Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm in the mood for...

Hey

This is for all you who feel like a good classic movie, but don't know which one. Just post a genre (mystery, drama, comedy) or favourite actor/actress/director, and everyone else can suggest a good movie to watch-or warn about a not so good one. Now, I am in the mood for a good comedy....

Dear Classsy....The comedy that I want to recommend to you is The More The Merrier(1944). Whenever I get down and just want to laugh, I put this tape in and it never fails to cheer me up. It stars Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, and Charles Coburn giving an Oscar-winning performance.

If you see it, post back and tell me what you think!!

:-)

Mary

Hi

I too really enoyed The More the Merrier and that is a terrific choice.

Another film that is guaranteed to make you laugh often is The Major and the Minor with Ginger Rogers. She is a young woman in New York who is fed up with the city. She decides to move back home and only has enough train fare for a child's ticket. So, she dresses like a child, has a con man buy the ticket for her, and then many hysterical situations happen. I love this movie.

Minatonga, how about "An Inspector Calls" (1954) with the incomparable Alastair Sim in J.B. Priestley's classic play or "Evil Under the Sun" (1982) with a great ensemble cast, including James Mason & Maggie Smith, an entertaining Cole Porter soundtrack, and an intricate murder?

During all the blizzards and floods we had here in NYC last week, I was definitely in the mood for black and white thrillers and old Abbott and Costello happy flicks. I melted in delight when the logo for "HOld That Ghost" came on the screen, starring not only Abbott and Costello but the fabulous Andrew Sisters. Then I clapped my hands when "Topper Returns" unfurled. Roland West, Patsy Kelly, Rochester, Billie Burke, etc. were in fabulous shape. Another great wintry goodie was "And then there were none..." the l943 gem that never fails to thrill. Of course there were the great old staples: "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman", "Mummy's Ghost," "NIght Monster," "Dark Victory," "Now, Voyager," some technicolor candy like "Moon Over Miami" and "The Dolly Sisters." Whew. And I've still got my "favorites" stacked up to watch.

Paty - I love "Hold That Ghost" as well - I think it was Abbott and Costello's best. It's a shame that TCM can't show the great comedies that these two made. And I also love "Topper Returns" - I thought I would bust a gut when they all get locked in the freezer - and Rochester with the seal is hysterical.

And Classy - As for a good film noir away from the big city - the first that comes to my mind is "The Postman Always Rings Twice." (The 1946 version of course)

• 1 month later...