Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quasi Denouements

CaveGirl

No, this is not Quasmodo's whole name.

I'm talking about films which appear to end, but actually do not tie up loose strands of the plot at the supposed final shot.

The most famous to me is Antonioni's "L'Avventura" in which people just go off wandering around and even one of the ostensible main characters disappears early on, and nothing really is resolved ever.

Instead of putting "Fin" at the end, I would have put "Sans Fin" which is also a great screen name for obvious purposes.

Since I like uncertainty and myopic meanings which are a lot like real life, I like films with no discernible resolution though I understand why such frustrates many folks. I'd like to see more films of this nature, so name some of the ones that have entertained you over the years, s'il vous plait.

• Like 2

I feel that: Сны/Sny/Dreams (1993) leaves major question unanswered. It is of Nineteenth Century countess who dreams she is Twentieth Century canteen worker. There are points which show connection to the future is real but nature of how/why it occurred is not explained.

It is available in Mosfilm channel on YouTube at:

http://youtu.be/Znnr111WFME

Subtitles are available by using: Closed Captioning.

Instead of putting "Fin" at the end, I would have put "Sans Fin" which is also a great screen name for obvious purposes.

I like it even although that was not source of meaning I wished to express. ;)

John Huston's THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN has the surviving elephant crusading protagonist and his remaining followers walking off into the African wilderness . . . to where exactly, and for what purpose? A completely uncertain future. A vague ending.

Considering the problems of survival with the African elephant today, he obviously didn't do enough.

• Like 2

John Huston's THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN has the surviving elephant crusading protagonist and his remaining followers walking off into the African wilderness . . . to where exactly, and for what purpose? A completely uncertain future. A vague ending.

Considering the problems of survival with the African elephant today, he obviously didn't do enough.

That's the Errol Flynn film right? I saw it once and never felt inclined to so again but maybe I'll give it a chance. Thanks, Tom!

I feel that: Сны/Sny/Dreams (1993) leaves major question unanswered. It is of Nineteenth Century countess who dreams she is Twentieth Century canteen worker. There are points which show connection to the future is real but nature of how/why it occurred is not explained.

It is available in Mosfilm channel on YouTube at:

http://youtu.be/Znnr111WFME

Subtitles are available by using: Closed Captioning.

I like it even although that was not source of meaning I wished to express. ;)

Ooooh, thanks Sans Fin! I just did some research online and your film sounds so fab and right down my alley. The description for some reason reminds me a bit of the film by Werner Herzog called "Heart of Glass" i which he supposedly hypnotized members of the cast. I don't mean they have similar plotlines but just that the film in general is very unique. Most sincere appreciation!

That's the Errol Flynn film right? I saw it once and never felt inclined to so again but maybe I'll give it a chance. Thanks, Tom!

The film might be a bit of a challenge to find, though there is, I believe, a limited Blu Ray edition of it in existence. It might be available through downstreaming at some sites.

Roots of Heaven is generally chalked up as one of Huston's failures (it was Flynn's second last film, playing a souse for the third film in a row). I saw it recently again and found it interesting, though far from the profound film that it may have been intended to be. Trevor Howard is excellent in the role of Morel, the elephant conservationist fighting a losing battle against poachers and government indifference to the plight of the animal. And Juliette Greco is excellent, too, as a disillusioned survivor who bonds with the idealist.

I can't think of any of other film that has dealt with the extinction of the elephant, certainly none before this film. In that respect, Roots of Heaven has a certain pertinence today in its subject matter, at least.

• Like 2

Here's one that might be a prime example of your thread's premise here, CG...

file_529080_graduate2.jpg

What lies ahead, relationship-wise, for these two young people?

(...from just the look on the young man's face, it's never been clear to me if it'll be filled with happiness or regret)

• Like 2

Ooooh, thanks Sans Fin! I just did some research online and your film sounds so fab and right down my alley. 

I feel it is wonderful movie with excellent balance of humor, drama and surrealism. I must say despite this that I fear that few here will appreciate it in full because it is so very much of its culture. It pivots on dichotomy of old and new and most people in West have superficial only understanding of it. It is for that reason that I can not give whole-hearted recommendation. I fear that you may be disappointed.

Here's one that might be a prime example of your thread's premise here, CG...

file_529080_graduate2.jpg

What lies ahead, relationship-wise, for these two young people?

(...from just the look on the young man's face, it's never been clear to me if it'll be filled with happiness or regret)

Oh, he is most happy. I remember being immediately aware of that straight ahead look, strange under the circumstances ... but it somehow works with this character who is portrayed as an awkward off-beat type. She's looking at him a little strangely, like why don't you look at me? Does she wish she married the other guy now? Not a chance.

• Like 1

Oh, he is most happy. I remember being immediately aware of that straight ahead look, strange under the circumstances ... but it somehow works with this character who is portrayed as an awkward off-beat type. She's looking at him a little strangely, like why don't you look at me? Does she wish she married the other guy now? Not a chance.

While she is glad she didn't marry that other guy I have always assumed she wasn't going to run off to Vegas and marry Ben either.   Unlike films from the 30s' - 50s it wasn't necessary for a women to get married in order for her to be fulfilled.  

"Ride the Whirlwind"--(1967)--Enigmatic Western.

"Reflections in a Golden Eye"--(1967)--Six main characters--Two die--Two drop from the storyline--why??--last two???--based on a Carson McCullers novella.

"The Unforgiven"--(1960)--The survivors??

"Ride the Whirlwind" and its twin, "The Shooting," are fascinating, existential westerns -- "Waiting for Godot" with sagebrush.

• Like 2

While she is glad she didn't marry that other guy I have always assumed she wasn't going to run off to Vegas and marry Ben either.   Unlike films from the 30s' - 50s it wasn't necessary for a women to get married in order for her to be fulfilled.  

You don't think she'll marry Ben ... after all that? You may be right abut the difference in the films of those respective eras, but this particular movie has me believing they are in for the long haul. To suggest otherwise IMHO is to opine outside the purview of the film.

You don't think she'll marry Ben ... after all that? You may be right abut the difference in the films of those respective eras, but this particular movie has me believing they are in for the long haul. To suggest otherwise IMHO is to opine outside the purview of the film.

Isn't one of the themes of the movie that the younger generation doesn't have to, per se,  follow the social conventions of their parents?   That there is phoniness behind aspects of those conventions? e.g.  getting a degree and joining a corporations to make it big  (plastics!),  or sweethearts getting married and living happily ever after (like Mr. and Mrs. Robinson) etc....

To me the suggestion that Ben and Elaine are going to get married,  Ben is going to go and get that corporate job and Elaine is going to learn to cook and make babies is outside the purview of the film.

C'mon guys!

Don't you remember that in the last shot of the film, Elaine and Ben are shown separated by the back window pane in the vehicle which is demarcated into two segments.

A definite symbol of them being split up into two and not unified as a one, in marriage, if I ever saw one.

Get with the subtext program!

Shane (1953): Has Shane been fatally wounded as he rides off into the sunset?

Once Upon a Time in America(1984): In the full version the film ends on a freeze frame of Noodles (Robert DeNiro) in an opium den after he sees the bodies of his friends, calling into question if all the scenes of the older Noodles an opium dream.

Limbo (1999): John Sayles story lives up to its title. Nothing more should be said 

C'mon guys!

Don't you remember that in the last shot of the film, Elaine and Ben are shown separated by the back window pane in the vehicle which is demarcated into two segments.

A definite symbol of them being split up into two and not unified as a one, in marriage, if I ever saw one.

Get with the subtext program!

I'm with you on this one.   It is Laffite that needs convincing.