Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody!

I just wanted to take a moment to wish everyone here on the General Discussions forum, a very special Happy Thanksgiving today!

I surely hope that those of you who are traveling today take extra precautions while driving and or flying to the destinations you are heading to.

Then hopefully you will all be surrounded by your family and or friends and enjoy a meal "fit for a king".

For me, this was going to be a very quiet Thanksgiving. Just my wife Annie and I and our special four legged family member, Bella. But I am still recovering from a bout of Bronchitis and my wife Annie was just admitted to the hospital yesterday for pneumonia. I am hoping and praying that she makes a speedy recovery. I saw her last evening and she looked so much better than when she did when the ambulance came yesterday morning.

So my Thanksgiving will all be about making sure Annie recovers and comes home soon. I will be lurking around here probably most of the day, so if any of you would like to comment about what you will be doing today, please do so. I would love to hear what plans you all have.

Enjoy! :D

Rey

• Like 9

fxreyman--A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.  I too will be having a very quiet day.  First, hopes and prayers you and your wife recover quickly from health problems.  Second, your work with statistics is Much Appreciated.  I will be on the computer most of the day, watching "Kim" (1951) & "The Phantom Tollbooth" (1969) on TCM--have seen rest of the days' schedule--although might check out "Desk Set"  (1957)--has been a while since I've seen it (I've seen all of Hepburn/Tracy except "The Sea of Grass" (1947). Happy Thanksgiving to your dog? cat? Bella.  Take care and have a Happy Turkey Day! :D

• Like 6

Rey, I hope everyone gets better soon but try to have a great day. My SO and I are eating out for the holiday so no driving very far and best of all no clean up. My kind of holiday, plus I don't have to be around people I don't necessarily get along with. It's a win-win for me.

• Like 7

Happy Thanksgiving to Rey and everyone else. I'll be having dinner with my "main squeeze" and my mom (who will be 92 in January and is still on top of her game). Then I will be spending the rest of the day helping my girlfriend move stuff into her new apartment. It is supposed to be a very pleasant high 40s - mid 50s day here. Maybe some wild turkeys will stroll by today - we see them often.

And might I suggest that all "left wing" and "right wing" conversation today "center" around which side of the bird you are choosing. ;)

• Like 10

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends  !

I'm not doing anything special today, actually might go to see a new movie tonight (maybe "Spotlight"). We celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada back in October.

But I believe a lot of the traditions are the same: family, turkey, cranberries, relaxing, maybe football.  I wish you all a lovely holiday.

• Like 11

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends  !

I'm not doing anything special today, actually might go to see a new movie tonight (maybe "Spotlight"). We celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada back in October.

But I believe a lot of the traditions are the same: family, turkey, cranberries, relaxing, maybe football.  I wish you all a lovely holiday.

Do they have pin the tail on the snow goose or play jump the weeds?

• Like 5

Hi Rey, thanks for the greetings.  Hope you and your wife both get better fast, and anyone else too for that matter.

Well our family is going to friends of the family to eat.  Should be fine.  Last time we visited them for Thanksgiving they cooked up a mysterious thing called "turducken" (turkey + duck + chicken).  Something must have gone wrong with that particular bird, it didn't end well.  This time they are getting back to basics, which is what I think it is all about.

To all a Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 7

Thank you Rey.  I hope you and your wife feel better soon. 

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from the beautiful Pacific Northwest! 

mmwitx.jpg

I have a four day weekend.  I'm celebrating Thanksgiving with my family and my husband.  After our dinner, I have to go over to my husband's family's Thanksgiving dinner.  Suffice it to say, MAJOR tryptophan coma for me tonight.  Today's agenda calls for football and eating and Kraken spiced rum.  Later, we'll have to watch our annual Thanksgiving movie: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  Probably followed up by Grumpy Old Men, which also features Thanksgiving. I also brought a bunch of Lucy, Mary Tyler Moore and other movies.  If only I could somehow stream the contents of my DVR onto my parents' TV, I'd be set. 

Tomorrow, instead of getting mixed up in the mess of people, I may check out the Black Friday sales online from the comfort of my parents' living room.  Tomorrow is also the annual Civil War football game: the University of Oregon Ducks versus the Oregon State Beavers.  I'm going to have to root for my beloved Ducks!

The rest of the weekend will probably be much of the same.  My mom and I may drive up to the Portland Expo Center and check out "America's Largest Christmas Bazaar." 

EDITED to copy Dargo and add a photo! 

Edited by speedracer5
  • Like 10

Thanksgiving movie: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  Probably followed up by Grumpy Old Men, which also features Thanksgiving. I also brought a bunch of Lucy, Mary Tyler Moore and other movies.  If only I could somehow stream the contents of my DVR onto my parents' TV, I'd be set. 

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Great movies for the holidays speedracer :)

I hope you have a great time.  I'm planning to watch more Spencer and Tracey movies tonight but if the wife or kids are not in the mood I may put those one ... possibly during the Desk Set which we've already watched today

• Like 6

Happy Thanksgiving from Florida! Temp in the mid-to-upper 70's, sun shining for the most part. Had my sisters and their families over for turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, too many casseroles and lots of pie. Played some board games, and everyone left full and happy. I cleaned up already, so it's me and the dogs watching ELVIS: THE MOVIE.

Hope everyone the very best in health, home and happiness!

• Like 6

Happy Thanksgiving to all from Sedona AZ.

sedona.jpg

Today, close friends, a couple from SoCal and a couple from Prescott AZ are coming over to share the turkey dinner my wife has prepared.

Here's to everyone enjoying the coming holiday season!

Cheers,

Dargo

(...and to Rey...thanks for starting this thread, and I hope you and Annie get well very soon)

• Like 10

:) We are truly thankful around here today!  My neighbor's lovable little grey dog, who looks like a mop but has a face that would melt a rock, was very ill earlier this week and we feared she would have to have him put down.  Somehow the meds she got for him did the trick and he was walking around her place this morning.  I smoked a turkey breast topped with bacon slices on my stovetop smoker for a hour then finished it in the oven per a recipe I found online.  I've never had one come out as juicy and tasty.  I also did my gourmet cornbread dressing and green bean casserole with carrots and mushrooms for my neighbor and a friend upstairs to rave reviews.  In between cooking I watched The National Dog Show; this was the first time I have ever seen one where all seven finalists were so great I didn't care who won Best in Show. I talked to family and finally got the kitchen cleaned up. 

This is one of the best I've ever had.  I'm happy so many of you had a great one too!

• Like 7

A very Happy Thanksgiving from Northern California where it will be in the 30s tonight!

It was a quiet day watching Desk Set and something I maybe shouldn't admit, Thanksgiving and Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel.  A dose of heartwarming schmaltz can occasionally be a good thing!

I'm thankful for so much, including TCM and our great group here.  Good wishes to everyone for a lovely holiday season.

• Like 6

Happy belated thanksgiving to all, and very belatedly to our Canadian friends. Hope and wish for the best in everyone's health and well-being, including your four-legged and/or feathered family members.

I spent Thursday cooking and cleaning, as my house was the scene of the family gathering this year. Everything turned out great, and even my brother who does the in-law thing showed up, with some of his in-laws. After all the football, somone put it on TCM, and people seemed to enjoy STATE OF THE UNION.

Yesterday, the only Black Friday activity I did was go to the quarterly Fire Sale at the local bookstore, where selected used books sell for $2.00. I spent $65.00, getting.mostly movie biographies and film books; Lord knows how much I'd spend if I wandered into other areas.

Again, wishing blessings and health to you and yours in the holiday season.

• Like 6