Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

strange but interesting actors

Lorenzo1950

Some that come to mind are: Moroni Olsen, Billy House and Rafaela Ottiano.

Moroni Olsen, if nothing else but that great name and a couple of roles where he was heard but never seen. When he was seen he was a very imposing figure.

Billy House was very strange in The Stranger. I could barely understand a word he said. He had this way of mumbling his lines.

Rafaela Ottiano I just discovered recently in The Devil-Doll.

Any others you can add to the list? They should be relatively unknown but very interesting. I thought of Ernest Thesiger and Una O'Connor but they are fairly well known.

Two other impressive supporting performers from Orson Welles' The Stranger are Konstantin Shayne who plays Konrad Meinike and Martha Wentworth who plays Sara, the maid.

I just watched it again last night.  

Shayne was also good in Cry of the City (1948) as the doctor who is practising without a license.

• Like 1

And I guess Timothy Carey might fall into this category too.

Good pick, Bogie. Not much guessing on my part about his rightful inclusion in this club of the bizarre.

600full-timothy-carey1_zpsiv3reqat.jpg

Any time I see someone looking like this on the mean streets of Toronto (and I've seen a few) I usually try to cross to the other side.

• Like 1

Moroni Olsen, if nothing else but that great name and a couple of roles where he was heard but never seen. When he was seen he was a very imposing figure.

Thanks for the interesting thread idea, Lorenzo.

I have to wonder about your inclusion of Moroni Olsen, however. He might have a strange name, as you say, but, as a character actor, he usually played fairly respectable types in the movies, though sometimes he could be a villain. He's a pretty normal seeming type to me (unless my idea of "normal" is strange to someone else, that is).

4005195.jpg

• Like 1

He might be a little more well known than the OP would prefer, but Dennis Weaver in Touch of Evil was pretty strange:

Touch-of-Evil-14.jpg

Hey, I just had to include your whole post, including the pic, just so we can look at that hilarious face a third time !

Interesting that you mentioned Touch of Evil, because I was thinking of someone from that movie, too. I don't think anyone's yet listed a female actor. I nominate Mercedes McCambridge. No explanation necessary.

f0c845636cf16601ed9028105c97e892.jpg

"I wanna watch."

• Like 1

Imagine living next door to this guy in Beverly Hills..!

screen-shot-2015-11-15-at-2-43-20-pm.png

Rondo Hatton is by far the strangest, most interesting actor I have ever seen on screen. I believe he had some sort of medical condition that gave him such a startling appearance. But whoever put him into those Universal horror films certainly knew what they were doing. How could he not be a star in this genre with that face baby that face that sweet scary face.

11409-17763.jpg

Mike Mazurki in Some Like it Hot was pretty strange and he had one of my favorite lines in the movie: "Buttermilk!" 

Mazurki was very strange in the Shanghai Gesture with that final line of "you likee Chinese New Year?" .

But hey everyone in the entire cast was strange in that movie!  

Well, I have sort of become a Moroni Olsen fan. He usually shows up in noir movies or as an authority figure. Today he was in the Glass Key. From what I read about him he was a fairly large man with a menacing appearance. I can see it to a point, plus he had the very deep resounding voice. As the magic mirror in Snow White and St Joseph in It's a Wonderful Life I have heard him all my life. I love his name, it has a noir sound to it. I think Moroni was a family name, he was born in Utah in 1889 and died at age 65.

Timothy Carey I hadn't though of but he was way ahead of his time for weirdness.

Everyone mentioned so far fits the description. I am also a Rondo Hatton fan.

I am wondering if Mike Mazurki ever portrayed a normal character. I heard he was a very intelligent man.

badseed4.jpg

Leroy- The Bad Seed (1956) played by Henry Jones. He's constantly talking to young Rhoda about how the police have special powder that can reveal blood on objects, and how "They've got a little blue chair for little boys, and a little pink one for little girls" (electric chair), which is unsettling.

Black+Cat+Gale.jpg

Gale Sondergaard as the caretaker of the house, Miss Lu, in The Cat and the Canary (1939). She's constantly keeping watch on the deceased's relatives (they have been invited to stay in the house for a little while after hearing the will read). Gale Sondergaard is perhaps not as obscure as several other actresses of the same time period, but this character weirded me out.

• Like 2