Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM, GIVE A REST TO CHARADE!!!

Palmerin

First, you play it too often; second, Audrey Hepburn is given NOTHING TO DO!

Her character has no personality; all that she does is look chic in expensive fashions that that widow clearly cannot afford.

According to MovieCollectorOH's excellent research over on the How Can TCM Improve thread, by his count Charade has been scheduled 32 times since 2001.

CHARADE is one I give a pass to for all sorts of reasons:

1. It hasn't been on all that much until the recent 12 months

2. It is a film that is in the public domain, as a mistake on the part of the movie studio, but as such I assume it's free or next or free for TCm to show, and considering that it is by no means a bad movie, it's a perfectly sensible choice for them to fill two hours of their time with a quality film that doesn't cost anything and appeals to all sorts of people, Grant and Hepburn being 2 stars who still have pretty strong following today.

3. There are certain films that are used as filler alot and I don't like them for two reasons: one: they are looooooooong and two: they are boring. "Doctor Zhivago," "it's a mad mad mad mad mad mad world", and " 55 days at Peking" all come immediately to mind, although there are others.

So: there are worse ways to kill 120 minutes then CHARADE, even if you don't want to spend that time watching i, you know that in 2 hours something else will be on. (Unlike ZHIVAGO, where it's pretty much the entire afternoon wiped out.)

Ps- using my phone to post and using voice transcription, therefore this thing is probably loaded with typos and weird words sorry.

• Like 4

I would like to in invite TCM to play any movie as many times as they wish. If I find I don't want to watch a given movie on a certain day (whether it is played often or not) I am certain to find something else to do with my life at the time the movie is playing.

:P

• Like 6

I've got bigger things to be concerned about than the number of times that a particular film is repeated on TCM.

And others have more important things to worry about than how many times someone lauds Errol Flynn or John Barrymore. We all come to the discussion with things that matter to us. Slamming someone because they place a priority on something we do not place a priority on is simply being a bad sport. 

I think this thread is charming, because it shows how a viewer is personalizing what he or she sees on TCM. That's the kind of feedback these boards were created for-- so viewers can dialogue about what they see on the channel, what they like and what they don't like. If it upsets you that someone doesn't like something about TCM, in this case overplaying a particular movie, then skip their threads. 

• Like 1

I'll take "Charade" over "Bedazzled" - which TCM seemed to play about once a week for awhile - any day of the week.

Yeah, I don't care for BEDAZZLED. I don't really care for CHARADE either, but it's slightly better. Someone earlier said Audrey has nothing to do in it but model chic fashions-- and when I read that, I realized that is what I don't like about 90% of her films, especially most of the ones she made in the 60s. When I see her in these limp vehicles, I forget that she really could act and had been nominated for several Oscars. And I don't find her sexy at all because I find her way too anorexic. But that's another conversation. 

• Like 1

I've got bigger things to be concerned about than the number of times that a particular film is repeated on TCM.

Of course, I fully understand why those who spend a good portion of their lives obsessing over the number of times films come on TCM might not agree with my viewpoint.

• Like 3

Of course, I fully understand why those who spend a good portion of their lives obsessing over the number of times films come on TCM might not agree with my viewpoint.

Hmmmm. The point of earlier comments was that we should be good sports about letting others vent their criticisms of TCM, even if we happen to disagree with them, as long as they are following the code of conduct. Suggesting that people are obsessing about things seems like an intentional swipe to discredit someone else's point of view. 

y'know, believe it or not, i really do try to stay out of these things, but i cannot help but be thoroughly amused whenever anyone on any message board or comments section proceeds to gather the hem of their garments to tread into the muck and sewage of the discourse and alert everyone about how they've got way cooler things to do than take the time to even acknowledge the very existence of such things...and then proceed to take the time to acknowledge not only their existence, but also the fact that they spent minutes of their ostensibly precious time reading it.

• Like 3

y'know, believe it or not, i really do try to stay out of these things, but i cannot help but be thoroughly amused whenever anyone on any message board or comments section proceeds to gather the hem of their garments to tread into the muck and sewage of the discourse and alert everyone about how they've got way cooler things to do than take the time to even acknowledge the very existence of such things...and then proceed to take the time to acknowledge not only their existence, but also the fact that they spent minutes of their ostensibly precious time reading it.

The point here is that the OP dislikes CHARADE. So what. We all have movies we dislike and prefer TCM not air.

And it wasn't like the OP went on other threads and kept harping about how much he or she hates CHARADE. It's a standalone thread airing a single gripe. We've seen worse on these boards. It's time to stop trying to quash a point of view that is different than our own. 

If you happen to like CHARADE or the fact TCM plays it almost as often as it airs those silly wine commercials, then send them an email telling them to keep up the good work! LOL

• Like 1

Yeah, the wine thing is dumb. I don't get where that is coming from at all.

It's coming from the fact that they are trying to become a lifestyle channel. And it is also coming from the fact that they are aiming at upper middle class viewers. The irony is that a lot of the loyal message board posters are retirees on fixed incomes who can barely afford to keep cable. So there's a disconnect going on, with them positioning/rebranding TCM in a way that just goes off from who the hardcore audience seems to be. I think they are trying to attract more upscale demographics. It's a misfire, and I see people continuing to complain about it...the wine business nonsense. They need to rethink that whole weird enterprise. Watching Ben sit and get cozy with that other guy over a glass of wine is just ______ (fill in the blank, children). I am embarrassed for him. It's a low point for this channel.

But hey, at least they're not watching CHARADE while they let the vino and the pretentiousness aerate. 

• Like 1

It's coming from the fact that they are trying to become a lifestyle channel. And it is also coming from the fact that they are aiming at upper middle class viewers. The irony is that a lot of the loyal message board posters are retirees on fixed incomes who can barely afford to keep cable. So there's a disconnect going on, with them positioning/rebranding TCM in a way that just goes off from who the hardcore audience seems to be. I think they are trying to attract more upscale demographics. It's a misfire, and I see people continuing to complain about it...the wine business nonsense. They need to rethink that whole weird enterprise. Watching Ben sit and get cozy with that other guy over a glass of wine is just ______ (fill in the blank, children). I am embarrassed for him. It's a low point for this channel.

But hey, at least they're not watching CHARADE while they let the vino and the pretentiousness aerate. 

Are you assuming most retirees are hurting financially?

LornaHansonForbes, on 28 Nov 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:snapback.png

y'know, believe it or not, i really do try to stay out of these things, but i cannot help but be thoroughly amused whenever anyone on any message board or comments section proceeds to gather the hem of their garments to tread into the muck and sewage of the discourse and alert everyone about how they've got way cooler things to do than take the time to even acknowledge the very existence of such things...and then proceed to take the time to acknowledge not only their existence, but also the fact that they spent minutes of their ostensibly precious time reading it.

The point here is that the OP dislikes CHARADE. So what. We all have movies we dislike and prefer TCM not air.

And it wasn't like the OP went on other threads and kept harping about how much he or she hates CHARADE. It's a standalone thread airing a single gripe. We've seen worse on these boards. It's time to stop trying to quash a point of view that is different than our own. 

If you happen to like CHARADE or the fact TCM plays it almost as often as it airs those silly wine commercials, then send them an email telling them to keep up the good work! LOL

You have to admit that they way Lorna phased that is REEEEALLY funny and actually I agree with her sentiment for some posts I've seen so far plus I don't think she intended to be mean about it LOL

• Like 2

Are you assuming most retirees are hurting financially?

No, not at all. In fact, TCM's marketing schemes probably expect that many have disposable incomes. But a lot of comments on these boards in the past few years indicate that there are a number of others who are struggling with increasing cable costs. To me, that suggests there are retirees (and non-retirees) who probably cannot afford the cruises and the wine, if they have to cut their cable TV. I don't think TCM's marketing schemes care about such people.