Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaragon

"The Young Girls of Rochefort" (1967)

Saw this when it was in theaters, with an English dub, which they did not include on its home video release.  Not that I really care, but it would have been fun, strictly for nostalgic reasons.  George Chakiris and Demy did not get along.  Grover Dale and Demy did.

• Like 2

This Jacques Demy film is such an enchanted musical - its' world couldn't be more vital. It's about people, young and older, who are looking for love and actually find it,too.  The score, which has often been derided, is quite enchanting, too.  Originally, it was intended for a Cinerama release, but I don't think that version even surfaced.  I love, love, love the entire cast, especially a very young Jacques Perrin.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Please, do not miss this one-of-a-kind musical at 10:45 tonight on TCM in its' tribute to George Chakiris.

10174_4.jpg

In its' phallic imaginery, this picture is worth a thousand words:

kings-of-the-sun.jpg

Grover Dale should have been Corneilus Hackl in the film version of HELLO, DOLLY!, the role so poorly played by Michael Crawford.

• Like 1

Grover Dale should have been Corneilus Hackl in the film version of HELLO, DOLLY!, the role so poorly played by Michael Crawford.

As far as I know, he only made two films - "The Young Girls of Rochefort" and "The Unsinkable Molly Brown".

But he was such an engaging personality - and he could certainly dance up a storm, too.

Those well-propelled legs were "a marvel".

I never grow tired of watching him in "The Young Girls of Rochefort".

He has a supporting role in HALF A SIXPENCE, as well.  He also appeared in the Broadway production.  His son, with late actress Anita Morris, does lots of film work.

With the bowler hat from Half A Sixpence

I saw The Young Girls of Rochefort for the first time last week.  I loved it! I can't remember seeing outdoor scenes so sunny and cheerful.  A wonderful homage indeed.

• Like 1