Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another Thread Bites the Dust

Yesterday someone (I think, "Palmerin") started a thread here titled something like "Actresses Lose Out after 1960s".    That is not the exact title, but it was something like that. Something about how he (the original poster) felt that women's roles declined with the advent of new sexual mores in the late 60s and the 70s. 

I did not agree with him, but that's not the point. The point is, for no reason I can tell, the thread has been completely deleted. If I'm wrong, I'll certainly look like a fool, posting this. But I did carefully scroll through the first two  pages in this "General Discussions" forum, and did not find it.

Bad enough that it was removed, but (again, unless I'm wrong ) it looks to me like it was just quietly "disappeared". Not even locked, not even a comment from the Goderator explaining why.

I absolutely cannot understand the thinking behind certain threads, and certain posts, being deleted out, locked, or completely removed without a word of explanation. As far as I could see, there wasn't anything in the thread which would have warranted such a complete "scrubbing".

Unless it was my use of the word   S  L  U  T.   So, Goderator could have just deleted that word, and left the thread.

Again, not that I was particularly enamoured of the thread itself, but that's beside the point.

What gives with the Goderator and how decisions are made re. deleting and /or locking threads here?

(Just watch this one get disappeared quick as a flash, as soon as G. sees it. )

• Like 6

I referenced the Rhonda Fleming "Word of Mouth" piece she did about Spellbound, in which she uses a word that the auto-censor stars out, so noticed that the thread was sent down the memory hole overnight.

It would be far better just to lock this stuff, which I didn't think was that outrageous anyhow.

There's a lot of talk about being offended by things these days, it would be interesting to get some kind of algorhythm stat that could demonstrate how much the use of the word "offended" has increased over the last few years or so. I don't mean on these boards, I mean in general.

Anyway, nothing on these boards offends me more than having a thread just "disappeared" like that, no explanation, no nuthin' .  It's disrespectful, and it's creepy.

• Like 2

Yesterday someone (I think, "Palmerin") started a thread here titled something like "Actresses Lose Out after 1960s".    That is not the exact title, but it was something like that. Something about how he (the original poster) felt that women's roles declined with the advent of new sexual mores in the late 60s and the 70s. 

I did not agree with him, but that's not the point. The point is, for no reason I can tell, the thread has been completely deleted. If I'm wrong, I'll certainly look like a fool, posting this. But I did carefully scroll through the first two  pages in this "General Discussions" forum, and did not find it.

Bad enough that it was removed, but (again, unless I'm wrong ) it looks to me like it was just quietly "disappeared". Not even locked, not even a comment from the Goderator explaining why.

I absolutely cannot understand the thinking behind certain threads, and certain posts, being deleted out, locked, or completely removed without a word of explanation. As far as I could see, there wasn't anything in the thread which would have warranted such a complete "scrubbing".

Unless it was my use of the word   S  L  U  T.   So, Goderator could have just deleted that word, and left the thread.

Again, not that I was particularly enamoured of the thread itself, but that's beside the point.

What gives with the Goderator and how decisions are made re. deleting and /or locking threads here?

(Just watch this one get disappeared quick as a flash, as soon as G. sees it. )

Perhaps your use of the term "Goderator" is causing you to be ready target.

A bit OT, but speaks to the growing idiocy of how people expect to be catered to whenever they are offended and how it affects our daily lives. Being diabetic, I must have a yearly dilated eye exam. This means sitting in the waiting room for 30 minutes or more with my eyes going out of commission as the drops do their job. When I first started doing this I almost looked forward to it, because the TV was tuned to CNN - which is the centrist news station. I think most people will agree FOX is on the right, MSNBC on the left. About three years ago I come in and sit down for the dilating drops to do their job and notice some cooking channel is on. I asked the receptionist "What happened to CNN?". She said somebody was "offended by watching the news" and demanded that the channel be changed. The office staff figured that since everybody must eat, the cooking channel was a safe bet. Last year I came in and they had replaced the TV with one of those non-stop blaring pharmaceutical ad machines that says cheery things like "Do you have headaches? Then you could have degenerative liver disease! Go see your doctor immediately and don't forget to ask for Brand X medication. A $4000 copay coupon is available if you are below the poverty line."  I asked the receptionist what happened to the cooking channel, and she said another diabetic complained that the cooking channel had nothing but things on it that she could not eat and was offended by this. So, the staff said, what the heck, let's have one of those Pharma Company Hypnotic Eye things installed, make some money, and nobody can rightly be offended by us making money. True story.  And I'm sure this story will offend someone!

• Like 4

A bit OT, but speaks to the growing idiocy of how people expect to be catered to whenever they are offended and how it affects our daily lives. Being diabetic, I must have a yearly dilated eye exam. This means sitting in the waiting room for 30 minutes or more with my eyes going out of commission as the drops do their job. When I first started doing this I almost looked forward to it, because the TV was tuned to CNN - which is the centrist news station. I think most people will agree FOX is on the right, MSNBC on the left. About three years ago I come in and sit down for the dilating drops to do their job and notice some cooking channel is on. I asked the receptionist "What happened to CNN?". She said somebody was "offended by watching the news" and demanded that the channel be changed. The office staff figured that since everybody must eat, the cooking channel was a safe bet. Last year I came in and they had replaced the TV with one of those non-stop blaring pharmaceutical ad machines that says cheery things like "Do you have headaches? Then you could have degenerative liver disease! Go see your doctor immediately and don't forget to ask for Brand X medication. A $4000 copay coupon is available if you are below the poverty line."  I asked the receptionist what happened to the cooking channel, and she said another diabetic complained that the cooking channel had nothing but things on it that she could not eat and was offended by this. So, the staff said, what the heck, let's have one of those Pharma Company Hypnotic Eye things installed, make some money, and nobody can rightly be offended by us making money. True story.  And I'm sure this story will offend someone!

The general practitioner I had until September had his TV set on the CNN station that is dedicated exclusively to health and medicine issues. It irked me tremendously that its programming kept reminding me of my diabetes 2, as if I were likely to forget the condition that requires me to take regular injections of Humalog and Levemir. I was too polite, however, to make overbearing demands; instead I went to an adjacent room, away from the waiting room, and read books such as the thrillers of John Grisham.

I've never been to a doctor's office that had an adjacent room away from the waiting room, with appealing alternative reading, to boot. 

• Like 1

Perhaps your use of the term "Goderator" is causing you to be ready target.

Or maybe it could be that threads like this one are created about once a week.    Threads that are not about movies and are more worthless than threads that attempt to define what a classic movie is.   :wacko:

I was trying to post the word **** Sapiens last week and  I had to do it as homosapiens  to get it to pass...Is this being a little on the phobic  ****? (pansies)  side? 2015 or 1984? You Decide.

When the boards were first redone, I was typing something about Boston **** and it got blanked out like that. I had to spell it Boston Blakkie to get it to go through.

This is the second thread I've posted in in the past week that's been deleted. I think maybe it's me.

YES, Lawrence! Would you PLEASE clean up your act around here!

(...I've been wonderin' lately when you'd have this little epiphany?!!!)

;)

• Like 2

it would be interesting to get some kind of algorhythm stat that could demonstrate how much the use of the word "offended" has increased over the last few years

It's  spelled  "algorithm." Your bad spelling offends me. :blink:

It's  spelled  "algorithm." Your bad spelling offends me. :blink:

But scuzzy, I looked it up before I posted. I saw two different spellings for it, so went with the one that made more sense to me - ie, isn't it somehow based on the word "rhythm", spelt with an "h"  and a "y"  (as opposed to just an "i".) ?

Ok, ok, full disclosure: I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY PRECISELY WHAT AN "ALGORITHM" (OR "ALGORHYTHM" )  IS.

I just associate the word with measuring how many times a word  appears on the internet.

But I do agree, in principle, bad spelling is offensive.   (not "offencive" )

Can you define "algorithm" for us?

To quote one of those internet definitions:

"Full Definition of ALGORITHM
:  a procedure for solving a mathematical problem (as of finding the greatest common divisor) in a finite number of steps that frequently involves repetition of an operation; broadly :  a step-by-step procedure for solving a problem or accomplishing some end especially by a computer"

Well, that explains everything. :wacko:

But scuzzy, I looked it up before I posted. I saw two different spellings for it, so went with the one that made more sense to me - ie, isn't it somehow based on the word "rhythm", spelt with an "h"  and a "y"  (as opposed to just an "i".) ?

The word comes from the latin name for al-Khwārizmī, an Arabic mathematician from the 8th-9th century.  al-Khwārizmī wrote a book, whose title has been shortened to  al-jabr, from which we get the word "algebra."

The word comes from the latin name for al-Khwārizmī, an Arabic mathematician from the 8th-9th century.  al-Khwārizmī wrote a book, whose title has been shortened to  al-jabr, from which we get the word "algebra."

I knew it ! You're a linguist as well as a mathematician.  (Can this somehow be worked into one of your Message Board polls? Aren't we due for another one?  please? )

I've never been to a doctor's office that had an adjacent room away from the waiting room, with appealing alternative reading, to boot. 

Dr. Oswald Anthony Williams of Saint Petersburg is very considerate with his patients.