Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name Dat flick!

Sepiatone

I can only mention a couple of scenes.

I know the movie was made in the '40's due to WWII and Nazis were the main gist of the story, and the only time I recall seeing ANY of it was nearly SIXTY years ago on TV.

ONE segment had a young man(actor unknown to me) wearing a leather jacket and he had curly blonde hair.  He was trying, in what looked like the middle of winter, to get across a river to Canada( I think he was some kind of Nazi infiltrator on the run) and crawled into the bottom of some old rowboat and curled up against the cold.  When I saw it that time almost 60 years ago, I thought(being a suburban Detroit dweller) that he was trying to cross the DETROIT river, as that was the only way ?I knew of at that time to get from the U.S. to Canada.  Now, I think it was probably the St. Lawrence.  Anyway....

The only OTHER scene I recall, was of (who I found out later) RAYMOND MASSEY walking towards some guy.  Massey held up a fist, pugnaciously flicked his nose with it and told the guy: 

"I ain't ASKING for those pants back.  I'm TAKIN' them!"

That was the last line of dialogue in the movie. 

Does ANYone have ANY idea of which movie I'm mentioning?  Like I hinted, the only thing I know about it is that it was about Nazis trying to get to Canada through the United States.

Sepiatone

I can only mention a couple of scenes.

I know the movie was made in the '40's due to WWII and Nazis were the main gist of the story, and the only time I recall seeing ANY of it was nearly SIXTY years ago on TV.

ONE segment had a young man(actor unknown to me) wearing a leather jacket and he had curly blonde hair.  He was trying, in what looked like the middle of winter, to get across a river to Canada( I think he was some kind of Nazi infiltrator on the run) and crawled into the bottom of some old rowboat and curled up against the cold.  When I saw it that time almost 60 years ago, I thought(being a suburban Detroit dweller) that he was trying to cross the DETROIT river, as that was the only way ?I knew of at that time to get from the U.S. to Canada.  Now, I think it was probably the St. Lawrence.  Anyway....

The only OTHER scene I recall, was of (who I found out later) RAYMOND MASSEY walking towards some guy.  Massey held up a fist, pugnaciously flicked his nose with it and told the guy: 

"I ain't ASKING for those pants back.  I'm TAKIN' them!"

That was the last line of dialogue in the movie. 

Does ANYone have ANY idea of which movie I'm mentioning?  Like I hinted, the only thing I know about it is that it was about Nazis trying to get to Canada through the United States.

Sepiatone

49th Parallel,   1941 with Leslie Howard,  Laurence Olivier and Raymond Massey.  

Well, as I was only about 5 years old at the time, which would make the movie 15 years old, it's no WONDER it looked SO OLD to me then!  :D

Thanks.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it or find it somewhere and give it a more attentive look.

I just knew  I was asking the right group of people!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

You're welcome, Sepia.

Oh, and btw, when you said this at the end of your OP...

...Like I hinted, the only thing I know about it is that it was about Nazis trying to get to Canada through the United States.

Sepiatone

...actually, it's the other way around. The Nazis are stuck in Canada and attempting to get to the then neutral U.S.

(...And btw again, the reason I said it was one of my favorite WWII films was that even though it is a WWII propaganda film, it's also in my view another example of British director Michael Powell's ability to raise a film from being merely such an example of that genre to something a little more "timeless" in scope, and such as I also feel about another of his WWII-themed "propaganda" films, THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP)

Edited by Dargo

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw it recently. The movie your looking for Is The One Who Got Away (1957) with Hardy Kruger.

Do due multiple escapes attempts while a POW in Britain he is sent to Canada where he makes his final escape jumping from a POW train near Smiths Falls Ontario . Making his way south he crosses the nearly frozen St. Lawrence River in a rowboat he found to the then neutral U.S.  

True Story.

Trailer