Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

Jake's Trump Thread -- Make America Great Again

Yes. Poor Mrs. Ziffel didnt make it till the end of the show. I forget her name. (she appeared in a lot of I Love Lucy episodes in small roles) It would be difficult to capture the show's zaniness esp. since it would have to have a movie story arc. But I think it could be done.

I had forgotten that. At least Fred stayed down on the farm.

The last time I watched it was when it was on early in the mornings

on TVLand about seven or eight years ago. It still worked. Poor,

reasonable Oliver surrounded by all those nuts. It looks like they

are going to do it, whether it will work or not is a whole other thing.

At least they can't mess up the theme song (I hope).

No, it was formed by ex-Confederate soldiers. Of course by that time

most southerners were Democrats, but the Klan was not an official

offspring of the Democratic party, though I'm sure in some cases

the Klan worked hand in glove with local and state Democratic

office holders. I recall reading that the folks at the top of the Klan

hierarchy made a lot of money from large markups in robes and

other Klan regalia and assorted fees. Turning racism into money.

There were no local Democratic office holders in the South at the time.  One reason why the Klan was formed.  The Radical Republicans removed all Southern Democrats from office and permitted only Republicans (most from the North) to hold office.

The largest Klan membership between WW  I and WW  II was in Ohio and membership was widespread througout the nation.

Of course this was not the same Klan as that of the 1950's through today, which supports Donald Trump.

I was just about to ask about the History of the Jim Crow law, maybe you can fill me in?

Check out Wikipedia, but basically passed by Southern governments to separate the races.  Pretty much began after 1876 when the white Southerners, as Democrats, re-took control of Southern governments from the Northern Radical Republicans.  Separate schools, accomodations, water fountains, restrooms, residential areas, everything.  

Technically eliminated by the Brown v Board of Education decision in 1954, but pretty much continued to the late 60's and even into today in some respects.

While the laws were enacted by Democrats, that's because there were no Republicans in the South in government.  The reverse of today.

The people who supported Jim Crow type laws, discrimination, segregation, etc. migrated to the Republican Party in the South beginning with Goldwater in 1964.  Nixon and Reagan both capitalized upon that.

As an aside, the local museum asked me to make a model of the train that ran from our town to the big city and main lines during first half of 20th century.  I asked board if they wanted politically correct or historically correct and they chose the later. Therefore I had to create a Jim Crow passenger car.  Seating in front for "colored" and seating in back for whites, divided by a small space.  Also had separate rest rooms in each end.

It will be worse than that.  They will suffer wage cuts, if not layoffs. Their investments will decrease 25+% and pensions will be eliminated.  Medical costs, including Medicare, will increase.  VA funding will decrease as demand for services increases.  Their children will not be able to go to college at all as costs will increase and loans dry up.  There will be no jobs for them regardless as industry & business collapses due to Trump policies. Ultimately their children and their parents will both end up living with them.

The Bush Great Recession will pale by comparison, but the GOPers will find some way to blame it on Obama and Clinton.

I don't know if it will be quite that horrible. As hard as it might be to

believe, I think cooler heads will prevail somewhere in Congress

and maybe even among Trump's people. At least enough to not

put the totally idiotic economic ideas into action. But I could see

another Bush like Great Recession come along. It would be better

if come November we don't even have to contemplate the question.

I had forgotten that. At least Fred stayed down on the farm.

The last time I watched it was when it was on early in the mornings

on TVLand about seven or eight years ago. It still worked. Poor,

reasonable Oliver surrounded by all those nuts. It looks like they

are going to do it, whether it will work or not is a whole other thing.

At least they can't mess up the theme song (I hope).

Some channel is still running it during the daytime. I think it's MeTV? So they ARE making a movie version? I was just speculating. It will be hard to replace the cast members that's for sure....

I see a lot of spin in your answer.

I wasn't very good in history class but wasn't it a democratic controlled Supreme Court that passed the Dred Scott decision ?

Not sure, but you have to realize that the parties of then are no where near the parties of now.  There were also considerable numbers of people who still considered themselves Whigs or American Party members in the 1850's.

In 1860, there were four political parties:  Southern Democrat, Democrat (non-Southern), Republican and Constitutional Union. Lincoln acatually got less than 40% of the popular vote in a four man race. 

Basically, the Democratic Party of the 19th and early 20th centurys is the Republican Party of today based on membership and philosophy.  The current Democratic Party is much closer to Abraham Lincoln's Republican Party, which was created in 1854.

There were no local Democratic office holders in the South at the time.  One reason why the Klan was formed.  The Radical Republicans removed all Southern Democrats from office and permitted only Republicans (most from the North) to hold office.

The largest Klan membership between WW  I and WW  II was in Ohio and membership was widespread througout the nation.

Of course this was not the same Klan as that of the 1950's through today, which supports Donald Trump.

My error. It was when the Dems came back into office that they

were able to  assist the Klan as they saw fit. The Klan has had

a few revivals over they years. I believe they're giving it the

old college try again, but I doubt there is much of a future there.

If you haven't seen it, you should check out HBO's production of "All the Way," which stars Bryan Cranston as LBJ and focuses on the 36th president's attempts to pass civil rights legislation. The film is nominated for a 2015-2016 Primetime Emmy Award as Outstanding Limited Series or Movie. Cranston is nominated as Best Actor in a Limited Series or Movie.

cjbbrfyuuaeriqy.jpg?quality=80&w=635

Cranston as LBJ

Everyone should watch this.  It shows what a real, caring leader can accomplish.  Although, LBJ had his faults.

Some channel is still running it during the daytime. I think it's MeTV? So they ARE making a movie version? I was just speculating. It will be hard to replace the cast members that's for sure....

Could be. I have DirecTV and they don't offer any of the newer

classic TV channels. I just skimmed the linked article, but it sure

seems to be in the works. Of course in Hollywood you never really

know. I always laugh at the opening shot of Oliver bouncing happily

along on his tractor. Little does he know.

e58a7fd454fe86cb7fa9d91c8b93d3a0.jpg

As a Veteran receiving services from the VA I KNOW that Trump is not going to really do anything to help me or any other veteran. Saying it ain't doing it, especially for someone who intentionally avoided serving, much less in Vietnam.

As for the rest, Trump still has not said How he will do any of it or HOW he will pay for it.  Because he just doesn't know and actually doesn't care.

Heck, he SENT jobs overseas and still has not brought them back.  He is not self-funded; the GOP and other organizations are funding him.  We have the strongest military in the world.

Maybe my eyes are going, but except for the elephant

ears, Cranston looks a bit like Bob Woodward.

Could be. I have DirecTV and they don't offer any of the newer

classic TV channels. I just skimmed the linked article, but it sure

seems to be in the works. Of course in Hollywood you never really

know. I always laugh at the opening shot of Oliver bouncing happily

along on his tractor. Little does he know.

LOL. Yeah, it may be in "development" but that doesnt mean it'll see the light of day. Interesting to hear about though. Pretty sure MeTv runs it. At least they were earlier this year.

e58a7fd454fe86cb7fa9d91c8b93d3a0.jpg

Build the Wall. Keep 'em out. Round 'em up. Boot 'em out! Bad ones wipe 'em out!

Build the Wall-- The Berlin Wall

The Berlin Wall was a Communist Construction built to prevent democracy from spreading and to prevent the German people from free movement. Also it prevented other European people from free movement throughout Germany.

Both Presidents Kennedy and Reagan spoke against this wall and demanded its destruction.

80 people were killed trying to cross this wall.

Americans need to ask themselves if they want a Berlin Wall in the United States.

The one that says...We want ISIS eliminated not "contained".

I rather say ANNIHILATED. (sound more final)

annihilateverb [ T ] US /əˈnɑɪ·əˌleɪt/

to destroy completely, leavingnothing:

About the wall, just thinking it didn't work for them.

iStock_000052149090_Small.jpg

quote-fixed-fortifications-are-a-monumen

My Dad served as a Master Sergeant in the US Army during World War II under General Patton in the Battle of the Bulge. He always credited General Patton with the success of that battle and his own personal survival.

• Like 1

Build the Wall-- The Berlin Wall

Americans need to ask themselves if they want a Berlin Wall in the United States.

Bit of trivia, New York  had one during the 17th century, Wall Street  (where the name originated),  to keep out pirates and Native Americans  

castelloplanredraft.jpg

(Some might want it back to keep the financial greed separated from the rest of us). ;)

MICHELLE'S SPEECH WAS TRITE, TOO
July 20, 2016

When MSNBC signed off at 3 a.m. the first night of the Republican National Convention, they were still talking about Melania's speech.

For five solid hours, MSNBC had been obsessing over two paragraphs of Melania Trump's speech that were nearly identical to Michelle Obama's 2008 convention speech.

The similar passages were:

-- The only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams!

-- Your word is your bond!

-- May your tomorrows be brighter than your yesterdays!

-- From tiny acorns great oaks grow!

MSNBC covered the banal sayings as if Melania had been caught selling secrets to the Soviets. All night, commentators somberly intoned, It's essential that the campaign get out in front of this. Trump needs to apologize ... Now is the time for him to demonstrate crisis management skills -- and this IS a bona fide crisis.

Read more Ann Coulter >

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2016-07-20.html#read_more

audience-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

The plagiarism issue wouldn't have been so awful if it was just that. But for Melania to quote Michelle, when Donald has been saying those psycho things about Barack -- the birther, the body language stuff -- is what makes it really bad. And then the campaign lying until they came up with their latest lie, blaming that poor staffer. One can have an honest difference between candidates, but all that crap that Trump has been spouting about Obama is just psycho.

But the more serious stuff is that Trump doesn't want to be President, except in name only. He was willing to hand over the job to Kasich, so that Trump can be a sort of figure head. You Jake (or is it Nipkow) call him Emperor, but really he wants to be Queen like Elizabeth. Stately, formal duties, with no concerns about policy or domestic or foreign affairs.

And the Cruz speech tonight, what about that!  Cruz may be a creep and a demon, but he does exemplify what passes for "conservatism" these days, for those who espouse that loony right view. Trump is merely, to quote the great Judge Ginsburg, "a faker."

There should be a boost from any convention. I don't know if there'll be one from this convention!

• Like 1

MICHELLE'S SPEECH WAS TRITE, TOO

July 20, 2016

When MSNBC signed off at 3 a.m. the first night of the Republican National Convention, they were still talking about Melania's speech.

For five solid hours, MSNBC had been obsessing over two paragraphs of Melania Trump's speech that were nearly identical to Michelle Obama's 2008 convention speech.

The similar passages were:

-- 

-- Your word is your bond!

-- 

I hope Michelle  reminds her husband of that every day.  Perhaps Melania should had said...Don't make promises you can't keep!

Trumpus Maximus Americanus!

I think if tonight is any guide it's Trumpus Minimus.

OK we know about Cruz. But why did astronaut Eileen Collins omit the endorsement line, which was in her script? At least Cruz informed the Trump campaign two days ago, that he wasn't going to endorse. Ms. Collins had it in her script and didn't speak it!