Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Copyright for Traveltalks

Jlevy9

Hi everyone, 

I hope this is the right place to post this....does anyone know who holds the current copyrights for James Fitzpatrick's Traveltalks? Or if they are still under copyright? I'm particularly interested in the status of Modern Tokyo (1935), which I know was copyrighted by MGM in 1936. Any information would be much appreciated.  :)

Hi everyone, 

I hope this is the right place to post this....does anyone know who holds the current copyrights for James Fitzpatrick's Traveltalks? Or if they are still under copyright? I'm particularly interested in the status of Modern Tokyo (1935), which I know was copyrighted by MGM in 1936. Any information would be much appreciated.  :)

It doesn't matter where you post this stuff, but... lo and behold... the Traveltalks actually do have their own "special" thread if you want to post here too: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/23356-james-fitzpatrick-traveltalks-shorts/

MGM sold their older films (including the Traveltalks) to Ted Turner in 1985-86 and Time-Warner took over Turner the following decade, so they are essentially Warner properties. However the older films get, the more likely they lose their copyright status.

FitzPatrick retained copyright of his black and white shorties (pre-1934) including many of those released through MGM. Kino-Lorber released these on VHS in the 1990s, but curiously not on DVD. However many of these are easy to see online.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter where you post this stuff, but... lo and behold... the Traveltalks actually do have their own "special" thread if you want to post here too: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/23356-james-fitzpatrick-traveltalks-shorts/

MGM sold their older films (including the Traveltalks) to Ted Turner in 1985-86 and Time-Warner took over Turner the following decade, so they are essentially Warner properties. However the older films get, the more likely they lose their copyright status.

FitzPatrick retained copyright of his black and white shorties (pre-1934) including many of those released through MGM. Kino-Lorber released these on VHS in the 1990s, but curiously not on DVD. However many of these are easy to see online.

Often Kino-Lorber releases things that are in the public domain. Not saying that's the case with those b&w short films, but it's a distinct possibility. They may not have made their way to DVD if the VHS copies did not have strong sales.