Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

But I'm not talking about ON screen.....

More or less the friendships some actors or actresses have with other actors and actresses that might strike one strange.  Sadly, I started this thread with only TWO that I can think of.....

VICTOR MATURE and JIM BACKUS----Remember hearing or reading somewhwere that these two were buddies.  Closer than just casual, as "casual" friendships aren't really all that "close".  I also recall reading/hearing somewhere they were business partners too.  Don't know if THAT's true, but you wouldn't think the two would "hang out" together very often if at all.

MARLON BRANDO and WALLY COX---Understand THESE two were pretty close buddies.  You wouldn't think so at first, as many think "birds of a feather" and all.....

Got any others?

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Even considering the commonality they share of being legendary comedians, perhaps the contrasting style of the low-key dead pan humor of Bob Newhart with that of the frenetic comedic style of Don Rickles is the primary reason for my mentioning this "Unlikely Pair" who have been the closest of friends for decades, and who with their wives have traveled much of the world together.

• Like 2

But, DO bear in mind I'm looking for ACTUAL odd friendships.

Yeah, As both Alexander Woolcott and Adolph(Harpo) Marx were both members of the ALGONQUIN ROUND TABLE, their friendship isn't that surprising.  But DOES still fit in with the "odd" friendship theme.

Also, like many wouldn't have thought "hunky" Christopher Reeve would have been such a close friend of Robin Williams, but....

I also don't think the BROOKS/REINER friendship was all that odd.  However, .....

GEORGE BURNS and JACK BENNY seemed an unlikely friendship, considering the vastly different styles and personalities, but, ther ya go....

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Well, ST, the story I read indicated that Woolcott had seen the brothers in one of their Broadway shows and immediately "fell" for Harpo. He contacted him and the rest of their lives spent a great deal of time together, sometimes with Harpo's family in tow. If I'm remembering correctly, they took vacations together the entire time they knew each other.

It was the basis for the characters in The Man Who Came to Dinner played on screen by Monty Woolley and Jimmy Durante.

I also suppose you could offer odd married couples too,

As the marriage of the statuesque and gorgeous ANN BANCROFT to the gnomish troll-like MEL BROOKS is a prime example.

The "heart-throb" singer TOM JONES's first wife wasn't much of a looker either.

Sepiatone

Stephen Sondheim was BFF (and maybe more) with Anthony Perkins-- they wrote THE LAST OF SHEILA together based on their real life exaggerated scavenger hunts

Bizarre but real marriages include Cary Grant & Betsy Drake, and craziest of all, Mickey Rooney & Ava Gardner

Bizarre but real marriages include Cary Grant & Betsy Drake, and craziest of all, Mickey Rooney & Ava Gardner

Don't get me wrong, I got nuthin' but love for Mickey......

But Mickey Rooney married to ANY of his long list of exes seemed a bit bizarre.

But, also love 'em both.....but the close friendship between DAVID NIVEN and ERROL FLYNN wouldn't have seemed likely( mostly based on their screen personas).

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I got nuthin' but love for Mickey......

But Mickey Rooney married to ANY of his long list of exes seemed a bit bizarre.

But, also love 'em both.....but the close friendship between DAVID NIVEN and ERROL FLYNN wouldn't have seemed likely( mostly based on their screen personas).

Sepiatone

Errol Flynn and David Niven shared a house that they rented from Rosalind Russell.  Due to their hard partying, Russell nicknamed the house, "Cirrhosis by the sea." 

I agree that their friendship seems somewhat unlikely.  Though it seems that Flynn was friends with a lot of different people.  He was also good friends with Patric Knowles, which also seems unlikely.  Knowles' persona reminds me of a somewhat blander version of Niven.