go all religious on the thing and actually show a little baby Jesus in a manger or somethin'.

(...but THEN of course if ya wanna do THAT whole thing up right, ya then gotta show his mom and dad, well, his STEP-dad evidently anyway, and then the three dudes bearin' gifts for the little guy...oh, and a camel or two never hurts to add a little authentic 'atmosphere' to the whole occasional, ya know...sorry, I almost forgot that)

• Like 1

I'll be attending another screening of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, as I know someday soon, the 35mm film will no longer be available.

This year there will be a screening of HOLIDAY INN too, the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to this, as I haven't seen it in years, and NEVER 35mm on the big screen!

MarkP2 (movie buddy) it's unedited-I checked!

I'll be attending another screening of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, as I know someday soon, the 35mm film will no longer be available.

This year there will be a screening of HOLIDAY INN too, the weekend after Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward to this, as I haven't seen it in years, and NEVER 35mm on the big screen!

MarkP2 (movie buddy) it's unedited-I checked!

Holiday Inn is a great movie.  My favorite number is the Washington's Birthday one where Bing Crosby keeps changing the title and tempo of the song, forcing Fred Astaire to make adjustments to his dancing on the fly.  Astaire did a great job.

• Like 1

Oh, dear. Is this a bad time to admit I watch some of those Hallmark Christmas movies? :unsure:

Don't forget the Lifetime ones, too! Lol

I wish someone would show Christmas Eve with Loretta Young and It Came Upon a Midnight Clear with Mickey Rooney. It's been a loooooong time since they've aired and my taped copies aren't that great anymore. I don't think TCM ever will, as they are TV movies.

I love watching all the movies listed here, except for One Magic Christmas. Haven't seen that one yet, maybe this year.

We're No Angels has become a Christmas favorite. Keeping with the Loretta Young theme, Come to the Stable and The Bishop's Wife are annual favorites. In the more contemporary field, A Christmas Story just never gets old for our family and I find While You Were Sleeping just so very enjoyable.

Happy early TCM Chrismas, Andrea. I'm sure you are going to find lots to enjoy.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the December schedule has already been fixed for a couple months. One has to get into the Christmas spirit early around here.

The qualifying factor of most Christmas movies seems to be that Christmas happens some time during the course of the thing. Are there any movies can be considered Christmas-y that have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas day? (Well, the answer is no; but, in case you were wondering, I was thinking of Kurosawa's The Idiot while writing this. The snow-covered landscape, pastoral music and wholesome story of the wisdom of the idiot somehow make me think of Christmas. It's the only example I can think of.)

• Like 1

Unfortunately the December schedule has already been fixed for a couple months. One has to get into the Christmas spirit early around here.

The qualifying factor of most Christmas movies seems to be that Christmas happens some time during the course of the thing. Are there any movies can be considered Christmas-y that have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas day? (Well, the answer is no; but, in case you were wondering, I was thinking of Kurosawa's The Idiot while writing this. The snow-covered landscape, pastoral music and wholesome story of the wisdom of the idiot somehow make me think of Christmas. It's the only example I can think of.)

Actually, Come to the Stable, which I mentioned in my previous post, is not a Christmas movie at all, and yet for me has that Christmas feel you mentioned. New England setting, snow, winter time, nuns, Christian faith overtone, etc. It will air on December 20th at 3:45 pm EST, in case anyone is interested. 

• Like 1

I have my set of Christmas movies that I watch each year, whether or not TCM supplements that selection depends on what is shown.  There are at least a couple films airing on TCM that I haven't seen and will make sure to record those as well.

These are my Christmas movies that I watch throughout the holiday season:

Holiday Inn

White Christmas

Love Actually

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

A Christmas Story

Grumpy Old Men

Gremlins

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Never Say Goodbye

Christmas in Connecticut

Elf

A Charlie Brown Christmas 

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)

Frosty the Snowman (the one with Jimmy Durante)

Home Alone

Meet Me in St. Louis

The Apartment

The Sisters

I haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th Street for years and I just purchased copies of these films.  I look forward to adding them to my Christmas rotation.

Thanks to TCM, these are the Christmas films I'm going to be seeing for the first time:

The Bishop's Wife

Remember the Night

Bachelor Mother (Actually, I think I may have seen this before, but I can't remember anything about it--except for Donald Duck).

Then there are the other non-Christmas movies that I always end up watching:

Grumpier Old Men (when I watch the first one, I inevitably want to watch the second one afterward)

The Wizard of Oz (I always seem to need to watch this movie around this time out of tradition)

• Like 2

"Are there no work houses?"

Christmas eve is not Christmas eve in my household without seeing Alastair Sim in Scrooge (1951) aka A Christmas Carol.

Thankfully I have my own copy as TCM doesn't seem to play this one.

• Like 2

We have several "Christmas" movies on DVD.

We also bought the Holiday TV Classics DVD set of old TV shows a few years ago and watch many of them during the season as well.

Incidentally, Cover Up is another Christmas time movie, although usually classified as a Film Noir or Mystery.

Jim Henson's Emett Otter's Jug Band Christmas is another one, but is unlikely to show up on TCM.

• Like 1

We have several "Christmas" movies on DVD.

We also bought the Holiday TV Classics DVD set of old TV shows a few years ago and watch many of them during the season as well.

Incidentally, Cover Up is another Christmas time movie, although usually classified as a Film Noir or Mystery.

Jim Henson's Emett Otter's Jug Band Christmas is another one, but is unlikely to show up on TCM.

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas is a wonderful program. We love it. I don't know of too many people who are aware of it. It hasn't aired on tv in a very long time.

We also love to watch the old holiday tv specials. MeTV airs a lot of them and is actually going to start their Christmas programming tomorrow night @ 8pm cst. Up this week are Family Affair, The Bob Newhart Show, Dobie Gillis, The Lucy Show, The Doris Day Show, Make Room for Daddy and The Brady Bunch. This is early for MeTV as they usually wait until December 1st.

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas is a wonderful program. We love it. I don't know of too many people who are aware of it. It hasn't aired on tv in a very long time.

We also love to watch the old holiday tv specials. MeTV airs a lot of them and is actually going to start their Christmas programming tomorrow night @ 8pm cst. Up this week are Family Affair, The Bob Newhart Show, Dobie Gillis, The Lucy Show, The Doris Day Show, Make Room for Daddy and The Brady Bunch. This is early for MeTV as they usually wait until December 1st.

I'm glad you brought up all the Christmas episodes of TV Shows... I was going to, but I didn't to go off on a tangent away from film.

I love watching:

2 Christmas episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, there's a first season episode where Mary finds out that she has to work on Christmas Day and then ends up working on Christmas Eve as well; then there's a 5th season episode where the WJM crew is snowed in and are feuding.  Sue Ann invites them for Christmas dinner (even though it's November) as it's leftover from her Christmas show.  The crew (still fighting), come down for dinner and Sue Ann forces them to wear silly hats (left over from her International cuisine special).  The funniest is Mary having to wear the spiked German Kaiser helmet. 

I Love Lucy- It seems that CBS is making it an annual special to colorize an episode and follow it with the rarely seen Christmas episode.  I watch the colorization out of sheer curiosity.  The Christmas special really isn't all that interesting, it's really just a clip-show, but I love me some I Love Lucy.

The Brady Bunch- A first season episode where Carol loses her voice right before she was supposed to sing at church during the Christmas service.  Cue some overly saccharine moments like when Cindy asks Santa to help her mommy get her voice back.  The Bradys are sappy and corny, but I love them anyway.

Not a TV Show, but a made-for-TV movie, I love the Brady Bunch Christmas movie from the late 80s.  It usually airs somewhere at least once a year.

The Andy Griffith Show, the crabby department store owner makes Andy lock up a man for making moonshine (seriously Andy, you'e the sheriff, ignore crabby Ben), Andy does his best to bring Christmas to him. Everyone from town comes to the Christmas party in the jail, and the store owner starts feeling lonely and purposely breaks laws to try and get arrested so he can join the party.  Andy figures it out and arrests Ben but not before he's gathered gifts for everyone from his store.

• Like 1