Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Taking It All For Granted

Everybody needs to let loose some time. I really liked that someone was brave enough to approve of RS's New Year's presentation and say so. I had a flash this morning reading a reply to one my posts that really got me riled. I was long without TCM and envied anyone who had the opportunity to get it. Thanks to the fine powers-that-be at StarChoice in Canada, I can now watch something as lackluster as Dancing Sweeties, which I did this morning, and love it. When the first changes on this website took place awhile back, I don't think I had too much negativity to contribute, but I do know that the only criticism I had this time around was the absence of the running times on the schedule. A valid, constructive criticism that was addressed and corrected. I can't speak for others, but I'm SO tired of logging on and seeing constant criticism of TCM more and more frequently on these forums because, as at least one member here can attest, some people still can't watch what some of us take for granted. What really counts are the films, is that not so? It would be redundant to state that the world isn't exactly a perfect place but, obviously, I guess it's a necessary reminder. Complaining about the TCM logo when you're lucky enough to be watching the films at all is ridiculous. Complaining about a link that isn't one-hundred percent operational after one day of the changes is downright petty. Most of all, complaining about the schedule itself fails to consider those people who tune into TCM and didn't catch Now, Voyager or whatever else TCM frequently airs and are appreciating these gems for the first time. We are grateful for TCM in a world of world of intense, visually hyperactive crap and the constant reminders here of genius, intelligence, films that were entertaining even when considered a 'programmer' (unlike the 'B's of today) are super for anyone channel-surfing to hit upon for the first time. I'm sure some people can remember a time when the probability of Death Takes a Holiday airing on the same station as the superb Wings of Desire (regardless of the picture quality) was slim. I applaud TCM every day for what this station allows me to see, even if I don't particularly like Gene Kelly or Judy Garland, I'm not going to post a thread complaining about the frequency of their films over more obscure titles I've yet to see air. I'll take it as it comes and love it when it does. Maybe I'm just as guilty of complaining, that I'm complaining about complaining but I just think it's inappropriate (unless someone's been offensive, or had a geniune problem with a poster's content---I can certainly relate to that) but, geez, some days when I read these threads I can't believe how many people are just plain petty.

I NEVER join forums. That said...I will be taken for a liar unless I explain. I have audited these forums infrequently and have been curious why there are not more positive comments. When I finally saw one I was driven to subscribe to the forum and say "Me Too".

Before finding TCM I had no idea movies could be so entertaining nor did I appreciate their art. The only real down-side to becoming a TCM addict is that I find it difficult to watch other corporate-driven television channels (5 minutes of content then 10 minutes of commercials).

I really like what the people at TCM are doing. The new website is nice and the database of movies and the content provided there is impressive.

Yes, I hate it when they play Citizen Kane every month...but it sure beats another reality television program.

Bless you. I'm grateful TCM is even there. Where else can we get these films? Especially since they're not mixed in with the modern dreck. I've said before that they have to draw new viewers so if they have to show Casablanca again, so be it. Most of us have a pretty good video collection, use it. Those of us who love these films may be a minority of the overall viewing audience but I appreciate TCM showing these films and doing it commercial free. Everybody is not going to agree on everything but you'd think our mutual love of these films would give us the sense that we don't need to wear everyone out by complaining, least of all about each other. I appreciate those who add information, humor and insight to this forum. Even if we do disagree we can be civil about it. After all if is only about movies. If TCM weren't there we'd probably be complaining that they weren't there. I'm in no hurry to find out.

Let me add that I agree completely with the original posting. I just signed up after months of reading posts. I love TCM with all of my heart and did take it for granted even though I knew better. I grew up watching AMC and started avoiding it after they started showing movies that I didn't care to see. The running joke was that AMC meant the 'Audie Murphy Channel.' Now I wish to have those days back.

I lost AMC but at least I have TCM. Technically though I haven't watched TCM for months as I moved to a hotel until I get settled into my next residence. This hotel doesn't offer TCM so I am watching tons of dvds and going thru TCM withdrawl.

Yes, there are some movies that they show over and over but think about this...we need to recruit new people all of the time. Perhaps some young person is flipping through channels or looking at the listings and they see Casablanca....maybe their curiosity will make them check it out. Hey, back in the 50s King Kong was shown in the NY area WOR tv at least 15 times in one week. We shouldn't complain about Citizen Kane being shown once a month.

Thanks for reading!!

Miss Randi

Johnny . . . and others . . . so well said! I've considered making a thread like this but never got around to it. :-)

God bless TCM and I never forget that. I'm in Canada and have had TCM for 6-8 years - when Canada was unable to get it. My satellite provider thinks I live in the US, which of course, involves a lot of travel to the US, etc. every time I need to pay a bill, (which I do pay yearly) as well as anything else. Luckily I don't live too far from the border. Why do I do this? Totally because I wanted TCM so bad! I was willing to go to any lengths to get it. So, I count my lucky stars for all the wonderful service they provide and fantastic movies they show. I LOVE TCM!

Welcome susanb and MissRandi! And a very Happy New Year to you, path40a, and to the rest of you. It's reassuring to know there are some people onboard who really do care about films and not silly technical glitches. In this era of immediacy, I think there's still some people who remember a time when if you wanted a something inane like a complete filmography of Alan Hale Sr, like I did twenty years ago, I had to visit a big library and scour a bunch of thick books to get one or when I wanted to watch Aggie Appleby Maker of Men, I had to search high and low for a dealer who stocked it. We didn't have the imdb or TCM then. I really do think more of us should be appreciating what we have and not how much better it could be when, for me at least, what I can get is good enough for me---and that's a day with Loretta Young later in the week and a day with Kay Francis next week and so and so on...

johnnyweekes70,

quote:

"...something inane like a complete filmography of Alan Hale Sr..."

Inane?! No...not at all!

An appreciation for one of Hollywood's best actors is a fine thing. What was the genesis of interest in Alan Hale Sr.? His positive contribution to ANY movie in which he co-starred?. His very long Hollywood career?

I am amazed he played "Little John" three times over a span of what...thirty years? What a guy--Alan Hale Sr..

Rusty

Yeah, Rusty, he was quite a guy! I think I first saw him in The Strawberry Blonde or The Fighting 69th or Gentleman Jim and he made me laugh so much and so hard I just had to repeat the exercise. A true original. I was probably being facetious when I wrote what I wrote---Hale just popped into my head to use as an example---but I entirely agree with you that he postively contributed to any film he was in, and an exercise to mention Hale always promotes a worthwhile discussion, however brief. Good point, and good that you noticed.

Johnny