Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Movie to watch when your depressed

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

I have said this before on 'some' thread, so I'm not just saying it because of the holiday season. The movie that brings me up the most is Scrooge with Alastair Sim. It just always makes me 'live in the moment' and realize that all is not lost and that things CAN be changed. I watch it when I need to no matter what month it is. :-)

KIDS RETURN (1997) by Takeshi Kitano

CHUNGKING EXPRESS (1994) by Wong Kar-Wai

'92 LEGEND OF LA ROSE NOIRE (1992) by Jeffrey Lau

FIELD OF DREAMS

SILENT RUNNING

A LITTLE ROMANCE

THE AFTER LIFE (1997) by Hirokazu Kore-eda

AN AUTUMN'S TALE (1987) by Mabel Cheung

DAYS OF BEING WILD (1991) by Wong Kar-Wai

HER FATAL WAYS (1991) by Alfred Cheung (but ignore just about everything else that has his name listed)

and many more.....

I was recently sick with the stomach flu and the only thing that lifted my spirits was watching my Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Pack. I watched nearly every movie in it. Those movies can make me feel better whenever I'm in a bad mood--I especially like "Something In The Wind" and "It Started With Eve."

"Singin' In The Rain" is always good, too, as is "You Can't Take It With You."

Days of Being Wild is a depressing movie to me, or did you pick this one to keep feeling depressed when you're depressed? This is perhaps the darkest, or least colorful of Doyle's cinematography ... maybe that's why it feels that way to me. Great movie though. I feel depressed when thinking of Leslie Cheung's suicide a couple of years ago.

Matthelm you're spot-on... I do like to bask in the melancholy, and DAYS OF BEING WILD is such a film that can do that for me. The scenes that do it for me are 1) Leslie Cheung's back-shot as he walks away not allowing his mother to see how hurt he was, and 2) on the train, when Leslie realizes Andy Lau knows Maggie Cheung.

the lines--"bird without legs", & "share this minute with me" are so embedded into people's minds in HK, they're still used as references in movies and tv dramas, but mostly as a joke nowadays.

Message was edited by:

maufrais

if you watch Johnny To's RUNNING ON KARMA (2003), the scene near the end was supposedly shot around the spot where Leslie jumped. A few local critics pointed this out to be his tribute to Leslie Cheung (i.e. not just by location, but also how it relates to the story at that particular point of the film).

in terms of Leslie's career, he passed away after a few attempts to revive his popularity. It was a good effort, but compared to his peak during the late 1980's and early 1990's, it wasn't anywhere close... that said, the entertainment scene in Hong Kong is no longer the same, and no one today has that kind of star power like Chow Yun-fat, Leslie, and Anita Mui did 15 years ago... Chow remains a superstar bc he rarely makes movies in Asia now, and that allows his status as local hero to remain bc his peak performances can continue to be the body of works locals relish and remember him by. Tony Leung gets the world-class awards for films like IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE and CITY OF SADNESS, but he also makes forgettable films in between. The bad ones dilute their unforgettable performances and separate them from those who don't do as much nowadays.

The only exception to the above would probably be Stephen Chow, but he pretty much has full control of his films as co-director... and he does well enough to not have to make more than 1 film every 2 years so he can have time to ride his mtn bike around central at night... aspiring starlets also keep him busy enough.

I haven't seen Running On Karma yet. I'm behind a couple of years on the HK movies because I moved to FL and it's a wasteland as far as international culture goes, unless you go to Epcot. And I let my Asian Cult Cinema subscription run out too. I have to join Netflix for a month and catch up ... any recommendations?

I think the DVD pirates are ruining the film industry in HK. I don't know what's going on now, but a few years ago, they could just sell bootleg copies of VCDs and DVDs in mall stores, while those movies were still in theaters. The movie companies had to start releasing the movies the moment the movie was out of the theater on DVD to compete with the pirates. Since box office receipts determine an actor's popularity, that's why they're lacking in star power. Everyone just buys the cheap VCD on the street or at the mall. I'm assuming it's still going on like that.

I was sad to hear that Anita Mui died too.

Any Audrey, Ginger, Myrna, or Barbara Stanwyck movie. They always make me feel better. I love watching TCM all day too when I have the flu, I did that last week. I couldnt get off the couch, so I saw some new wonderful movies too that made me feel better even though I felt like I was going to die haha. Thanks TCM!! :). Anyways, yeah, when I want to have a good cry though I will watch Stella Dallas, Since You Went Away or I'll Be Seeing You.

I'm not a big Anita Mui fan, but her passing was quite an event. Like many of the HK movie icons from the 1980's, her career has seen a dip owing to piracy (movies, as well as music) and younger competition. Anita managed to get a sponsor to put her back on stage (where she's most at ease) in a concert series a few months before her passing. Evidently that was her one wish she wanted to realize after the cancer was confirmed to be terminal. At the end of her last show in front of about 15000 fans, she slowly walked toward the white arch on the top of the stage where she was to exit. She stood under the arch for a short while, overwhelmed by the applause, but holding it all in. Before she made her exit, she waved goodbye and said "until we meet again".

that was the last time she made a public appearance.

btw, the public didn't know she was dying when they promoted the concert series (i.e. it wasn't used as a pitch-point to sell tickets).

tabloids did make some noise about her illness, but no mention that she was losing the same battle as her sister did a few years back.