Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
allclassic

Miyazaki Anime

C'mon Fred, do you want to make the kids cry? That's a good point. I wonder why the anime got the VIP treatment over Montgomery. Why not any other day of the week when the line up is more mundane?

The Montgomery films being shown may be in the TCM library and thus more readily available for airing or if they are renting the titles, they may be able to shift the dates around a little easier.

The Miyazaki films may have been rented with certain limitations on the contract or may have been much more difficult to get for broadcasting at another time.

That would explain things. Or it could be an old Yakuza trick.

Fred, you're the conspiracy investigator, do you think there's a Yakuza conspiracy here? Perhaps Winters was bumped off to disrupt programming in order to make the American Montgomery look less important than a Japanese filmmaker.

?Fred, you're the conspiracy investigator, do you think there's a Yakuza conspiracy here??

There is definitely a ?Bringing up Baby? conspiracy at TCM. They are going to show it again tomorrow.

I think that they're reading my posts and everytime I say I don't like something,they play it more(Bringing Up Baby,Shirley Mclaine,anime),and everytime I say I DO like something(the Robert Montgomery star of the month movies),they bump it.It's a theory! It's a conspiracy! It's a conspiracy theory! I better go watch some anime so I can find my inner child and be at peace with all the universe! Waaahhhhh!

Melanie, you're just going to have to button it, you're ruining the TCM programming for us all. From now on just say the opposite of what you think and how you feel about movies so we can see our Montgomery nights unmolested. How could you?

OK I will admit that I am new to this message board. I will also admit that I am a lover of all things anime (Just look at the anime list on my homepage). I will also admit that I have been watching classic movies on TCM and AMC for years. I love films like It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th St. done without comercial breaks around Christmas time. I can watch The Wizard of OZ, Willy Wonka, Dr. Doolittle, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Hundreds of times, and probably have. These all fall in my designation as Classic films for the entire family. And don't any of you try and tell me you haven't watched them! I also watch other classics, the type less common, things like Imitation of Life. Gentlemans Agreement, Patch of Blue, Harvey, Auntie Mame, or Look Who's Coming to Dinner. All of these films because of the moral and anti-bigot nature of them. I also love musicals. Meet me in St. Louis, Singing in the Rain, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music. These are films that I can never see enough times.

So when I see this bashing of Miyazaki's films and the works from Studio Ghibli, I really get angry. I agree that TCM may be running these because of something going on behind the scenes It is common knowledge that Pixar and Disney are talking partnership, and that Disney bought the rights to dub all of the Ghibli films. So it is quite possible that Disney is pushing this a bit. I don't know for sure, and I really don't care. Disney has lost a lot of respect from me after they closed down their 2-D animation studio and let all of their animators go. That is right. No more 2-d Features from Disney. All of their stuff is going to be like Chicken Little from now on. Or else be DTV sequals like Bambi 2 or Cinderella 2, or any of the other sequals that have been released in the last few years. None of them done in the US. So who is doing CLASSIC 2-D hand drawn cell animation? Why Studio Ghibli in Japan. In fact they just released a film 2 years ago called Howl's Moving Castle. It was the largest grossing film in Japanese history. It is estimated that 1 in every 5 people in Japan saw it at the theater. It played here in the states last year. Yeah, it came out the same week as Shark Boy & Lava Girl. Shark Boy & Lava Girl played at the nice stadium seated Dolby surround theater here in town. Howl's Moving Castle played at the run down old converted church near the University where they play the film from the Cannes film festival and Rocky Horror Picture Show with audience participation. I wanted to cry. It was even dubbed in English by Disney. This sort of appreciation of animation is why this thread exists. I have seen a lot of people say things about getting a channel for anime and watching this stuff there. Actually there is a channel for anime It is only available in New York and some parts of California. It is also part of the Pay Per View package on Comcast cable. The Anime Network. They show maybe 5% of the anime released in Japan in the last year, and that they show over and over and over. There are spots for anime. The Stars Action Channel has anime on Friday night at Midnight. G4 has anime sometimes. Cartoon Network plays a few of the biggies on Tuesday, Wednesday, & Saturday nights, at 12:30am Best time for people who work at 5:00am the next day or have to go to school. Yes, we in America love our anime. Hey wait a minute. What are all of these Saturday morning Cartoons. Mew Mew Power, Magical Do-Re-Mi, Shaman King, Digimon, Beyblade, Sonic X, One Piece, IGPX, Pokemon, Yugi-Oh. These are all anime. In fact there are more of them than the ones that aren't. Wonder why that is?

There are a lot of really good animated features out there. Not all of them are Japanese. Films like Cats Don't Dance, Iron Giant, Rock & Rule, and Animalimpics. I bet most of you haven't even heard of these films. Cats Don't Dance was released in 1997 by Turner Feature Animation. Natolie Cole sang in it and Gene Kelley helped with the coreography. It was in the theaters for 1 week. Subway sandwiches did toys for it. Nothing else was heard about it for years when the DVD was finally released in 2002. It was a winner of multiple Annie Awards (The equivalent of the Acadamy Awards for animation) Iron Giant was almost as bad. It got a bit more publicity. Rock & Rule was just released to DVD last year It aired in 1983! Featured Music by Debbie Harry, Cheap Trick & Iggy Pop and was done by Nelvana the same company that brought us the Care Bears. As for Animalympics, this is a rare gem that is almost impossible to get ahold of. For the few that have seen it, all we can say is why? It is a GREAT film.

Is anime for kids? Well I wouldn't let young children watch some of it. What they do allow here in the States is hacked to death. Crud they even edited Sonic X. They changed the names of all of the characters in Tokyo Mew Mew and changed the title to Mew Mew Power. They also edited out most of the magical girl transformation scenes. I suppose I can understand that one. There is a whole class of people who are anime purists. They despise what Fox & CN have done to anime here in the States. Why did they hack it all up? Because it wasn't suitable for young viewers. There are entire episodes of Yugi-Oh that will never air in the States. Want to know why? People die in anime. Yep. Just look at some of the boards for Full Metal Alchemist (Currently Playing on Cartoon Network) They killed a main character. Anime can be downright dark. Also it can be extremely graphic. Does anyone remember a show that aired in the States a few years back called Monster Rancher? A great anime. Of course everyone died in the end. I think American families where so upset about that that the show was immediately cancelled and the DVD releases stopped at disc 4. That wasn't even a 1/3 of the way through the series. Getting ahold of the entire series of Monster Rancher in English? Can't be done. Good luck.

So why all the hype about Miyazaki's works? Simple, Miyazaki san is the Disney of Japan. No one else comes close. And the films that are being shown? Well My Neibor Totoro (the Disney Dubbed version with Japanese audio available) and Whisper of the Heart won't even be released in the US until March. Yep we all got to see them 2 months before they were available in DVD at the stores, and they never played in the theaters here. Most of the other films shown have only been available in DVD for about a year now. None of these shows ever, and I do mean EVER, show on any channel. I think Castle in the Sky (Laputa) played on the Disney Channel once. I know Kiki's Delivery Service has. Princess Mononoke may have played on a few different stations at some time. Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, Naussica, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday. These have to my knowledge NEVER EVER PLAYED ON AMERICAN TV BEFORE. And you complained about this? They all played commercial free un-edited in both English & Japanese with subtitles. I was so happy I was dancing a jig in the kitchen. I get to see Whisper of the Heart, the movie The Cat Returns is based on, Un-edited and in English. I couldn't wait to see how they were going to handle the Country Road Japanese translation scene. They got Olivia Newton John to sing the opening credits! Oh Yeah! I'm so happy. Cool!

This 42 year old anime otaku wishes to thank TCM. I would love to see Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Cat's Don't Dance, Iron Giant, Rock & Rule, and Animalympics air on your channel some day. These films all have the right to the name Classics They are all pieces of Classic Animation.

I'm curious as to why one would think TCM isn't the place for Miazaki films.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those people who thinks there haven't been many quality films made since 1965, and that there haven't been any "real" stars since Grant, Stewart, Hepburn, etc.

But where else could we see animated films of this quality? Have you actually LOOKED at them? If so, you couldn't help being amazed at the beauty and detail of the artwork, especially in "Spirited Away". Beginning with the foliage and shadow work of the trees along the dirt road at the beginning of the film, the use of light and shadow when we see the boat that brings the spirits across the river to the bath house.... and when Sen runs through the garden after her first visit to "see" her parents, well, I wished I could slow the film so I could get a good look at the incredible detail of the azaleas. Even though she was running, the artistry was so evident it boggled my mind. I'm not a fan of the Japanese Anime genre in general, but I became a Miazaki fan when I saw this film on TCM.

Granted, the Cartoon Network sometimes airs his films, but I can't watch them, as they show 10 minutes of film, 10 minutes of commercials.

I appreciate TCM showing these lovely films, especially commercial free. I'm not advocating them showing them on a regular basis, but every Thursday night for a month was a special treat. I hope they do it again.

Shelly