Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My personal feeling is that special salutes should be shown at times when the most people can see them all, especially since some of the films in each salute are usually very rare are rarely shown.

For example, I recorded CALL HER SAVAGE and THE BIG PARTY, both rare Clara Bow sound films, when TCM saluted her about 12 years ago. I don't think TCM has shown those two films since then. Luckily I had a DVD recorder back then that worked properly.

I also had a recorder that worked when TCM showed TRIUMPH OF THE WILL and OLYMPIA, and THE WIDOW FROM CHICAGO, and other very rare old films that TCM has never shown again. But we get NORTH BY NORTHWEST 70 times in 10 years. Why would TCM want to show this film so many times in prime time? And then show the rare "Golden Age" films at 2 AM when we are all asleep, then start making it difficult for some people to record them to DVD? Doesn't make much sense to me.

I agree that these rare films should be shown at times when most people can view them.

Fred, I remember when TCM ran their salute to Clara Bow. It was in 1999. They first showed the documentary "Discovering The It Girl"

which was making its premiere broadcast. Then they showed "Down To The Sea In Ships", "It" and "The Wild Party" (the one and only time TCM ever showed "The Wild Party"). They didn't show "Call Her Savage". In fact TCM didn't show "Call Her Savage" until about a year ago. I know because I had been waiting for TCM to show it since I first got the station in 1995. Instead of running this awesome pre code talkie of Clara's in prime time they ran it at 2:45am. There wasn't even an intro by Robert Osborne or Ben. What a shame!

• Like 1

Unfortunately for me I set my DVD timer recording for 2:45am for "The Black Pirate". This was the starting time stated in the "Now Playing" magazine. However it didn't start till 3am so I didn't get the entire movie.

In the future I need to remember to check the daily schedule before ever using my timer recording.

Did anyone else make this mistake?

Unfortunately for me I set my DVD timer recording for 2:45am for "The Black Pirate". This was the starting time stated in the "Now Playing" magazine. However it didn't start till 3am so I didn't get the entire movie.

In the future I need to remember to check the daily schedule before ever using my timer recording.

Did anyone else make this mistake?

It seemed that this error came about because one of the films, The Half-Breed, ran quite a bit longer than originally listed. It said it was 50 minutes long, but ran over 70, I think. That upset the programming until they adjusted the air times right in the middle of prime time. The mistake was hardly on your part.

Also, the outro to Zorro was a re-run of the intro. Programmers were tired that day.

• Like 1

It seemed that this error came about because one of the films, The Half-Breed, ran quite a bit longer than originally listed. It said it was 50 minutes long, but ran over 70, I think.

One of the curses of the TCM schedule guide not being accurate. I set my DVD recorder for Half breed and lost the last ten minutes because I followed the guide's times listed.

One of the curses of the TCM schedule guide not being accurate. I set my DVD recorder for Half breed and lost the last ten minutes because I followed the guide's times listed.

It was that way on the online schedule, too. It said it was 70-something minutes long on the cable (which is frequently wrong,) but was in a one hour time slot. I'd guess they didn't even notice the mistake until they watched it live.

(Edit: Just noticed you said TCM schedule guide, not necessarily Now Playing Guide. I don't get the NPG.)

I always check the runtime on the Month Schedule. 

That's what I did, and it was wrong, thus my losing out on the last ten minutes of Half Breed in my recording.

I've messed up on my timer in the past myself, but not this time. I wonder how many others also lost out on the ending of this film because of the TCM monthy schedule listings.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand.  The Half-Breed is listed as starting at 6 P. M. Pacific, and running seventy-two minutes, or an hour and twelve minutes.  If there is a conflict with the listed start times, that should clue you in to making sure the times you set are correct.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand.  The Half-Breed is listed as starting at 6 P. M. Pacific, and running seventy-two minutes, or an hour and twelve minutes.  If there is a conflict with the listed start times, that should clue you in to making sure the times you set are correct.

These are the TCM November Canadian schedule (EST) listings that I went by, the reason why I got burned. Half Breed ended about 10:12pm. Normally, to be fair, these listings are accurate around 95% of the time.

9:00 PM

Half-Breed, The (1916)

A Western outsider tries to help a woman on the run after killing her faithless lover

DirAllan Dwan CastDouglas Fairbanks , Alma Reuben , Sam De Grasse .

BW-50 mins,

10:00 PM

Mark of Zorro, The (1920)

In this silent film, a Mexican Robin Hood harasses corrupt Spanish invaders.

DirFred Niblo CastDouglas Fairbanks , Noah Beery , Charles Hill Mailes .

BW-107 mins,

Now I understand.  You got the wrong run time for the movie, along with the wrong air times.  To tell you the truth, that's the only time I've ever seen a wrong run time.  Maybe that's a danger in the Canadian Month Schedule.  There may have been wrong runtimes in the U. S. scheds, but they were either for movies I wasn't interested in recording, or are so rare I forgot they happened.