Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't miss What a Way to Go!

slaytonf

One of my favorite Shirley MacLaine movies.  It's a bit dated, and some might say it was sexist in the main character's yearning for a conventional home life, with her as the wifey.  But it's really not all that bad, the focus of the story being her tragic search for love and home.  She ends up failing miserably as each one of her successive husbands. . . .becomes wildly successful and wealthy, invariably becoming consumed, and killed by it.

Did I mention it was a comedy?

It's actually well done, with a terrific cast of the big big movie stars of the time:  Dick Van Dyke, Dean Martin, Robert Mitchum, Paul Newman, Gene Kelly, and Robert Cummings.  Shirley's the only woman on the block, but she holds her own with them.  Not really so hard as you'd think, only having to take them on one at a time.

So, does she find happiness with a simple life, and a hubbie that loves her?  Guess.

• Like 1

One of my favorite Shirley MacLaine movies.  It's a bit dated, and some might say it was sexist in the main character's yearning for a conventional home life, with her as the wifey.  But it's really not all that bad, the focus of the story being her tragic search for love and home.  She ends up failing miserably as each one of her successive husbands. . . .becomes wildly successful and wealthy, invariably becoming consumed, and killed by it.

Did I mention it was a comedy?

It's actually well done, with a terrific cast of the big big movie stars of the time:  Dick Van Dyke, Dean Martin, Robert Mitchum, Paul Newman, Gene Kelly, and Robert Cummings.  Shirley's the only woman on the block, but she holds her own with them.  Not really so hard as you'd think, only having to take them on one at a time.

So, does she find happiness with a simple life, and a hubbie that loves her?  Guess.

How is it dated? Money is as important as ever.

How is it dated? Money is as important as ever.

It's a little sexist, but in such a gleefully tone-deaf way that it is what it us...

And some of the things it parodies (like Brigitte Bardot "art" films) went out a while back.

the most interesting thing about WHAT A WAY TO GO! besides the aggressive stunt casting is THE COSTUMES- they're the real star (in fact, almost to a fault.)

• Like 2

It's a little sexist, but in such a gleefully tone-deaf way that it is what it us...

And some of the things it parodies (like Brigitte Bardot "art" films) went out a while back.

the most interesting thing about WHAT A WAY TO GO! besides the aggressive stunt casting is THE COSTUMES- they're the real star (in fact, almost to a fault.)

The type of explanations given regarding why this film is dated would lead to the conclusion that most films set in the year they are made are dated.

Gad, what a buncha GASBAGS!

I wouldn't expect a movie made in the mid 1960's to be topically relevant  in 2015.   hint:

TCM!

But, just saw it a couple of times in the last few weeks on MOVIES, and DO have it on a TAPE somewhere 'round here.

I long thought the flick was a hoot.  Thought so when I first saw it FIFTY ONE years ago.  It's hard NOT to like Shirley MacLaine. Especially when you're a hormone ravaged adolescent.  Or even WAY past that stage.  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 2

In the film, all Shirley wants to do is find a man content on living simply. She has an unhappy childhood because her mother was obsessed with being rich. Her mother spent much of Shirley's childhood trying to get her hooked up with Dean Martin's character because he was the richest man in town--even though Shirley didn't even like him. She was further turned off by his always flaunting his wealth and pestering her because he thought his wealth should be enough to win her over.

Shirley's character yearns for a simple life not governed by money or material objects.

However, her husbands keep achieving success, much to Shirley's chagrin.

I agree with Lorna, MacLaine's Edith Head costumes are the real star--especially the ones she wears during the Paul Newman segment and Robert Mitchum part of the story.

• Like 1

I havent seen the film in many years. I remember not liking it. Thought it was overblown and produced and not particularly funny. Marilyn was supposed to star in it. Maybe she could've saved it. I know the film was a hit for its time. But I think its probably very dated by now......

• Like 2

I havent seen the film in many years. I remember not liking it. Thought it was overblown and produced and not particularly funny. Marilyn was supposed to star in it. Maybe she could've saved it. I know the film was a hit for its time. But I think its probably very dated by now......

Fox Movie Channel has shown this so I've seen it recently, but my memory agreed with yours, that it was overblown and too ham-handed to be really funny. It may be due partially to the director, J.Lee Thompson, who specialized around that time in "big" pictures like The Guns of Navarone and Taras Bulba. The comedy in WAWTG! seems forced and too broad, but it's fun to watch for the stars. 

I wonder about Marilyn too, since it could have potentially put her opposite Paul Newman, a combo I would love to have seen, though Newman didn't really seem to shine in comedy the way she did. (In A New Kind of Love he came off as kind of smarmy instead of funny. As he aged, it seems as though he developed a nice wry sense of humor.) 

• Like 1

Fox Movie Channel has shown this so I've seen it recently, but my memory agreed with yours, that it was overblown and too ham-handed to be really funny. It may be due partially to the director, J.Lee Thompson, who specialized around that time in "big" pictures like The Guns of Navarone and Taras Bulba. The comedy in WAWTG! seems forced and too broad, but it's fun to watch for the stars. 

I wonder about Marilyn too, since it could have potentially put her opposite Paul Newman, a combo I would love to have seen, though Newman didn't really seem to shine in comedy the way she did. (In A New Kind of Love he came off as kind of smarmy instead of funny. As he aged, it seems as though he developed a nice wry sense of humor.) 

Yea,  the film is overblown and too hammy but hey that is part of the fun.    Watching this film is like watching the Carol Burnett show.   OK, some of the scenes go on too long but one knows that they will end soon and there will be yet another.  

• Like 2

wHoa.

The same guy that directed THE GUNS OF NAVARONE directed WHAT A WAY TO GO! ?!?

mIND = bloWn

Yea,  the film is overblown and too hammy but hey that is part of the fun.    Watching this film is like watching the Carol Burnett show.   OK, some of the scenes go on too long but one know that they will end soon and there will be yet another.  

Boom.

Nailed it.

(except minus Tim Conway making Harvey Korman crack up in every third scene.)

• Like 1

Yes, A New Kind of Love isn't Newman's (or Woodward's) finest hour........

Yea,  the film is overblown and too hammy but hey that is part of the fun.    Watching this film is like watching the Carol Burnett show.   OK, some of the scenes go on too long but one know that they will end soon and there will be yet another.

I agree. This film is over the top, but I love it. The scenes of Shirley and her male co-star spoofing popular genres are hilarious. I love the one of Shirley and Robert Mitchum where she's wearing all those over the top dresses. I also like the one with Paul Newman where they're spoofing the French films. I especially like the scenes of the ever decreasing bath tub.

This film isn't meant to be serious. It's a fun movie and I never tire of it.

Why is WAWTG filed under "TCM PRESENTS' in the schedule? Is it a premiere? And why is it slated for 1:00 am if it is?

For the same reason other premieres or seldom shown movies are shown late at night. So people on the east coast are in bed and cant watch them..........(LOL).

Being There, which has been shown UMPTEEN times this past year, is leading off in the 8pm slot. Some Came Running which has been played to death follows.........

It cant be due to content. I'm sure Being There is 10x racier than anything in "Go"........

• Like 2

I like this movie very much! It is broad spoof which does not take itself seriously. It is very definitely a movie of its time. I love the champagne-glass bed! It looks to me that actors were having fun while making it and that goes a very long way with me.

• Like 2

Again with "dated"? Never have I seen a film on these boards being so condemned as "dated". I could trot out about 1,000 classic films that are MORE dated.

Again with "dated"? Never have I seen a film on these boards being so condemned as "dated". I could trot out about 1,000 classic films that are MORE dated.

In the case of What A Way to Go 'dated' makes sense because the skits are mocking genre specific conventions of prior filmmaking.  For those inside jokes to 'work' one has to have knowledge of those genre specific conventions.    The concept is true for any parody.  e.g. Young Frankenstein;    knowledge of the Universal Frankenstein films is necessary for many of the jokes to be fully understood.  

Therefore in this way parodies become 'dated' more so than other type of films.    

In the case of What A Way to Go 'dated' makes sense because the skits are mocking genre specific conventions of prior filmmaking.  For those inside jokes to 'work' one has to have knowledge of those genre specific conventions.    The concept is true for any parody.  e.g. Young Frankenstein;    knowledge of the Universal Frankenstein films is necessary for many of the jokes to be fully understood.  

Therefore in this way parodies become 'dated' more so than other type of films.    

Can you give specific examples of films it is parodying?