Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Decided to watch a bit of "Desk Set" to see the scene where Katharine's flowers turn from white to pink in a moment, as she walks.

This got me to thinking about other favorite film flubs and anachronisms like when ancient Romans during Caesar's reign are wearing modern wrist watches and other such fun.

I also love when mikes show up above actor in scenes in B-movies and when kids scream and hold their ears before guns are shot in scenes.

Name your favorite flubs on film.

There's a scene in "The Adventures of Robin Hood," where Errol Flynn delivers the deer to Claude Rains during the banquet and there are only a few arrows in his quiver. During the ensuing fight, Flynn shoots arrow after arrow, far exceeding the number he had stocked in his quiver. However, he never runs out of arrows. The same number remains throughout the entire battle.

• Like 1

Wow, Speedracer I've seen that movie like twenty times being a big Errol fan and never noticed that.

And I do so love the great sound of those legendary arrows in all the scenes as they have that wonderful "Fwap" sound.

Thanks for this great flub of which to watch in the future.

• Like 1

I'm terrible at noticing things like flubs, but my favorite is in the movie Mysterious Island. There's a scene where the Captain of the little group is fighting some kind of creature in a cave. Depending on the angle, Michael Craig has, and then doesn't have, facial hair.

Since it was pointed out to me some time back by someone around here, every time I now watch the following "oh so seldom shown" movie on TCM which contains a scene set in a certain National Monument's guest cafeteria and in which Eva Marie Saint shoots Cary Grant, I now can't take my eyes off that little kid in the background who places his hands over his ears JUST before Eva pulls the trigger on her little .32 caliber automatic.

(...yep, EVERY single time!)

• Like 1

Director Robert Bresson was well known for casting amateurs in the lead roles in his films.  In quite a few shots in Pickpocket (1959) Martin LaSalle enters a room and when he stops he always looks at the floor.  Once I twigged to this I couldn't help thinking he was looking at his marks - pieces of tape put down on the floor which tell him where to stop so that the cameraman can ensure that he is framed properly and in focus.

I have since read an article praising the acting in Pickpocket as being very natural.  The critic cited the fact that the humble actors were always gazing at the floor.  I think this critic missed the fact that the 'actors' were looking at the floor only when they came to a stop.  Just my HO.

• Like 1

There's a scene in "The Adventures of Robin Hood," where Errol Flynn delivers the deer to Claude Rains during the banquet and there are only a few arrows in his quiver. During the ensuing fight, Flynn shoots arrow after arrow, far exceeding the number he had stocked in his quiver. However, he never runs out of arrows. The same number remains throughout the entire battle.

Reminds me of those westerns where the gunmen never run out of bullets. Never reload either.

• Like 1

I watch a lot of grade B or lower movies, and I see the boom mike bouncing around everyone's heads all the time. But I recently had a laughing fit while watching IT'S ALIVE 2: IT LIVES AGAIN, when the boom mike came up from below during a scene with people sitting around a living room. I saw it weaving behind the coffee table, and I thought it was a strange dog at first before realizing what it was.

A bit off course from the usual B-movie fare is The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001).  It is a tribute to 1950s "bad" movies that I think every bad movie fan should see.  In this honey of a flick, there is a couple living out in a cabin in the middle of the woods.  Why?  Because he is a scientist.  And he wears a pressed white shirt and often reminds us he is a scientist.

There are multiple establishing shots of their cabin from the outside.  Sometimes you see a cabin with a front door, in the middle of its front-facing wall, and a ground level porch.  Other times you see what is supposed to be the same cabin, but clearly a different one, where the entrance is on the left-facing side wall (not on the front) and the porch is really high off the ground.

Also in the DVD extras, they mention that a spaceship door that got stuck as it opening was NOT intentional, but in the spirit of the movie they left it in.

Too many problems to mention here, but if you see it, you can tell they had fun making it.

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307109/

• Like 3

Seeing the boom in films on television was often the result of it playing in the wrong aspect ratio.

The film projection format (particularly 70's and 80's films) leaves less room at the top and bottom of the frame.  But more is exposed on the film negative and this area was revealed when it was shown on television.  Hence one could see the boom.

Sound men would naturally want to get the boom in as close as possible and would use this tv cutoff area as it would not show up when projected theatrically.

"Boom in the shot" is fairly common even today.  And always tickles me when I spot it.

I also seemed to have noticed in the beginning of THE DEFIANT ONES, Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier running up a small hill with Curtis's LEFT hand handcuffed to Poitier's RIGHT, but when the perspective changes to behind them running down the other side of the hill, their positions have changed.

Another of my favorites involves "the wrong prop".

I've seen movies that were supposed to be taking place in the mid to early 1950's in which a household has a "Princess" phone.  The phone wasn't introduced by AT&T until 1959!

I can't off hand think of the specific movies, but I've seen some in which ghosts cast shadows,  And often, food won't ever get eaten or coffee will barely get drank.  Wrong hair-dos for the times, and sometimes fashions out of place.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

A bit off course from the usual B-movie fare is The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001).  It is a tribute to 1950s "bad" movies that I think every bad movie fan should see.  In this honey of a flick, there is a couple living out in a cabin in the middle of the woods.  Why?  Because he is a scientist.  And he wears a pressed white shirt and often reminds us he is a scientist.

There are multiple establishing shots of their cabin from the outside.  Sometimes you see a cabin with a front door, in the middle of its front-facing wall, and a ground level porch.  Other times you see what is supposed to be the same cabin, but clearly a different one, where the entrance is on the left-facing side wall (not on the front) and the porch is really high off the ground.

Also in the DVD extras, they mention that a spaceship door that got stuck as it opening was NOT intentional, but in the spirit of the movie they left it in.

Too many problems to mention here, but if you see it, you can tell they had fun making it.

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307109/

This movie cracked me up. I loved when the scientist would scold his wife for interrupting him while he was "doing science".

I think they made a few sequels, but I never got around to seeing them.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is a flub persay, or it's indicative of a small wardrobe budget: but in The Long, Long Trailer (my favorite movie ever), five different characters wear the same jacket (light blue with dark blue cuffs and collar) in the film.  

• Like 3

The Big Sleep.    Marlow has a gun holder that is under the front panel of the passenger side of his car.   In one scene he pulls out a gun from one side.   In a future scene he goes to get another gun and the remaining gun is back where the gun he had previously pulled out was.     

This movie cracked me up. I loved when the scientist would scold his wife for interrupting him while he was "doing science".

I think they made a few sequels, but I never got around to seeing them.

These seem to get good comments in the IMDB comments section as "recreations" or "reenactments" of earlier films, versus just being parodies or spoofs.

Larry Blamire - directer/writer/actor:

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001) (as mentioned) - A bad scientist and wife, a mad scientist and skeleton, two aliens and their escaped pet are all searching for the elusive element "atmospherium".

Sound Mix: Mono

Color: Black and White

The Lost Skeleton Returns Again (2009) - Jerranium 90, a "little rock" that made all the papers, is buried deep within the Amazon. And everybody wants it...   [trivia] Of the five characters encoring from the first Lost Skeleton film (The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (2001)), all but Dr. Paul Armstrong wear the same costumes they did in the original.

Dark and Stormy Night (2009) - In the 1930s the family of old Sinas Cavinder, gathered for the reading of his will, find themselves being murdered by a mysterious phantom while two rival reporters compete for the story.

Sound Mix: Mono

Trail of the Screaming Forehead (2007) - A small town infestation of crawling alien foreheads that begin attaching to people and taking them over collides with a scientist's experiments to extract foreheadazine and things go horribly horribly wrong.

Meet the Mobsters (2005) - Down-and-out lounge singer Johnny Slade is hired by a mystery man to open a hot new club, the catch being he's given a new--and terrible--song to sing each night. Noticing that whenever he sings one a new crime is committed, Johnny gradually realizes his songwriter-benefactor is a powerful mob boss in hiding and his "Greatest Hits" are the only way the man can give orders to his crew...

Others (various):

Lobster Man from Mars (1989) - Young film student tries to sell his weird movie to a desparate film producer who is in need of a tax write-off.

Alien Trespass (2009) - After crash landing near a desert town, an alien enlists the help of a local waitress to re-capture a monster that escaped from the wreckage of his space ship.

• Like 2

I've mentioned this in some other thread about something else, and still  not sure it's a bona fide "flub" or was intentional.....

But in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE , and the scene in which Jon Wayne intercepts Jimmy Stewart on his way to 'practice" with Mr. Peabody's old gun, and Wayne fires the paint cans off the fenceposts and covers Stewart with whitewash, Stewart stomps up to Wayne and decks him, saying, "Well, I don't like tricks either. So I guess that MAYSKS US even!"

Did Stewart INTEND to say it that way?  Or WHAT?

Sepiatone

I've mentioned this in some other thread about something else, and still  not sure it's a bona fide "flub" or was intentional.....

But in THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE , and the scene in which Jon Wayne intercepts Jimmy Stewart on his way to 'practice" with Mr. Peabody's old gun, and Wayne fires the paint cans off the fenceposts and covers Stewart with whitewash, Stewart stomps up to Wayne and decks him, saying, "Well, I don't like tricks either. So I guess that MAYSKS US even!"

Did Stewart INTEND to say it that way?  Or WHAT?

Sepiatone

Dang if you're not right, Sepia!...

Never noticed this before.

(...I dunno...maybe Jimmy somehow figured it might improve that scene if he said the word "makes" like how Popeye always said it in his cartoons?...just a guess of course) ;)

I don't know if this is a flub persay, or it's indicative of a small wardrobe budget: but in The Long, Long Trailer (my favorite movie ever), five different characters wear the same jacket (light blue with dark blue cuffs and collar) in the film.

As it is, TCM will be airing SUNDAY, JANUARY 17 @ 06:15 PM (ET) the Long, Long Trailer. I have seen this movie a couple of times but never picked up on your aforementioned re: wardrobe. This time when I watch it again, I will certainly be taking note!

Thanks for mentioning this movie, it is a good one for laughs.

• Like 1

As it is, TCM will be airing SUNDAY, JANUARY 17 @ 06:15 PM (ET) the Long, Long Trailer. I have seen this movie a couple of times but never picked up on your aforementioned re: wardrobe. This time when I watch it again, I will certainly be taking note!

Thanks for mentioning this movie, it is a good one for laughs.

From memory, I believe the following characters wear the jacket.  I've seen this movie a billion times, but now I'm having to rack my brain trying to remember all the coat's appearances.  Lol. 

-A lady wears the jacket to the impromptu housewarming party in the trailer on Lucy and Desi's wedding night.

-Desi wears it when he sings the "Ragu of Beef" song while Lucy is flailing around in the back of the trailer.  He also wears it when Lucy drives.

-The manager who helps Lucy re-distribute the weight of her rocks and canning the day of the big ascent up the mountain wears the jacket.

-When Desi is backing the trailer into the driveway, a man in the background is wearing the blue jacket.

It seems to me that it shows up on someone else, but I can't remember who. 

pc3f9.jpg

• Like 2