Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Perhaps because sometimes TCM likes to broaden our horizons and introduce to us films that we might not bother watch in the theatre but might be willing to give a look at via TCM???

Personally I think there might be a better forum for Miyazaki to be shown. Perhaps one of the arts or even cartoon channels would be more appropriate. While I can appreciate the wonderful artwork and developement that goes into the production, it seems a little out of context for such a fine station as TCM.

As the title "Turner Classic Movies" implies, Miyazaki's films Are classic and those that have not yet achieved that status surely will. It may be in another format and from another culture, but there's more to the 'classic' genre than old black and whites, which I'm also a major fan of. His films have great depth and value, not just for visual entertainment. They teach us about honor, valor and coax us to broaden our horizons when it comes to differences in life, culture and spiritual perceptions. It's not your run of the mill anime. I applaud TCM for celebrating Miyazaki's life and contribution to the industry and for stepping out of the box if just for a little while until other venues choose to do so.

I do not pay Turner CLASSIC Movies to "broaden my outlook" outside of the mutually agreed-upon parameters of the unviversally accepted definition of a "classic" movie. I am not a child who needs to be coaxed to try something new,I am an adult who PAYS Turner CLASSIC Movies in order to see CLASSIC movies. I resent being treated as if I don't know my own mind and tastes,when I PAY for a service called "Turner CLASSIC Movies". I don't mind when sub-categories of CLASSIC movies are shown that aren't my thing,because it still falls under the mututal agreement I have with TCM to show CLASSIC movies. It's when they start trying to "broaden my horizens" OUTSIDE of the scope of that agreement,that I have a problem. Again,we have an agreement,and since I am enough of an adult to keep MY end of the bargain by PAYING my bill for the agreed-upon CLASSIC movie service,TCM needs to treat me as an adult and allow me to know my own mind and keep THEIR end of the agreement.

Turner CLASSIC Movies has lately been trying to put a LOT of things under the umbrella of CLASSIC movie,when by all the formerly accepted definitions of "classic movie",it doesn't belong there. So Turner CLASSIC Movies showing something,doesn't automatically mean that it's a CLASSIC movie-not anymore. It might well be a classic of some sort,but it's NOT what Turner CLASSIC Movies purported to play,and used to accept,along with the rest of the world,as a "classic" movie. I didn't even mind the Bollywood programming,at least it could fall under the category of "classic" movies because of era,if nothing else.There has to be some kind of a limit,or else the boundaries of "classic" movie,as it has long been accepted,is meaningless,and they might as well show anything,as long as it's a "classic" of its category. But that won't make it a "classic" movie belonging on TCM,as the mutually agreed-upon definition was from the start. That's why they have to show that irritating disingenuous clip about "it doesn't have to old to be a classic"-because they KNOW that they're trying to force the definition to change.

I am an adult who PAYS Turner CLASSIC Movies in order to see CLASSIC movies. >>

Melanie,

You actually pay your cable company for TCM. Your money does not directly go from your cable company to TCM.

True,but my point is still the same,and it's TCM that I'm concerned with,as they are the only reason that I even pay for cable-I couldn't care less about the other channels. I used to like The Disney Channel before they discontinued the Disney Vault,which was totally unnecesary,as they only showed it for a short period beginning in the wee hours-way past their targeted "tween" viewer's bedtimes. But when they pulled that,I took them out of my programmed channels.

Perhaps one of the arts or even cartoon channels would be more appropriate.>>

What little I have seen of Miyazaki's work, in terms of animation and story, is leaps and bounds ahead of anything the cartoon networks show. I can't imagine his work being showcased on Cartoon Network.

I applaud TCM for showing us international cinema. Not every classic is silent or black and white or made prior to 1950 or American made.

As for a TCM mandate of only showing us "classic" movies. I never knew TCM had a mandate other than to show us quality classic films (from all decades and all countries), uncut and commercial free.

What I consider "classic" others may not and what they consider "classic", I may not.

TCM tries to keep us all happy even though we all have different definitions of "classic"

I applaud TCM for showing us international cinema. Not every classic is silent or black and white or made prior to 1950 or American made.

I don't mind the international films at all,as long as SOMETHING-era they were produced,usually-keeps them in the category of "classic". I quite like many of them.

As for a TCM mandate of only showing us "classic" movies. I never knew TCM had a mandate other than to show us quality classic films (from all decades and all countries), uncut and commercial free.

What I consider "classic" others may not and what they consider "classic", I may not.

TCM tries to keep us all happy even though we all have different definitions of "classic"

I would think that there needs to be some sort of generally accepted standard of what makes a film,a "classic"-other than the arbitrary one of "SOMEone considers it a "classic"-because I'm sure that there are more than a few people out there who consider "Friday The 13th" or "Emmanuelle" or "Flashdance" ,"classics" of their genre or time-so why shouldn't TCM show those movies,in that case? There really do have be some boundaries,and at one time,there were some generally,fairly loose ones of what was a "classic" movie-but they're becoming SO ambiguous that before it's over,it'll just be that "SOMEone considers it a 'classic'".

There really do have be some boundaries,and at one time,there were some generally,fairly loose ones of what was a "classic" movie-but they're becoming SO ambiguous that before it's over,it'll just be that "SOMEone considers it a 'classic'". >>

Melanie,

The term classic means many things to many people and TCM provides the big tent in which we can all, at some time during the broadcast day, find something we enjoy. Should TCM narrow its focus to only show "classic" movies made before 1959? How do you define "classic". Too narrow a definition leaves out many great thrillers, film noirs, b movies, low budget gower gulch productions, etc and the audiences that enjoy them. The same holds true for too wide a definition runs the risk of alienating the core audience that TCM has.

There has to be a middle ground and TCM is trying to walk that middle ground. They have said, as recently as last week, that they are not going the way of AMC but they are trying to provide films that appeal to everyone in the tent. Some folks love the Young Composers festival and some don't. Some love the documentaries and some don't. Occasionally there is a Star of the month that won't appeal to everybody. What do you do? The Miyazaki festival is only a month long. There will be folks who watch it, there will be folks who have never watched TCM before and because of this festival will get a better idea of what TCM is about. And there will be those that don't like it. Do you not run something because of offending someone who's definition of classic doesn't include Miyazaki or do you run the films because, though it was made post 1959, the animation, the stories and the character are timeless and classic?

Where do you draw the line and who makes the decision for all of us of which movies deserve to be called classic?

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

Well, I for one am tired of the Miyazaki festval and would be fine if I didn't see another (especially after last night's Princess). On the other hand I am really unhappy that the Kay Francis film festival was held starting at 3:00 AM (three o'clock in the morning!!!)-now, that is not the way to pay tribute to Kay in LOS ANGELES!

Please, please, please re-show these films at a decent hour!!

Kay Francis Fan in L.A.

Philip Pacheco

pathpost@yahoo.com

Where do you draw the line and who makes the decision for all of us of which movies deserve to be called classic?

In that case,since there's no one(not the programming managers,not the viewers,no one)in whom we can agree to give the authority to set the limits,and since it would be unfair to SOMEone in the world to even set any,let's not bother calling it Turner Classic Movies-it can just be The Turner Movie Channel,because everything ever filmed is a classic to someone somewhere. Actually,this concept just fits right in with the way everything is done nowadays anyway. I can't wait until someone sues the Olympics as unfair to those who don't meet the standards,LOL.

I agree with Melanie...It's not that I don't like anime but, it is so out of Turner Classic Movie's usual programming. It would be almost like ESPN showing a chick flick to broaden their viewer's likes. I know many people who think "Sixteen Candles" is a classic movie or "Lord of the Rings". Both of them are great movies and are classics in their own right...but I don't think it's a Turner Classic Movie.

It was fantastic when TCM showed Akira Kurosawa's films, and now a whole month of Hao Miyazaki's animations, in original language! It's wonderful! It's marvelous! It's a brave decision and I think it deserve positive feedbacks.

Those who don't like this...seriously, they're only on once a week, and this month only, why be upset over it??

It's too bad that TCM isn't showing "Grave of Fireflies", I won't mind if I have to stay up to watch it, I miss it.

btw, does anyone else find the interviewer annoying in the discussions before showing the animations?

It is not out of context for "such a fine station as TCM." The fact that it is in fact a fine station proves that Miyazaki's films deserve to be highlighted. In a thread I made a few moments ago, I explained the fact that children and adults are being misled by the anime genre and it is most disconcerting. I can't count on my fingers and toes how many times parents have come to me, saying they can't understand what their children are into. This is where I often suggest Miyazaki's films and encourage parents to sit down and watch one of his films with their children. Miyazaki is not unlike Walt Dinsey, and I think older and younger generations have much to learn from the stories he tells.

As for other formats showcasing his work, it circumvents and in fact contradicts the caliber of his films. Parents watch TCM. Most adults do not watch Cartoon Network. Hayao Miyazaki's films are for families, and since the Disney Channel is falling apart to "tween-dom", it leaves very few standard cable stations that would pick up such a schedule. If you love TCM, you should be proud that your favorite station has the integrity to dedicate four nights in one month to keeping families together, and awakening imaginations of the young and old alike.

Well... I don't know if I'd count Princess Mononoke as family entertainment with all the severed limbs and lepers and so forth, but I completely agree with the sentiment otherwise.

There's really no other channel where the Ghibli films would get the kind of treatment they deserve. If they showed on the Cartoon Network or any of the other movie channels, we would never have the subtitled versions. Nearly all of them would be subject to content and time edits. Too much would have to be compromised.

Are they Classics? Probably not in the sense that Melanie is talking about. But they are very much loved and admired all over the world, on equal footing with any of the Disney movies. I really don't see the harm in TCM associating themselves with these films and doing such an absolutely marvelous job of presenting them.

I'll just say,that when I first signed on for Turner CLASSIC MOVIES,I thought to myself,"Yeaaayyyy,Self,now you'll get to see all those Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and Clark Gable,etc,movies you've wanted to see all your life!" When I discovered that they also showed silents,and even later became aware of even more classic actors and actresses and movies,I was in TV heaven.

I knew even then that would be times when I'd turn to my own(now widely expanded,since discovering other classic era movies)little film library because I wouldn't care for some of the classic movie selections. That was expected,of course I wouldn't like every single classic movie ever made.

But when I told myself that there would days like that,I NEVER dreamed that I would forego watching because Turner CLASSIC MOVIES was playing ANIME!! And the point is NOT how good it may be,it's that it's ANIME,on a CLASSIC MOVIE channel!