Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We've Lost Rex Reason

The brothers are together again.

Rex Reason, the tall, handsome actor with a lush voice who portrayed the heroic scientist Dr. Cal Meacham in the 1955 science-fiction cult classic This Island Earth, has died. He was 86.

Reason died Thursday of bladder cancer at his home in Walnut, California, his wife of 47 years, Shirley, told The Hollywood Reporter.

The actor also starred as Adam MacLean, publisher and chief reporter for the Wyoming newspaper

The Yellowstone Sentinel, in the 1957-59 syndicated TV show Western Man Without a Gun, and he played another newspaperman in the 1960-61 series The Roaring 20’s.

Contrary to what one might think, Rex Reason was his birth name, not one dreamed up by a Hollywood executive. Universal Pictures, in fact, had billed him as "Bart Roberts" in a couple of films before he insisted on being credited with his real name.

His younger brother, Rhodes Reason, also an actor, died in December 2014 at age 84.

In This Island Earth, distributed by Universal-International and directed by Joseph M. Newman, Reason’s Dr. Meacham is one of the scientists recruited by a denizen of the planet Metaluna to help in a war against another alien race. Russell Johnson, the future Professor on Gilligan’s Island, also played a scientist in the Technicolor movie, which at the time was hailed for its effects.

Raised in Los Angeles, Reason attended Hollywood High School and then Hoover High School in Glendale. After a two-year stint in the U.S. Army, he began a stage career at the Pasadena Playhouse.

The 6-foot-3 actor was noticed by a talent scout who surely admired his distinctive baritone, and he quickly was cast as the lead in the World War II drama Storm Over Tibet (1952), playing opposite Diana Douglas, the mother of actor Michael Douglas (she had recently divorced Kirk Douglas).
After a few years at MGM and Columbia, Reason landed at Universal and worked alongside Rita Hayworth in William Dieterle’s Salome (1953). He later starred as another scientist in The Creature Walks Among Us (1956), appeared with Clark Gable and Sidney Poitier in Band of Angels (1957) and toplined Badlands of Montana (1957) and Thundering Jets (1958).

In addition to The Roaring 20’s, Reason picked up gigs on other Warner Bros. TV dramas like Conflict, 77 Sunset Strip, The Alaskans and Bourbon Street Beat.

Following an appearance in a 1963 episode of Wagon Train, Reason quit show business. He eventually became a real estate broker.

"It was hard to pull away from the only thing I knew, acting, even though I knew that the best of me was still ahead," he said in a 2010 interview. "The internal tug-of-war gave way to my leaving the Glamour City, without really knowing exactly what direction I was going to take. My agent, my mother, my brother and others could not understand my choice, and in fact, my agent was particularly angry, as you can imagine."

In addition to his wife, survivors include his children Andrea and Brent.

• Like 3

I was very saddened to read this yesterday. I was always a fan of his almost comically masculine vocal delivery.

Also passing away recently was Mexican horror great German Robles, most famous for his many vampire film roles. Christopher Lee was once quoted stating that his take on Dracula was inspired by Robles'.

I was very saddened to read this yesterday. I was always a fan of his almost comically masculine vocal delivery.

Also passing away recently was Mexican horror great German Robles, most famous for his many vampire film roles. Christopher Lee was once quoted stating that his take on Dracula was inspired by Robles'.

I always had a fondness for this guy too. A lot of it was the voice, like you said. I loved when he was paired with Faith Domergue in This Island Earth. They had great chemistry together.  With all due respect, both were such prefab, "actory" types, sort of like a B-Team version of Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell, who were more the real thing. Didn't he act under another name too? I remember seeing him credited as someone else and being confused. 

P.S......Just reread the original post and saw the name Bart Roberts. To be honest, I may have confused him with his brother too. I just checked the data base and it was Rhodes in King Kong Escapes, not Rex, who I thought had done it.

• Like 1

I just knew this was gonna happen! Rex Reason kicking off before tcm could ask him to do a co-host sit-in with osborne of a showing of This Island Earth, now rex reason is gone. never gonna happen now because tcm slights the sci-fi and horror genres.

The brothers are together again.

Rex Reason, the tall, handsome actor with a lush voice who portrayed the heroic scientist Dr. Cal Meacham in the 1955 science-fiction cult classic This Island Earth, has died. He was 86.

Reason died Thursday of bladder cancer at his home in Walnut, California, his wife of 47 years, Shirley, told The Hollywood Reporter.

The actor also starred as Adam MacLean, publisher and chief reporter for the Wyoming newspaper

The Yellowstone Sentinel, in the 1957-59 syndicated TV show Western Man Without a Gun, and he played another newspaperman in the 1960-61 series The Roaring 20’s.

Contrary to what one might think, Rex Reason was his birth name, not one dreamed up by a Hollywood executive. Universal Pictures, in fact, had billed him as "Bart Roberts" in a couple of films before he insisted on being credited with his real name.

His younger brother, Rhodes Reason, also an actor, died in December 2014 at age 84.

In This Island Earth, distributed by Universal-International and directed by Joseph M. Newman, Reason’s Dr. Meacham is one of the scientists recruited by a denizen of the planet Metaluna to help in a war against another alien race. Russell Johnson, the future Professor on Gilligan’s Island, also played a scientist in the Technicolor movie, which at the time was hailed for its effects.

Raised in Los Angeles, Reason attended Hollywood High School and then Hoover High School in Glendale. After a two-year stint in the U.S. Army, he began a stage career at the Pasadena Playhouse.

The 6-foot-3 actor was noticed by a talent scout who surely admired his distinctive baritone, and he quickly was cast as the lead in the World War II drama Storm Over Tibet (1952), playing opposite Diana Douglas, the mother of actor Michael Douglas (she had recently divorced Kirk Douglas).

After a few years at MGM and Columbia, Reason landed at Universal and worked alongside Rita Hayworth in William Dieterle’s Salome (1953). He later starred as another scientist in The Creature Walks Among Us (1956), appeared with Clark Gable and Sidney Poitier in Band of Angels (1957) and toplined Badlands of Montana (1957) and Thundering Jets (1958).

In addition to The Roaring 20’s, Reason picked up gigs on other Warner Bros. TV dramas like Conflict, 77 Sunset Strip, The Alaskans and Bourbon Street Beat.

Following an appearance in a 1963 episode of Wagon Train, Reason quit show business. He eventually became a real estate broker.

"It was hard to pull away from the only thing I knew, acting, even though I knew that the best of me was still ahead," he said in a 2010 interview. "The internal tug-of-war gave way to my leaving the Glamour City, without really knowing exactly what direction I was going to take. My agent, my mother, my brother and others could not understand my choice, and in fact, my agent was particularly angry, as you can imagine."

In addition to his wife, survivors include his children Andrea and Brent.

I think he guest starred in an episode of STAR TREK the original series in 1968 and made other TV appearances up to 1977.  

I just knew this was gonna happen! Rex Reason kicking off before tcm could ask him to do a co-host sit-in with osborne of a showing of This Island Earth, now rex reason is gone. never gonna happen now because tcm slights the sci-fi and horror genres.

Yeah, it's all a conspiracy to keep you from seeing what you want. They even said on the cruise that we're not going to show horror or sci fi or Hot Spell because this Nippy guy keeps posting about it.

I also often got the two briothers mixed up, since they were practically identical.  Whenever I think of Rex, I remember him in "Band of Angels".. It was as rather substantial part for him.  He played one of the many who were attracted to Yvonne DeCarlo's character  (who could blame them!)  I'm sorry he is gone, even though he left his career many years ago.

Terrence.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's all a conspiracy to keep you from seeing what you want. They even said on the cruise that we're not going to show horror or sci fi or Hot Spell because this Nippy guy keeps posting about it.

"I KNEW IT!!!" -wolf larsen (Edward G. Robinson)

:)