Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many of these right direction wrong direction TCM threads...

.. are in a backhanded way political in the sense that say conservatives (of any age) want to see the pre 60s films ad infinitum because that is the fantasy land they want to live in, and seeing anything post. 60s they consider the point when their world, the country, and cinema went all to hell?  :D

• Like 3

This is an interesting idea Joe...

I believe if memory serves many of the Hollywood establishment back in the heyday of Hollywood were mostly conservatives themselves. It wasn't until after WWII ended that things started to change in a political sense. Today's Hollywood is almost entirely the other way politically now.

As far as being conservative and wanting only pre-1960 films to be shown, that might be somewhat accurate. However, I am a moderate conservative and I enjoy films from all time periods except for silents.

My own take is that I do not see here Hollywood has gone all too hell and back so to speak, it is just operated and run by people who really do not know many fresh ideas when they are staring at them.

• Like 3

This is an interesting idea Joe...

I believe if memory serves many of the Hollywood establishment back in the heyday of Hollywood were mostly conservatives themselves. It wasn't until after WWII ended that things started to change in a political sense. Today's Hollywood is almost entirely the other way politically now.

As far as being conservative and wanting only pre-1960 films to be shown, that might be somewhat accurate. However, I am a moderate conservative and I enjoy films from all time periods except for silents.

My own take is that I do not see here Hollywood has gone all too hell and back so to speak, it is just operated and run by people who really do not know many fresh ideas when they are staring at them.

Yes,  it is an interesting idea but one that doesn't apply to me.    Socially I'm a liberal as well as secular but I tend to watch mostly movies from 1930 - 1968.     Of course I'll watch recently released movies (hey even ones released this year),  but like the music I listen to and play I tend to spend my time on the entertainment from previous eras.    

The main reason I wish for TCM to mostly show pre-1970 movies is strictly from a branding POV.   i.e. when I turn to TCM to see what they are showing I want to have a general expectation that the movie will be pre-1970.      This was similar to setting my car radio dial to my local  jazz station.     BUT to broaden their audience the local jazz stations now features blues,  light easy listening 'jazz'  (Sinatra who I love but 95% of his recording are not jazz),  and other hybrid type music I don't view as jazz.    So now I don't listen to it anymore since I don't know what type of music they may be playing.         

• Like 2

Many of my relatives are Conservative Republicans from the Heartland and their idea of classic movies is old movies and they never watch any of it. When they come to visit me here on that terrible East Coast,they make fun of my DVR being filled up with black & white movies, calling them classic, classic. All they like is the Hallmark Movie channel,Swap it Flop it, Fix up shows and CBS which bores me. 

• Like 2

Many of my relatives are Conservative Republicans from the Heartland and their idea of classic movies is old movies and they never watch any of it. When they come to visit me here on that terrible East Coast,they make fun of my DVR being filled up with black & white movies, calling them classic, classic. All they like is the Hallmark Movie channel,Swap it Flop it, Fix up shows and CBS which bores me. 

I also have many conservative relatives and they are surprised I'm into those 'old' movies.   I go to talk to them about movies and they know next to nothing about them since they don't watch them.  Few are aware of TCM.   Instead they just complain about the trash being made today.   But instead of seeking out quality movies from previous eras they would rather hear themselves complain.

• Like 3

.. are in a backhanded way political in the sense that say conservatives (of any age) want to see the pre 60s films ad infinitum because that is the fantasy land they want to live in, and seeing anything post. 60s they consider the point when their world, the country, and cinema went all to hell? :D

This really is a terrific post, and it gets to what I have tried to say in a few threads recently. I think most criticism about films of certain eras is more about the viewer and their particular hangups and prejudices than about the actual films themselves. And it goes both ways. There are plenty of people who dismiss all old films as antiquated museum pieces, refusing to watch anything made before they were born, anything in black & white, anything subtitled or silent, etc. They won't watch the new/old movie, but they have no problem dismissing or denigrating it while having no real first hand knowledge. Of course, this isn't to say all movies from one period are good or all from another are bad. There's quality and garbage in every year, usually a lot more of the latter. But one shouldn't dismiss an era of films based on only one or two or even ten examples. You just have to search harder for the good stuff.

• Like 4

"CBS"? They watch CBS you say, ahharding???

Well, I'll bet they AT LEAST don't watch Scott Pelley delivering his "slanted news reports" from that "terribly liberal East Coast city of New York" each night on that "Lamestream Media" channel when they come to visit, now do they?!!! Lemme guess here...they're only watchin' "Survivor" and mindless crap like THAT on that network, RIGHT?!! LOL

;)

(...btw folks, and speaking of "betting"...five'll getcha ten that the lifespan of cigarjoe's thread here is gonna be about a day and half TOPS before our resident moderator wipes it clean off these boards...though of course I hope I'm wrong about this)

• Like 1

By all means, let's get a political squabble going. Just what this website needs.

Yea,  this thread belongs in the Chit-chat forum which has now become mostly a political forum.

BUT I'm not asking that it be moved.    So please moderator, don't move it or close it down.   

• Like 2

By all means, let's get a political squabble going. Just what this website needs.

HEY now, faceinthecrowd ol' boy. You HAVE to know that with cigarjoe's original premise of this thread here being what it is--a premise which posited the idea of some kind of "political"(the operative word here) predisposition to one's viewing preferences-- somewhere along the line there's gonna be SOMEBODY around here in the GENERAL Discussion forum who "gonna get their feelings hurt" by what someone ELSE will post, and because of the aforementioned "operative word".

And thus the reason I agree with James' suggestion that this thread might be better placed in the Chit-Chat Forum, and where it seems threads which broach the subject of "Politics" and how each individual board member views that topic have been allowed to flower for quite some time now.

(...and where of course I can occasionally, by use of my "oh so keen insight and sharp wit", poke fun at those who differ politically from me...uh-huh, kind'a like I just did here!!!) LOL

;)

I just don't think that TCM is going in a wrong or right direction or needs to change much with regards to their programming. They are just trying to come up with fresh ideas with their Themes and Spotlights. Sometimes it works like their African Americans in Film and sometimes it falls or starts out good and then falls short. They can't just keep showing RKO, MGM and Warner films just shuffling them around so they use and let a Theme guide their Objective which is a good idea. Programming any movie channel is not easy.

• Like 4