Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scandals and mysteries

Guest son, jery

Guest son, jery

What's the worst scandal to ever hit Hollywood? Drug overdoses of Elvis, Marilyn, Wallace Reid, etc. Fatty Arbuckle's rape trial? How about the unsolved mysteries? thelma Todd's murder. John Gilbert's first talkie: was it sabatoged by Louis Mayer? Marilyn's death. VAlentino's sudden death. William Desmond Taylor's unsolved murder. What do you think?

Guest son, jery

Right on, Tommie! I get so furious and frustrated when I read about a great old Swanson or Bow or Garbo film--only to discover it's been lost! These old stars had so much money. Why didn't they at least buy a print of every film they made? Sandy, hope you're enjoying "Swanson on Swanson." That woman had the most amazing, photographic memory! I loved the way she could describe a particular gown she wore in l928, along with the shoes and hats, etc.

Guest walker, ken

One point that has not been mentioned in the subject of film preservation,is that some of the old classic films were recycled by the film companies themselves in order to retreive the silver content in the silver nitrate compositions.This may have been a matter of economics to some of the smaller companies,but for the industries giants,it was such a waste of some fine films!! kw

• 4 weeks later...
Guest son, jery

Does anybody have a nomination for the worst death in Hollywood? We've got some goodies. Florence Lawrence swallowed ant-poison. Jean Seberg killed herself after having a mental breakdown and her body was found in the back of a car in Paris. Barbara Payton became a prostitute and derelict. Thelma Todd's murder has never been solved.

Guest son, jery

rita, you're so right! What a horrendous way for this once great movie legend to leave this world. I understand his killers were both out of prison after serving just a few years. They bragged ever afterwards about the murder. Another nightmarish tragedy was the frances farmer story. Talk about depressing!

• 2 months later...
Guest n, sandra

Frances Farmer - victim of the studio system. Apparently it was not too intelligent in the 1940's to have ideas and a mind of your own....much nicer and more convenient to be a vacuous card board cut out.