Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Second TCM?

ClassicAngel

Recently I've noticed(and I'm sure many others have)that TCM is having much newer movies being shown. Some like the Hurt Locker which is only a few years old. Now I know that some interpret classic differently yet many like myself would consider anything before like the 60's or 70's classic. This could turn some off as AMC made a similar move about ten years ago where now with the exception of some westerns they now SELDOM show anything earlier than the 80's but I think I have a solution that could make everyone happy.....How about a TCM 2? One TCM could show everything up until say the middle 50's and the second could show movies that came afterward. It's something I've been thinking of as I'm a huge fan of 1940's movies but understand some like movies from different eras as well. What do you think?

Recently I've noticed(and I'm sure many others have)that TCM is having much newer movies being shown. Some like the Hurt Locker which is only a few years old. Now I know that some interpret classic differently yet many like myself would consider anything before like the 60's or 70's classic. This could turn some off as AMC made a similar move about ten years ago where now with the exception of some westerns they now SELDOM show anything earlier than the 80's but I think I have a solution that could make everyone happy.....How about a TCM 2? One TCM could show everything up until say the middle 50's and the second could show movies that came afterward. It's something I've been thinking of as I'm a huge fan of 1940's movies but understand some like movies from different eras as well. What do you think?

This idea has been floated around for many years now.    While it is a sound idea from a viewer perspective a TCM-post-1970 movies type channel doesn't make much business sense.    The primary reason being that recent released movies cost more to lease and therefore it would be difficult for this channel to be commercial free like TCM is today.  

• Like 3

I am afraid that if there were two TCMs then both channels would suffer.  Having separate channels would essentially double the cost of operating the channel.  Turner would essentially have to hire an entire new staff to mirror the existing staff for the new channel.  There'd have to be separate hosts, programmers, etc.  I am afraid that TCM would resort to having to have commercials or other means in order to accommodate the extra operating costs.  I'm also afraid that the overall quality of the two TCMs would diminish.    

I will use my example of what happened to my beloved Nick at Nite back in the early 00s (not saying that this would happen with TCM, but this is what I'm afraid would happen).  Nick at Nite in the mid-90s to early 00s was my favorite thing to watch in the evenings.  It was a great channel--retro inspired jingles and graphics, quality programming, etc. My only complaint is it had commercials, but it was a small complaint.  Anyway.  In the late 90s, TVLand was formed.  It was originally an all classic television channel--basically an all-day version of Nick at Nite.  Nick at Nite was Nickelodeon from 8pm to 6am.  TVLand and Nick at Nite ran concurrently for a couple of years and were decent.  Then eventually, the programming on Nick at Nite slowly changed into newer shows (like shows that had just ended a couple years prior) and all the cool retro aesthetics were gone.  The shows were shipped off to TVLand, which was better than nothing.  TVLand was okay for a few years.  Then, slowly but surely, the old shows left TVLand and newer shows joined.  Now both Nick at Nite and TVLand show very few old shows (Nick at Nite doesn't show any) and tons of original programming.  God help us if TCM started airing "reality" shows. 

The ratio of old movies to "new" are probably about 3:1.  There is no need to worry that TCM is going downhill because they aired The Hurt Locker once, as part of a series on "Women in Filmmaking." November's SOTM was Norma Shearer, December's is Frank Sinatra and January is Fred MacMurray.  Three upcoming months where old films are guaranteed to be featured in Primetime. 

Welcome to the boards! :-)

• Like 6

I am in agreement with Speedracer on this one.   I think the two examples cited are great reasons to stay away from the idea. 

Now, an option to stream TCM on the internet (without prior cable subscription), I would jump on that in a heartbeat.  Right now, they do, but I think it's very limited to Sling (a DishTV product with TCM surcharge) or on a Playstation (I didn't think the TCM profile fit a gamer, but maybe they see something I don't).

• Like 3

I am in agreement with Speedracer on this one.   I think the two examples cited are great reasons to stay away from the idea. 

Now, an option to stream TCM on the internet (without prior cable subscription), I would jump on that in a heartbeat.  Right now, they do, but I think it's very limited to Sling (a DishTV product with TCM surcharge) or on a Playstation (I didn't think the TCM profile fit a gamer, but maybe they see something I don't).

I would be open to streaming TCM, even though I like having my DVR, so it'd have to be an expanded version of the "Watch TCM" app.  With the "Watch TCM" app, you have to subscribe to a provider that carries TCM.  I think I have the app on my phone, though I prefer to watch on a larger screen. I wasn't aware that the TCM app was on Playstation.  I have one of those too--thanks for that info, then I could stream on my TV! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think TCM can afford to spin off with another "commercial free" sub-station. Besides, it's covered-

TCM gets a lot of positive attention and several over-the-air stations are trying to follow their success with a "classic movie" format.  PBS shows PD movies uninterrupted (obviously) but some older movies like last night's Edward Robinson triubute on GET, and some "newer" like Spike Lee movies on BOUNCE.

There are some problems with the arguments made in this thread. First, there is no proof that TCM will end up like AMC or will end up like Nick at Nite and TVLand. They have different corporate parents and different business models.

Plus-- and here's the biggest thing-- those other channels have to lease everything they show (with the exception of their original programming). TCM, which falls under Warner, has much easier access to films from WB, MGM, RKO and UA-- which means its library will always be more extensive than those other channels and will not have to offset with more original programming, unless they want to do so.

Making a TCM2 would probably mean that the overplayed titles from TCM's library air more often. In theory, TCM would have more time to broadcast NORTH BY NORTHWEST and CASABLANCA on TCM1 if they moved the post-1970 films to TCM2. That would also mean something like THE WAY WE WERE and VICTOR VICTORIA would be able to air more on TCM2. Do people want more repeats if TCM's programming department suddenly has to fill a 24-hour schedule twice each day?

The reason this thread was created was because people want TCM to show only golden age films.  The reason there were 'false arguments' presented in the thread, is because people want TCM to be an all-purpose, all-generation channel. 

And I am not done..because not once in any of the prior posts did anyone mention that with alternate platforms like Watch TCM or on-demand, the way we experience TCM is already changing and moving beyond one basic cable channel version of TCM. So in a way, there already are other TCMs. When I click on Sling on my Smart TV and find TCM, I have the option of watching the live TCM feed, or watching over 25 films that TCM offers as a separate feature on Sling. I can make my own personalized version of TCM-- I can select certain films and create my own schedule of classic films. And if I only want pre-1970 or if I only want post-1970 films TCM has provided on Sling, then I can watch exactly that. In short, I can watch what I want when I want. I do not need a TCM2 or a TCM3. I need a TCM for Me, and that is what I have on Sling. 

There are some problems with the arguments made in this thread. First, there is no proof that TCM will end up like AMC or will end up like Nick at Nite and TVLand. They have different corporate parents and different business models.

Plus-- and here's the biggest thing-- those other channels have to lease everything they show (with the exception of their original programming). TCM, which falls under Warner, has much easier access to films from WB, MGM, RKO and UA-- which means its library will always be more extensive than those other channels and will not have to offset with more original programming, unless they want to do so.

Making a TCM2 would probably mean that the overplayed titles from TCM's library air more often. In theory, TCM would have more time to broadcast NORTH BY NORTHWEST and CASABLANCA on TCM1 if they moved the post-1970 films to TCM2. That would also mean something like THE WAY WE WERE and VICTOR VICTORIA would be able to air more on TCM2. Do people want more repeats if TCM's programming department suddenly has to fill a 24-hour schedule twice each day?

The reason this thread was created was because people want TCM to show only golden age films.  The reason there were 'false arguments' presented in the thread, is because people want TCM to be an all-purpose, all-generation channel. 

And I am not done..because not once in any of the prior posts did anyone mention that with alternate platforms like Watch TCM or on-demand, the way we experience TCM is already changing and moving beyond one basic cable channel version of TCM. So in a way, there already are other TCMs. When I click on Sling on my Smart TV and find TCM, I have the option of watching the live TCM feed, or watching over 25 films that TCM offers as a separate feature on Sling. I can make my own personalized version of TCM-- I can select certain films and create my own schedule of classic films. And if I only want pre-1970 or if I only want post-1970 films TCM has provided on Sling, then I can watch exactly that. In short, I can watch what I want when I want. I do not need a TCM2 or a TCM3. I need a TCM for Me, and that is what I have on Sling. 

I wouldn't assume that IF TCM showed less post-1970 films it would show more repeats of pre-1970 films like NBNW etc...  Isn't that overly pessimistic?    Instead TCM could show those thousand of studio-era films that are in the TCM 'library' that they rarely or never show.  

I do agree that TCM is already moving in a direction where users have more choice to select what they wish to see instead of being held hostage (so to speak),  by the TCM programmer's choice of films for any given time slot.

In this way this thread is behind the times just like standard cable is.

I wouldn't assume that IF TCM showed less post-1970 films it would show more repeats of pre-1970 films like NBNW etc...  Isn't that overly pessimistic?    Instead TCM could show those thousand of studio-era films that are in the TCM 'library' that they rarely or never show.  

I don't think I'm being pessimistic. Or negative. I am just saying that they would have to fill those extra hours. And chances are, if they don't have a NORMA RAE or a JAWS for a plum primetime spot, they would repeat the most popular pre-1970 movies to keep the audience tuned in during the evenings. Again, that's not a slam-- that's a practical consideration of TCM's business model and how it attracts audiences by building themes with reputable stars in well-known films.

To think that they would suddenly acquire more outside Paramount or Universal films, or that primetime would become a place for B films with non-name stars-- well, it seems unrealistic given how TCM historically creates its schedules.

I do agree that TCM is already moving in a direction where users have more choice to select what they wish to see instead of being held hostage (so to speak),  by the TCM programmer's choice of films for any given time slot.

In this way this thread is behind the times just like standard cable is.

Yes, this thread is behind the times because the people who are trying to preserve TCM or keep it a certain way are unfortunately out of touch. They fail to see how innovative this channel really is...how by partnering with Sling and other providers, TCM is already recreating its own brand in terms of the way it is made available to consumers.

Most of the people commenting in the thread are still looking at TCM as a cable channel, when it has already started becoming an internet-driven channel. 

A TCM2 probably wouldn't be akin to say, HBO2, 3, 4 and the others in that HBO doesn't make claim to presenting only certain types of films(like the multi-defined "classic" category and such.). However, other channels seem to do alright with a "sister" of sorts.

There IS a "History Chennel"2 for example.  On my cable service, the History Channel is channel 47.  H2 is somewhere in the lower 300's..  But I can't speak as to the quality of programming on H2, as I never often venture in those "upper" channel regions.  And besides, TCM2 would HAVE to present different movie content if the reason for it is to present and prevent the "newer" content from  being put on the original channel's schedule., and then it only really becomes another TMC, raher than an arm of TCM.

Plus, it would require more personel to operate, and therefore more overhead, which invites the danger of TCM becoming another AMC in order to generate the revenue needed for TCM2's operation.

In short, I'd just say leave it alone.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

EXCELLENT comment, James. While we appreciate knowing the schedules so far in advance, sometimes it does feel as if people are stuck re-watching something because it's something Robert Osborne picked again (yes, he has been known to repeat some of his monthly choices), or because it seems every guest programmer wants to see Movie X, or the TCM programming department still didn't get the memo that people have had their fill of NORTH BY NORTHWEST for a few years. LOL.

The problem is exacerbated when something rare that loyal viewers have been eagerly waiting to see is pulled. When there is a displaced schedule, like when the Carole Landis tribute in September was bumped to December to accommodate the sudden need for an Omar Sharif memorial (how many times has DOCTOR ZHIVAGO already aired-- Omar has had many mini-tributes on this channel because of that film)...so the viewers have to wait another three months for the titles they would rather see to be rescheduled.

With TCM now going more internet, we have films in a queue waiting to be played (which is what TCM is doing on Sling). In this regard, it is much better for the channel's consumers that do not wish to be held "hostage" to programming decisions made by others who pick films they do not want to see. And the obvious benefit is that consumers on Sling or similar providers can more easily focus on films in certain genres or time periods without having to wade through the 'junk' to get to the 'good stuff' they watch TCM to see.