Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Debbie Reynolds

sapphiere

The Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences announced yesterday that Debbie Reynolds would not be able to accept in person the Jean Hersholdt Humanitarian Award at tonights Governor`s Awards Ceremony. Debbie recently had surgery, and her recovery has taken longer than expected. In her place Debbie`s granddaughter Billie ( Carrie Fisher`s daughter) will be accepting. We wiil be thinking of you tonight Debbie, and a speedy recovery to you from all your fans.

• Like 4

fisher1-620x400.jpg

Wow! I hadn't noticed that Billie Lourd was all grown up and starring in the FOX television series "Scream Queens." I'm sure she'll do just fine in accepting her grandmmother's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

Thank you Jakeem for posting the lovely photo of Debbie , Carrie, and Billie. She is a beautiful girl, and it is the first photo I have seen of her. I do not watch Scream Queens, so I did not know that she was in the cast. Debbie`s new book MAKE EM LAUGH 2015 is coming out this month. 

Thank you Jakeem for posting the lovely photo of Debbie , Carrie, and Billie. She is a beautiful girl, and it is the first photo I have seen of her. I do not watch Scream Queens, so I did not know that she was in the cast. Debbie`s new book MAKE EM LAUGH 2015 is coming out this month. 

You're welcome! Here's more about Billie and "Scream Queens." She plays Chanel No. 3, which reflects the fact that there are several girls named Chanel in her college sorority. If you're wondering why the coed wears earmuffs, it's reportedly a reference to the hairdo of Princess Leia -- the "Star Wars" character played by Billie's mother Carrie Fisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y10zZ_eTlOg

Reading the press release from Deadline Hollywood Jane Fonda spoke of Debbie`s charitable work with the Thalians which was the reason she was given the Jean Hersholdt Humanitarian Academy Award. Debbie said a video thank you in a weak voice. Her granddaughter Billie was presented the award by Meryl Streep, and there was a nice photo of Billie and her mother Carrie Fisher posted.

• Like 1

Reading the press release from Deadline Hollywood Jane Fonda spoke of Debbie`s charitable work with the Thalians which was the reason she was given the Jean Hersholdt Humanitarian Academy Award. Debbie said a video thank you in a weak voice. Her granddaughter Billie was presented the award by Meryl Streep, and there was a nice photo of Billie and her mother Carrie Fisher posted.

Thanks for the updates and for letting us know about all this.

Thanks for the updates and for letting us know about all this.

I was more than happy TB to share the imformation. Debbie has two movies on Amazon Prime that are highly rated. I love THE RAT RACE 1960 with Tony Curtis where Debbie plays a dancer and Tony a musician. They end up sharing a apartment platonically, and complications ensue. I have not seen THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY 1961 with Fred Astaire and Lili Palmer. Delores Hart played Debbie`s role on Broadway. Debbie`s new book MAKE EM LAUGH was released on November 10, 2015. The reviews look good, and Debbie has nice things to say about everyone but Milton Berle and Shelley Winters.Milton always seemed to have a big ego, and Shelley liked to talk a lot. I read Debbie`s last book UNSINKABLE 2013, I enjoyed it very much especially her comments on the movies she had made. 

• Like 1

Friends, I just discovered that the presentation of Debbie`s Jean Hersholdt Humanitarian Award is available to view on YOU TUBE.COM Debbie Reynolds or OSCAR.COM. The first clip is Jane Fonda talking about the reason Debbie was given the award, and the second clip is Meryl Streep presenting the award to Debbie`s granddaughter Billie Lourd. I wish that I was more talented to transfer the clips to the TCM site myself, but no can do. The clips for Gena Rowlands and Spike Lee are also available at these sites. In August 1999 I saw Debbie Reynolds perform her one woman show at the New York State Fair in Syracuse, New York. Sixteen years later I still remember what a great entertainment she gave her fans. The stage was in the courtyard not the main stage on the infield. But Debbie gave us everything she had with her jokes, impressions, and singing. A few years earlier I had see Frank Sinatra on the main stage, but I will never forget Debbie.

• Like 1

In August 1999 I saw Debbie Reynolds perform her one woman show at the New York State Fair in Syracuse, New York.

I was there too!

Still have her photo/autograph waiting to frame.

Seeing her perform was revelatory; this tiny little woman on a stage held thousands of people captive. She sang, danced and talked a bit (dontcha love when she calls herself Princess Leia's Mother?) for at least an hour-so impressive for a woman of her age. Every eye was on her and I watched people's faces as they lit up, smiled and sang along with her. 

Sure, a movie star can act a few minutes on set, but Debbie is a TRUE ENTERTAINER. There are so very few these days with the sort of talent, who can command an audience attention. (with distractions of a fair going on behind her)

I've read all her books-the first was too depressing, I actually discarded it. I enjoyed UNSINKABLE more, but the fiasco of keeping her costume collection infuriated me. When I met her back stage in 99, I thanked her for buying & keeping the costumes and how much it meant to classic film fans. She acted surprised anyone knew about it or cared.

She is truly a special person who deserves awards & our respect. Plus, she's Princess Leia's Mother! I think Carrie Fisher is my number one favorite author. (sorry to steal Debbie's thunder, but Fisher's book on how she got Billie is a hoot!)

• Like 2

In August 1999 I saw Debbie Reynolds perform her one woman show at the New York State Fair in Syracuse, New York.

I was there too!

Seeing her perform was revelatory; this tiny little woman on a stage held thousands of people captive. She sang, danced and talked a bit (dontcha love when she calls herself Princess Leia's Mother?) for at least an hour-so impressive for a woman of her age. Every eye was on her and I watched people's faces as they lit up, smiled and sang along with her. 

Sure, a movie star can act a few minutes on set, but Debbie is a TRUE ENTERTAINER. There are so very few these days with the sort of talent, who can command an audience attention. (with distractions of a fair going on behind her)

I've read all her books-the first was too depressing, I actually discarded it. I enjoyed UNSINKABLE more, but the fiasco of keeping her costume collection infuriated me. When I met her back stage in 99, I thanked her for buying & keeping the costumes and how much it meant to classic film fans. She acted surprised anyone knew about it or cared.

She is truly a special person who deserves awards & our respect. Plus, she's Princess Leia's Mother! I think Carrie Fisher is my number one favorite author. (sorry to steal Debbie's thunder, but Fisher's book on how she got Billie is a hoot!)

I am happy that you were able to talk to Debbie backstage. At the time I went, I was living in a suburb of Rochester, N.Y. Debbie has always seemed to me such a nice person, and Eddie Fisher wasn`t very nice to her. She should have listened to Frank Sinatra`s advice and not marry a singer. The second and third husbands took her money like Doris Day. Glenn Ford wanted to marry her, but she was wise enough to say no. It took Debbie many years, but she finally paid off all her debts. I hope that her new book is as successful as UNBREAKABLE. The 2002 Private Screenings with Robert Osborne is posted on YOU TUBE, and I wanted to watch it again.

Anyone know what the surgery was about?

She's rumored to have a movie in the works so maybe she's getting into shape. It's called Big Finish. Hope she gets to appear at the regular awards show in March or whenever they have it now....

• Like 2

She's rumored to have a movie in the works so maybe she's getting into shape. It's called Big Finish. Hope she gets to appear at the regular awards show in March or whenever they have it now....

Whatever happened to going to the gym or bringing a personal trainer into your home to get in shape? Maybe she has real medical problems the public does not know about yet.

I was there too!

I don't believe any girl-next-door type has ever become a bigger star.

• Like 1

And people forget that Debbie Reynolds was also a recording star. She had 4 hit singles in the Top 40 between 1951 and 1960 along with a couple albums and all those movie musicals. Her recording of "Tammy" went #1 and Gold in 1957 and was the year's biggest seller by a female vocalist.

Reynolds also starred on Broadway in 1973 in the musical Irene and won a Tony nomination as best actress. She starred in Debbie in 1976 and in the early 80s starred in Woman of the Year in the role Lauren Bacall created.

• Like 2

I always Stephen Colbert, but Friday night Jimmy Fallon has Debbie Reynold`s granddaughter Billie Lourde as a guest. I hope that he will ask her how her grandmother is feeling.

Let us know what she says! I would think it would be important surgery to miss receiving an Oscar.......

Let us know what she says! I would think it would be important surgery to miss receiving an Oscar.......

I wrote my post late last night, and I stupidly left out the word like. I am in the process of moving to another apartment here, and I guess I was tired. Friday night I will watch Jimmy Fallon, but I do not care for his interviewing skills. My son loves his show. Tonight Stephen Colbert had Justin Theroux as a guest. He mentioned that he stars in HBO`S THE LEFTOVERS, and People Magazine listed him as one of the sexiest men of the year. Justin was surprised. I did not know that he cowrote TROPIC THUNDER with Ben Stiller, but I knew his wife is Jennifer Anniston.

I watched the interview of Billie Lourde on Jimmy Fallon`s show. Jimmy only wanted to talk about meeting Billie at a party when she was six. Jimmy knows her father. Her mother Carrie Fisher`s name did come up, Billie said when she was in middle school the boys thought she was hot because her mother was Princess Leia. No mention of Grandmother Debbie, so I hope that she is feeling better.