Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Country for Old Men is coming

There are a lot of scenes that I really liked in No Country for Old Men.

SPOILER ALERT:

As far as emotional investment in a scene of suspense is concerned, quite possibly my favourite in the film is the one in which Josh Brolin, having figured out that a killer has a tracking device planted on him, sits on the edge of a bed, gun in hand, in a run down rented room, waiting for him to show up.

Rather than run any more, his "Okay, let's get it over with" attitude only had me squirming, "Josh, don't do it. This guy's not only nuts but he's smart, too."

Brolin, by the way, is wonderful in his part, and because the audience cares about what happens to him, the suspense in a scene like this is all the more spine tingling. Because you feel that anything can happen..

• Like 2

I remember thinking that Daniel Day Lewis' win for THERE WILL BE BLOOD was disappointing and unwarranted, as it seemed.a retread of his portrayal in GANGS.OF.NEW YORK. But at the moment I can't remember who was up against him,.or who I was hoping would win.

I'm going to watch if for nothing else than the "handcuff" scene.  Some years ago down here two cops with 40 years between them were killed, along with a rookie, when they handcuffed a man in front who had an unseen cuff key on a chain and used it to free himself, grab one veteran officer's gun and kill them. (he had just "accidently" shot a child, was acting sorry and the officers felt sympathy for him).  The young officer was killed later when he tried to stop him.  The man was later killed in a shootout that made the national news and all those video clip shows that were running ten years ago.  Stupidity happens to even the best at times.  

Fred C:  Had GWTW ended per your idea, we would have missed the most famous line in the book.  That "damn" helped brake down a lot of taboos on what could or could not be said on screen and made films more honest.  Of course, today it's gone the other way and every other word is unrepeatable. 

I agree, MissW. No Country For Old Men is a strong, gripping, at times, highly suspenseful drama, with perfect casting of all the lead roles. Javier Bardem, in particular, is unforgettable, as memorably frightening a screen presence as I have seen.

My only quibble with the film, perhaps, would be in regard to its final ten minutes, ending on a contemplative note which i find a bit of a disraction from the great drama that had preceded it.

But that still doesn't stop me from calling it a terrific film though those who dislike screen violence may be uncomfortable with sections of it. None of the vilolence, however, is gratuitous.

I dont care for the ending either and that a key character's death happens off camera. Other than that, I thought it's Oscar was well deserved. TCM has shown this before I think? I think during Oscar month.......

• Like 1

By the way, the reason why I wrote this topic title as "No Country for Old Men is coming " is because in my mind, there was a connection between the term "something" (whatever, whoever) coming, and the Angel of Death character, Anton Chigurh, who seems to be forever coming to get Llewelyn Moss. Or for that matter, coming to get anyone.

There's an inevitability to this person; no matter what you do, he'll come for you. You can run, but you can't hide, and all that.

Which is why I added the words "is coming" to the thread title. (seemed like a good idea at the time.)

Anyway, boys and girls, it's on tonight at 1:15. Get out your  quarters.

• Like 2

Angel of Death character, Anton Chigurh, who seems to be forever coming to get Llewelyn Moss. Or for that matter, coming to get anyone. There's an inevitability to this person; no matter what you do, he'll come for you. You can run, but you can't hide, and all that.

Just another Michael Myers except he sometimes likes to flip a coin first. I guess he thinks it makes him interesting. It doesn't.

I think it makes him scary.

Chigurh.jpg

Nothing a gun couldn't take care of.

But, oh yeah - the Coens thought we were too dumb to figure it out. They decided al we could do was try to talk to the monster. And talk they did. Lots of drawn-out, meandering philosophical entreaties and Tommy Lee soliloquies. Yawn.

Nothing a gun couldn't take care of.

But, oh yeah - the Coens thought we were too dumb to figure it out. They decided al we could do was try to talk to the monster. And talk they did. Lots of long, drawn-out, soliloquies and meandering philosophical entreaties. Yawn.

Wow, you're really unimpressed with No Country for Old Men, aren't you?

I watched the first half of it then had to quit.  I came back later and finished it up.  I don't think I will be seeing it again; it was too violent for me.

As with Traffic we saw there is no such thing as "victimless crime."  Everyone involved paid a price.  All Llewellyn had to do when he found the massacre was call the law and a dozen lives-including his own and his innocent wife's-would have been saved.  He proved the quote 'The love of money is the root of all evil". 

I loved Tommy Lee Jones's narration and how he played the Sheriff.  Can we find a thousand or so like him for real? You could see why he wanted to retire at his age but was Wendell ready to take over?  Don't think so. 

I know why Javier Bardem won his Oscar but he was so murder-happy that it got too intense for me and I had to watch the movie in segments.  I see what you all meant about the ending; we don't know what happened to him after the car wreck.  Also while killing Carla Jean made sense to him I was angry that Ed Tom didn't figure out what was happening and save her.   

This movie certainly didn't glamourize crime as did Scarface.  For that alone maybe it rated all its Oscars. 

• Like 2

As with Traffic we saw there is no such thing as "victimless crime."  Everyone involved paid a price.  All Llewellyn had to do when he found the massacre was call the law and a dozen lives-including his own and his innocent wife's-would have been saved.  He proved the quote 'The love of money is the root of all evil". 

Wouldn't have been much of a film then, would it?

Besides that, Llewellyn was a guy stuck in poverty who was willing to take a gamble (that most of us wouldn't take under those circumstances) when he saw a pot of gold, even if there were a pile of dead bodies around it. He didn't foresee the ramifications that it would have upon his wife at the time, thinking, if anything, that if he survived with the loot, she would benefit as well. Fool hardy? Sure he was, but still a gutsy character for whom the audience will be rooting. I liked Josh Brolin's crafty good old boy performance a lot.

• Like 2

Hey, I'm tellin' ya, if I stumbled upon a huge cache of cash, I'd take the money and run. Seriously. The only way I would report it to the police is if I somehow knew who it belonged to, and whoever it belonged to was more in need of it than I was.

But if I had all that information, it's unlikely I'd be stumbling upon it.

Honestly, (appropriate or perhaps inappropriate choice of word, there), take a look at the movie quote at the bottom of all my posts. I need dough, and plenty of it.

Same with all those other "found money" movies. Yup, the one who finds it and keeps it inevitably gets into trouble. But I am soooo sympathetic to succumbing to that temptation; you come across a pile of cash, you look around, and you make off with it.

No virtuous taking it to the authorities for me.

Hey, I'm tellin' ya, if I stumbled upon a huge cache of cash, I'd take the money and run. Seriously. The only way I would(report it to the police is if I somehow knew who it belonged to, and whoever it belonged to was more in need of it than I was.

But if I had all that information, it's unlikely I'd be stumbling upon it.

Honestly, (appropriate or perhaps inappropriate choice of word, there), take a look at the movie quote at the bottom of all my posts. I need dough, and plenty of it.

Same with all those other "found money" movies. Yup, the one who finds it and keeps it inevitably gets into trouble. But I am soooo sympathetic to succumbing to that temptation; you come across a pile of cash, you look around, and you make off with it.

No virtuous taking it to the authorities for me.

Yeh, but would you do it if you knew this guy would come looking for ya.

[media]http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/tomboy38/tomboy38079/21d56de6-e5c0-4f09-98f9-a602331e2e5b_zpsopl5vuqb.jpg[media]

Tom, your link took me nowhere. You'll have to spell it out for me, whatever point you're trying to make.

It's supposed to be a pix of Javier Bardem, MIssW, but no matter what I do today I can't get the photo to appear here. It's either me, modern technology or the Angel of Death himself messing me up today as I try in vain to make a photo point. Still, I've having a better day than if Bardem showed up in my home and asked me to call heads or tails on a quarter toss.

It's supposed to be a pix of Javier Bardem, MIssW, but no matter what I do today I can't get the photo to appear here. It's either me, modern technology or the Angel of Death himself messing me up today as I try in vain to make a photo point. Still, I've having a better day than if Bardem showed up in my home and asked me to call heads or tails on a quarter toss.

this the one?

21d56de6-e5c0-4f09-98f9-a602331e2e5b_zps

I love that Carla Jean refused to go along with the coin toss thing.

By the way, ever seen Kelly Macdonald in Gosford Park? I like this actress.

• Like 1

I love that Carla Jean refused to go along with the coin toss thing.

By the way, ever seen Kelly Macdonald in Gosford Park? I like this actress.

I've liked Kelly Macdonald since TRAINSPOTTING. GOSFORD PARK was a divisive film, but I enjoyed it immensely. Macdonald was also terrific in the HBO series "Boardwalk Empire".

I've liked Kelly Macdonald since TRAINSPOTTING. GOSFORD PARK was a divisive film, but I enjoyed it immensely. Macdonald was also terrific in the HBO series "Boardwalk Empire".

Whenever I'd watch 'Boardwalk Empire' (loved it!) I'd think "she's really a handsome woman" when Kelly was onscreen.

I so rarely associate that description with a woman that it's noteworthy to me that it came to mind so regularly. Handsomeness is a particular kind of beauty in a woman, and she's one of the very few I've ever genuinely thought had it.

• Like 1