Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Enough June Allyson Already!!!!

June Allyson is a sweet, wonderful person and an underrated actress, and I for one am THRILLED to see more of her movies on TCM, including so many that aren't (and probably never will be) available on DVD. It would be a damn shame if TCM took your "suggestion" and deprived June's fans of the chance to see her in rare, obscure films.

I could start many threads about the actors, directors and movies *I'm* not crazy about, (for instance: Enough Alfred Hitchcock Already!!!) - but I think it would be rude and extremely self-absorbed to discourage TCM from airing someone's work just because *I* am not a fan. 'Cause I realize that there are many viewers out there who *are* interested. Sure, I'd like to see more balanced programming sometimes. But, after all, we can't watch TV all day and night anyway, so it's a *good* thing TCM runs stuff we don't want to watch.

I appreciate that you are a fan of hers and I wasn't suggesting that she be removed from the schedule entirely. She just seems to me to be on the TCM schedule a lot more than any other actress. I would love it if Bette Davis, Gene Tierney, Carole Lombard, Barbara Stanwyck, to name a few, were on nearly as much.

Know you were just kidding round, letting off steam.

Catharsis is good for the soul. ;-)

I enjoy June Allyson, but can only take her in doses.

Just saw The Girl in White today for the first time, which is quite a good film, but more for its tale, production and Arthur Kennedy than for Allyson, though she was well cast for the part.

Can't help thinking of Fractured FairyTales from Rocky&Bullwinkle whenever I hear her wee rasp because that is what I grew up associating her voice with.

Same with Edward Everett Horton. :D

Thanks for elaborating... I'm glad you aren't suggesting TCM stop running her movies entirely, although I hope you can see how your initial post/subject line kind of implies that.

I'm sure we all have a list of actors we'd like to see more often on TCM - I do too, so I understand where you're coming from. But I feel very protective of June, who seems like such a nice lady. Personally I enjoy her performances and want to see more of them, not less. :)

Bette Davis is actually on a lot, although usually early in the morning. Keep an eye out for her films at 5am-ish.

Speaking of Bette Davis movies being on around 5-ish (in the am of course), I find that to be all too true. In fact, it seems that TCM runs their most interesting, if not their best faire, between midnight and 6:00 am. Too often, they run two of their best movies of the day during this time slot and as a result, I can only record one of them. Case in point: "Rage in Heaven" (1/02, 2:15am) Mr and Mrs Smith (1/02 3:45am) while they show drek like "Parenthood", "Sleepless in Seattle", "The Karate Kid", "The Bad News Bears" etc ONLY during prime time. Those movies can be seen almost anytime on several other channels. I would take the worst June Allyson movie over any of these "modern classics" I do not want to sound too negative about TCM as it is clearly the only broadcast source for the movies that most of us on this board want to see.

Geez...TCM actually showed "Sleepless in Seattle", "The Bad News Bears" and "The Karate Kid"? I hope TCM's program director is not the same person who ran American Movie Classics into the ground. The fact of the matter is that these so-called "modern classics" have already been played on other networks or are available on DVD. Half of what makes TCM great is that they'll show an old movie that slipped through the cracks and never made it to VHS/DVD; or something that your local Blockbuster doesn't carry, period. There has to be a way to express our dissatisfaction to TCM before it really does turn into AMC and our beloved channel morphs into a laughingstock.

i love june allyson. in fact i sent her a christmas card this past season and told her how i wished they put more of her movies onto dvd. but i must agree, they should show more carole lombard and definately more barbara stanwyck. they don't show any rita hayworth either.

1) Actually, it is inaccurate to say that TCM never shows any Rita Hayworth. They've shown YOU"LL NEVER GET RICH, YOU WERE NEVER LOVLIER, COVER GIRL, GILDA and LADY FROM SHANGHAI. Given that many of her films were from studios whose library TCM doesn't own, they'd have to lease them.

2) Stop bitching that the films you want to see aren't in the time period you'd like them to be. We all live in different time zones - so what is prime time in LA (9pm) would be midnight in NYC. I assume that if you're a classic film buff, you own and know how to record on a VCR. Most of the films I watch from TCM are ones I've recorded because they were on during the day or in the wee hours. Just appreciate the fact that the films you want to see are shown at all.

Constarkal: How I do agree with what U state > Far too often some of best & not too often seen films ARE either shown in morning afternoon or wee hours. That is why I say now and have said before: Whomever programs there now, need his head examined or actually, let go and replaced with someone who'd look through all titless there in inventory and bring forth a new group of films which we all may enjoy more. Diversity is sorely lacking there at tcm. And as for amc, I miss affable Bob Dorian, don't you?

> 2) Stop bitching that the films you want to see

> aren't in the time period you'd like them to be.

No. :)

> all live in different time zones - so what is prime

> time in LA (9pm) would be midnight in NYC.

Yes, and either way, it's easier to tune in at 9pm or midnight, than it is to tune in for a Bette Davis movie that's on at 2am or 5am.

Regardless of timezones, it's pretty obvious that TCM programs certain movies they most want to promote ('cause they were just released on DVD for instance) - in more of a "primetime" slot. I agree with constarkel - the most interesting, obscure, *not* on DVD movies, *do* tend to be scheduled for the middle of night/wee hours of the morning. I can only assume that's because TCM considers those movies less important - as their higher priority is to *sell* more of their DVDs, rather than to provide us with lots of rare movies we *can't* buy. Think about it. They're a *business*. It's in their best interest to schedule the not-on-DVD titles for the worst times of the day/night so that less people will be able to watch them, thus keeping the movies rare and more desirable and increasing their future DVD "value".

> I assume that if you're a classic film buff,

> you own and know how to record on a VCR.

How many VCRs do *you* have? If we program a VCR to record a movie while we're sleeping, well, we can only choose one. We won't be up to take the VHS tape out and put another tape in to record any other movies that night. Unless you're suggesting taping at 6hr or 8hr speed and letting the tape run continuously til it runs out... 'course then the movies will be barely watchable.

I've been going crazy, staying up til 2am one night, 6am another... when I can, of course... then catching a couple hours sleep and waking up for the next interesting movie at 8am...you get the idea. It's hell. My body's been protesting mightily and lately I've slept in very late and missed a bunch of cool movies ...I can't keep up this grueling schedule.

> Just appreciate the fact that the films you

> want to see are shown at all.

Yes sir!

Except...there's less room for the movies we want to see... the movies that are old and unavailable elsewhere... and so we should criticize TCM's current scheduling practices...

As elgatonyc mentioned, and I completely agree - What the hell are modern-day movies, like Sleepless In Seattle and Karate Kid, doing on TCM? You can see them on sooooo many other stations - shouldn't TCM be running movies you *can't* see elsewhere? Classic movies? Personally I wouldn't call anything post-1970 "classic". There's some wiggle-room there...but certainly nothing from the 90's or 2000's. We should all be more worried about TCM losing it's focus, forgetting it's purpose, compromising it's standards, going for the big bucks (you *know* that's why they're playing more new movies like Sleepless, to bring in younger viewers and more money)... and turning into every other crappy station around.

Very well said Crispycomment! My sentiments exactly.

Decotodd, you are absolutely correct! If we lived in Hawaii, all of this wee hours programming would be in primetime. I bet that you will never see a Hawaiian complaining about the schedule. You need to refresh your material. Your knee-jerk "get a vcr" or it many exciting variations such as "learn to program a vcr" or "there's a marvelous new invention called the vcr" are getting old and tiresome. I can just see you scanning the boards for programming time schedule complaints now: "Weee, somebody is complaining that they missed a good movie because it was on at 3:00am!!! I'll just nail 'em with one of my canned vcr comments...won't they think I'm clever!" You should appreciate that if nobody ever complained about the scheduling, you shills would have absolutely nothing to post.

I always thought of June Allyson as the girl next door type. I was surprised to find that she had an affair with Dean Martin just as Martin & Lewis were making it big in Hollywood, especially since she was married to Dick Powell at the time. She and Gloria DeHaven were in NY for publicity and shacked up with M&L at a hotel and it was almost a huge scandal. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I kind of like her better now.

She may be the only actress who went the longest with the same hairdo on and off screen.

Personally, a little bit of June Allyson is all I can take at one sitting.

I did like her very much when she was cast in musicals like GOOD NEWS or TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY. But otherwise, her acting always leaves me unimpressed.

She tried hard as Jo in LITTLE WOMEN but--while not a bad adaptation of the Alcott novel--somehow it didn't really work. Too artificial.

Neil

Regarding scheduling, all I'm saying is that I'm grateful TCM shows these films I want to see at all. Like the poster below, a lot of the rarities that are hard to see anywhere else that most interest me (late '20s - mid '30s) are shown in the wee hours. I also understand the need to program films which are going to appeal to a wider audience in prime time. Someone who might want to tune into SWING TIME may have little patience in sitting through a creaky, early talkie from '29. That period fascinates me as the studios were grappling with sound, but I don't expect everyone to enjoy that kind of movie. I personally have less than zero interest in the Japanese animation they're showing tonight, but I have so many films I've already recorded and not had a chance to watch that I don't begrudge the programming.

And yes, if I could control the programming, I would want more pre-Codes (and in prime time) but we're getting a nice assortment in the next few months. I am just so grateful we have this station at all that I get riled up when people complain about it. (now, the new schedule format on the site is another thing...)

I am grateful I now have a DVR system. All those fantastic pre codes and silents that TCM shows at 2am (and I don't care what timezone you are in - 2am is still 5am in NY!) can now be instantly recorded - no VCR required.

I have to agree with the "best movies being on at 2am and Bad News Bears on during primetime" complaints. It's ridiculous that TCM is showing movies that can be RENTED or seen on other Turner owned stations.

I'm watching TCM in the hopes of catching Carole Lombard or Ruth Chatterton, not Walter Matthau or Meg Ryan. It's frustrating to think how many new fans of pre codes could be made if they chose to show the films during a prime viewing period.