Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Feb. 2016 schedule

darkblue--Because "Logan's Run (1975) Won an Oscar for Best Visual Effects, and was nominated for Best Cinematography and Best Art Direction.  Pretty slim reasoning, as such--but this is TCM's nod to science fiction lovers, at a guess.  JMO.

Unbelievable what could win those prizes back then.

Bad, bad movie. Stinkeroo.

Thanks, film lover 293, for posting the February 2016 schedule.

Here are the weekly links since the monthly schedules tend to go in and out before the actual month:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2016-02-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2016-02-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2016-02-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2016-02-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2016-02-29

The last link goes through March 2 to finish out the 31 Days Of Oscar.

• Like 2

I can't believe TCM is running that amateurish piece of garbage 'Logan's Run' again.

What the hell, TCM? Why do you run that god-awful thing so bleeding often? And during Oscar month??

Ridiculous.

I didn't like Logan's Run either.  I kept wondering when it was going to end, only to find out I was less than an hour into it.  I also saw the film a year or so before I turned 30, and I remember thinking how I should start calling myself Kayla 2 or something.  Lol. 

I much preferred The Stepford Wives made a year earlier.

I'm so happy to see The Slipper and the Rose is going to air. I think it's a TCM premiere. I haven't seen that movie since I was a youngster. Very enjoyable. That was about the only new movie on the schedule for me.

Jenny Agutter.

'Nuff said.

I don't get that at all. She was also in 'An American Werewolf in Lomdon', right?

Totally average-looking "babe". Nothing special.

I know you two gents may not watch it, but JA absolutely shines in Call the Midwife. The years have been very kind (and not in a nip/tuck kind of way) and I've always had a soft spot in my heart for her. But Logan's Run was all about Richard Jordan and Michael York for me, lol.

• Like 2

darkblue--slimmest reasoning on the schedule, IMHO, is for a 1939 stinker--"Balalaika".  It stars Nelson Eddy & was nominated for Best Sound Oscar.  But I'll watch it again anyway--Eddy + Ilona Massey (nice soprano, couldn't act), in MGM's version of 1917's Russian Revolution + WW I.

I'm busy perusing the upcoming schedule... per usual, there are quite a few things that interest me:

Feb 1

Gigi (1958).  I know this film airs often, but I've never seen it.  I've only ever seen Leslie Caron in one film, An American in Paris, and I'd be interested to see how she is in other films.  I'm not a big fan of Maurice Chevalier, however, I am a fan of director Vincente Minnelli and this is one of his films I haven't seen.

Broadway Melody of 1936 (1936).  I recently saw my first Eleanor Powell film (Born to Dance) and I really enjoyed her dancing.  I know that she was considered one of the premiere dancers of the 1930s and 1940s and one of the few dancers considered to be Fred Astaire's equal--some people even thought she was capable of out-dancing Astaire.  I love me some great dancing movies, so I'm looking forward to seeing this one.  I'm also happy to see that TCM is showcasing Powell's films by releasing a 4 movie collection as part of their "Greatest Classic Legends" series.

*Side note: I wish that TCM would make a different Oscar documentary.  The one that they keep airing doesn't do anything for me.  I wish the Oscar documentary had been more comprehensive and shared more behind the scenes information instead of having so many of the actor anecdotes.

Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) I'm a big fan of William Holden and it's one of his films that I haven't seen.

Feb 2

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) A "newer" film noir that I haven't seen

The Sting (1973) I love this movie and haven't seen it for years.

Blossoms in the Dust (1941) I've been trying to see more Greer Garson and I haven't seen this film.

Feb 3

Five Star Final (1931) I'm a fan of Edward G. Robinson and this is one of his films I haven't seen-- and a pre code, no less! 

Feb 4

Topper Returns (1941) I liked the first "Topper" film with Cary Grant and Constance Bennett and it seems neither of them returned for this film.  However, Joan Blondell is in the film and I've recently discovered how much I like her and would like to see more of her films.

The Wild Bunch (1969) Another William Holden film I haven't seen.

Feb 5

The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) I like Claudette Colbert and this film is a pre-code.  Leonard Maltin says that the film is "pretty racy for it's time," if that's the case... count me in! 

Feb 6

Swing Shift (1984) I like the movies that Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell made together (I love Overboard) and I haven't seen this one.

Feb 7

Designing Woman (1957) I've seen this Lauren Bacall/Gregory Peck movie a couple times and I've really enjoyed it.  Bacall wears the most gorgeous costumes.  I've been trying to buy a copy of this film, but the only copy available is part of the TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Lauren Bacall" collection, and I already own the other three films.  It's got to be available on it's own somewhere.

Feb 10

Mannequin (1938); At first I thought this was the 1987 Mannequin (which was confusing as that movie definitely isn't Oscar-caliber) and was excited to record it; then I saw it starred Joan Crawford (not Kim Cattrall) and now I'm disappointed.  However, the synopsis sounded interesting enough, so I might give it a whirl. 

Feb 12

The Richest Girl in the World (1934) Sounds like quite the claim to make, but the film stars Joel McCrea and I've really been enjoying his films.  I'm not so much a fan of Miriam Hopkins, but she's in a couple of films I'm interested in, so maybe they'll change my mind. I also haven't seen Fay Wray in any film except King Kong, so it'd be interesting to see how she is sans giant ape. 

Feb 13

Steel Magnolias (1989) I've never seen this movie and I heard it's a real tearjerker.

The Story of Three Loves (1953) The cast sounds fantastic (James Mason, Agnes Moorehead, Kirk Douglas, Leslie Caron, Zsa Zsa Gabor) and I love movies on cruise ships (I don't know why).  

Feb 14

Love Affair (1939) The original version of An Affair to Remember.  I've never seen this film.  We'll see which version I prefer afterward.

Feb 15

The Gorgeous Hussy (1936) I just like the title.

George Washington Slept Here (1942) I watched this movie earlier this year during the Ann Sheridan marathon-- it was pretty funny I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Stagecoach (1939)  I've never seen this "road" film.

Feb 16

Black Legion (1936) A Humphrey Bogart movie I haven't seen. 

Feb 17

I Married a Witch (1942) I watched this Veronica Lake movie last year and didn't think much about it.  However, after encouragement from members on this board, I'm going to give it another try. 

Frenchman's Creek (1944) A Joan Fontaine movie I haven't seen.  This movie also co-stars Basil Rathbone!

A Damsel in Distress (1937) Fred Astaire? George Burns and Gracie Allen? Joan Fontaine? Sounds like an interesting cast of people to put in one film.

Feb 19

Juarez (1939) The remaining film of the 4 Bette Davis/Claude Rains films that I haven't seen.

The Flame and the Arrow (1950) A Burt Lancaster film I haven't seen

No Way Out (1950) A controversial sounding Richard Widmark film.  This film also features the film debuts of Sidney Poitier, Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis.

Seven Days in May (1964) Another Burt Lancaster film I haven't seen

Feb 22

Romance (1930) A Greta Garbo film I've never even heard of and a pre-code at that! 

Feb 23

Comrade X (1940) A Clark Gable film I haven't seen

Feb 24

Dangerous (1935) A Bette Davis film I haven't seen 

Feb 25

55 Days at Peking (1963) An Ava Gardner film I haven't seen

Feb 26

The Young in Heart (1938) I've been trying to see more Douglas Fairbanks, Jr and Paulette Goddard.  This film fits the bill on both accounts.

Feb 28

Blue Skies (1946) A Fred Astaire movie I haven't seen! 

Gold Diggers of 1937 (1936) Another Joan Blondell film that I haven't seen.  This also has Dick Powell-- I prefer Powell as the hardboiled detective.  His crooning doesn't do much for me. 

Mar 1

The Remains of the Day (1993) I believe that Holden and I were discussing this film on the January schedule and how we wished it were scheduled as part of the Emma Thompson spotlight.  Now we're in luck! 

---

This is what intrigues me right now, I'm sure I'll find more as I get closer to February. What I do like about the schedule is how the movies are scheduled.  It seems that TCM lumped movies with the same actors together as to make mini marathons of their films.  I like that. 

• Like 1

Topper Returns (1941) I liked the first "Topper" film with Cary Grant and Constance Bennett and it seems neither of them returned for this film.  However, Joan Blondell is in the film and I've recently discovered how much I like her and would like to see more of her films.

I am reasonably confident that you will like it. I find it to be great good fun. It begins slowly and then becomes a romp.

• Like 2

I'm kind of desperately looking around for ANYTHING I haven't seen before (and unlike a lot of posters, I'm not terribly choosy about the year). I've never seen THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE, though frankly, having seen at least a half dozen variants of the Cinderella story over the years, I'm not terribly interested. THE LONGEST DAY is a TCM rarity; I will probably check that out. Pretty sure YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is a TCM premiere, unless it aired on one of those Mel Brooks nights they've had in the last year or two. Although it's almost certainly in the TCM library, I had never even heard of THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE, starring James Cagney, Olivia De Havilland and Rita Hayworth before; I will definitely watch that one. And I can't remember SPARTACUS having been on TCM in years and years.

I find it a little amusing that every time I type TCM on the TCM website, the spellcheck underlines it in red, as if to inform me I should correct it or eliminate it ... 

sewhite2000--just a few suggestions, if you haven't already seen them;

The Green Goddess (1930) on Feb.4th--Good fun, not deadly dull.

The Broadway Melody (1929)--This copped a Best Film Oscar, when movies were learning to talk--If you can get a copy of "A Song in the Dark", by Richard Barrios, makes the film look less primitive & more innovative (at least, it did for me).

Black Legion (1936)--Thinly veiled argument against the Ku Klux Klan--good early Bogart film--good film period.

Z (1969)--Political thriller I haven't seen, but got raves upon its' release--am hoping it lives up to the reviews.

sewhite2000--just a few suggestions, if you haven't already seen them;

The Green Goddess (1930) on Feb.4th--Good fun, not deadly dull.

The Broadway Melody (1929)--This copped a Best Film Oscar, when movies were learning to talk--If you can get a copy of "A Song in the Dark", by Richard Barrios, makes the film look less primitive & more innovative (at least, it did for me).

Black Legion (1936)--Thinly veiled argument against the Ku Klux Klan--good early Bogart film--good film period.

Z (1969)--Political thriller I haven't seen, but got raves upon its' release--am hoping it lives up to the reviews.

Z is definitely a must see. One of the best films of that year.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...