Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's in a Name?

darkblue

Would this poor guy be permitted to join our community?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mans-actual-name-unfortunate-nobody-101434690.html

One of my recent favorites is the word shield in Russian...щит

Guess it makes Star Trek funny when Kirk shout to raise the shields.  :lol:

https://www.quora.com/What-foreign-names-and-words-sound-offensive-in-English

Far as community goes....

http://www.dicklongrealestate.com/

The subject was in a funny scene in "Alien Nation" (1988) after Det. Sykes made fun of George's name

Detective Francisco (the alien)...It's like your name, Sykes.  I'm sure it doesn't bother you at all that it sounds like "ss'ai k'ss" two words in my language which means "excrement" and "Cranium".....S____head.

940bbee6dcff8eb0eb8cc26e4e5e2d31.jpg

I'd have no problem with him joining "our community", although the trigger happy MODS might jump the gun.

And his problems were on FACEBOOK?  Why doesn't THAT surprise me?( buncha candy ****)

And don't forget.  This place's "autoprude" would have a problem(maybe, we'll see) if someone here told the happy news that their son or daughter graduated from college SUMMA **** LAUDE. (yep.  "autoprude" is also kind of DUMB)

And anyway, it kinda reminds me of that old gag sheet that went around work about a Chinese restaraunt menu offering "sum yung chic".

Sepiatone

Did they read Wong, wrong?  ;)

Yeah, I think they did, ham.

(...BUT, let's remember here that the instances of the media getting something wong..err, wrong, are often in as great a number as there are in the proverbial "Chins in a Chinese phone book"!!!)

LOL

I know how this is going to sound, but I'm thrashing ahead anyway.

With a name like that, living in an English-speaking country, I think the guy should expect jokes, anger, objections, disbelief, and all the rest of the assorted reactions that will respond to a name like that. And the English-speakers should not be automatically assumed to know it is pronounced differently from how it's spelt.

I honestly think, if he wants to continue to live in Australia without the constant reactions to his name, he should either change his name, or at least,change its spelling. He can assert that it's a perfectly valid Vietnamese name all he wants, and I believe him. But he's not living in Vietnam, he's living in English-speaking Australia, and a name spelt like that is definitely going to always get negative attention.

If I moved to a country where my name meant something funny/weird/offensive/smutty  in the language of that country, l'd change it.

ps: Poe-faced pro-woman thought: I actually don't think the English phrase that everyone hears when that name is pronounced is hilariously funny at all.  (Not that this is in any way the poor Vietnamese guy's fault.)

I know how this is going to sound, but I'm thrashing ahead anyway.

With a name like that, living in an English-speaking country, I think the guy should expect jokes, anger, objections, disbelief, and all the rest of the assorted reactions that will respond to a name like that. And the English-speakers should not be automatically assumed to know it is pronounced differently from how it's spelt.

I honestly think, if he wants to continue to live in Australia without the constant reactions to his name, he should either change his name, or at least,change its spelling. He can assert that it's a perfectly valid Vietnamese name all he wants, and I believe him. But he's not living in Vietnam, he's living in English-speaking Australia, and a name spelt like that is definitely going to always get negative attention.

If I moved to a country where my name meant something funny/weird/offensive/smutty  in the language of that country, l'd change it.

Yep, exactly what I was thinkin' here too, MissW.

ps: Poe-faced pro-woman thought: I actually don't think the English phrase that everyone hears when that name is pronounced is hilariously funny at all.  (Not that this is in any way the poor Vietnamese guy's fault.) 

Well, I sure as hell hope you AT LEAST still think those fake Asian names that that newscaster was hoodwinked into sayin' on air were funny anyway!

(...I COULD lose all faith in my confidence of you possessing one of the best senses of humo(u)r around here, male OR female, if you'd tell me differently here, ya know!) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

...Well, I sure as hell hope you AT LEAST still think those fake Asian names that that newscaster was hoodwinked into sayin' on air were funny anyway!

(...I COULD lose all faith in my confidence of you possessing one of the best senses of humo(u)r around here, male OR female, if you'd tell me differently here, ya know!) ;)

LOL

I certainly hope my sense of honoUr, er, humoUr,  remains intact, Dargo baby. 

And yup, I did have to laugh at those fake names. I wonder if Chinese people ever get a laugh out of some of our English names?

Need to post this in 2 threads (this and the One Liners) from "Star Trek TNG - Home Soil" when the inorganic life form calls humans Ugly bags of mostly water. :huh: 

I also liked Persis Khambatta in STAR TREK: The Movie calling us "Carbon Units".

Sepiatone

I can only imagine this poor fellow's name, as the links never work for me.

Any tips?

Sorry, GD, I only just now saw your question here.

I believe the article said the gentleman's name is  P h u c   Dat  B i c h.

Seriously.

ps:  can you believe it, Ottocensor even astericked out this when I typed it. How does the Ottocensor understand Vietnamese?