Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Showing Proper Respect To Omar Sharif

Palmerin

The moment OS died, one of the regular posters here predicted that most of his tribute would be dedicated to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, overlong warhorses that TCM always uses to kill off an entire evening; sure enough, that was indeed the case.

Which less overexposed Sharif vehicles would you have prefered instead? I myself would have liked the thriller NIGHT OF THE GENERALS, in which OS shares the screen with Peter O'Toole, Tom Courtenay, Donald Pleasence, Curd Jurgens, Philippe Noiret, and Joanna Pettet.

The moment OS died, one of the regular posters here predicted that most of his tribute would be dedicated to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and DOCTOR ZHIVAGO, overlong warhorses that TCM always uses to kill off an entire evening; sure enough, that was indeed the case.

Which less overexposed Sharif vehicles would you have prefered instead? I myself would have liked the thriller NIGHT OF THE GENERALS, in which OS shares the screen with Peter O'Toole, Tom Courtenay, Donald Pleasence, Curd Jurgens, Philippe Noiret, and Joanna Pettet.

That prediction sounds like something that I would have said. There were two films that he made in 1971 that I'd like to see again. There's THE LAST VALLEY with Michael Caine, written and directed by James Clavell. Also there's THE HORSEMEN with Jack Palance, directed by John Frankenheimer and written by Dalton Trumbo.

I haven't seen either of these since they were released.

• Like 1

Well, those two Lean epics were huge films in Sharif's career, one of them making him an international star (with a wonderful performance), so while it's predictable it's also understandable.

I like Night of the Generals but I think it's more of a showcase for O'Toole's performance than Sharif's. I haven't seen that much of Sharif's non-Lean work and what I did see didn't make much of an impression upon me. I would like to see his 1968 adaption of Mayerling again (wonderful musical accompaniment, utilizing a glorious selection from Khatchaturian's Spartacus ballet). The fact that actors like James Mason and Ava Gardner appear in support also adds to my interest in seeing this production again.

• Like 1